English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 July 2004, 00:38   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Room 101

Welcome to Room 101.

Here you can rant about the things you despise and would like to see disappear from gaming forever.

Hate Film tie in rip offs?
Bored of 3D?
Had enough of cash in sequels?

Post your pet hate here for debate.

No flame wars please
Old 18 July 2004, 00:55   #2
Amiga1992

First Person Shooters

BEGONE!
Old 18 July 2004, 00:56   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Is it the fact that are everywhere or just the concept itself?
Old 18 July 2004, 01:03   #4
RetroMan

This thing has to go NOW !!!

- "you-need-to-upgrade-to-10Ghz-and-an-256MB-Gfx-card-because-we-cannot-code-properly" games !!!

Old 18 July 2004, 02:03   #5
Jim

Games that require CD in drive to play and offer no full-install option.

Game remakes that suck.

Introduction videos - I want all the time/money spent on the game making the game, not on something I'm going to watch once.

Annually rehashed games without cheap upgrade option - think Microsoft Flight Similator 200x, Championship Manager 0x-0x.

Ingame music that cannot be turned off.

The process of saving saved games in the programs folder rather than in the My Documents folder. This weekend my brother lost most of his game saves when I reinstalled XP and didn't think to save his saved games.

Lazy install programs that ask if you want Direct X 26 installed when you already have Direct X version 27 installed.

Lazy install programs that ask if you want Adobe Acrobat Reader 15 installed when you already have Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 installed.

Downloadable-only updates (read bug fixes). There should be a law that when you registered a game you buy the company has to send all updates on CD to your house at their expense - then we'd see a bit more quality testing before release methinks.

Games that require admin-rights to run.

Old 18 July 2004, 02:05   #6
oldpx

"powerplay" games that aren't rpgs but marketed as such, like diablo. I'm playing it like mad for two weeks because of the new ladder season but this doesn't mean I don't see what's wrong in there, it's an action game to me. btw if anyone is playing on bnet europe, I'm "burseg" there. Enough contradiction in one pharagraph

Old 18 July 2004, 14:02   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

Introduction videos - I want all the time/money spent on the game making the game, not on something I'm going to watch once.
I hate so called 'preview' videos of games that only show intro sequences or cut scenes. I usually interpret that as the game isnt worth seeing.
Old 18 July 2004, 23:10   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Is it the fact that are everywhere or just the concept itself?
It's the fact that they are all just like doom on acid. All the same.

I just don't find them any fun anymore either. Overcomplicated controls.

If you asked me in the Amiga days I might have said "platformers begone!" but I never grew tired of the overload of me-too platformers.
Old 18 July 2004, 23:20   #9
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I generally agree, but I have to confess that I watch over and over and over the Starcaft and Starcraft : Broodwar introductions and cut sequences. They are magnificent.
Old 18 July 2004, 23:54   #10
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Fifa Soccer Games.
Old 19 July 2004, 06:03   #11
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

bad save points in modern games which means every time you die you have to redo 20 minutes of play and sit through 10 mins of cut-scenes

Also Cut-Scenes that can't be skipped even though you have watched them 40 times

(Star Trek Bridge Commander on PC)

edit: mods that only work in multiplayer.... not all of us have high speed internet and would like to try the klingon bridge in quick battle mode you know...

and whats the deal with vioice commands in STBC I cant say Set Course, Fire torpedos or warp... I have to say UP, UP, Up, Engage, Down, Down, Engage to use my voice to navigate through a menu rather than bark commands...

I'm such a nerd :P

another edit: UT2004 my team lost too many times and now my team has gone bankrupt which means I have to start all the way from the begining or participate in about 40 single player deathmatches just to get enough money to pay my teammates

Well I put that one away real quick and I won't be playing it anytime soon its a shame because it can be quite good...

[end rant]
Does anybody watch "Late Night with Conan O'brien"? This thread reminds me of "Pierre Bernards Recliner of Rage"

Last edited by T_hairy_bootson; 19 July 2004 at 06:26.
Old 19 July 2004, 06:39   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

"another edit: UT2004 my team lost too many times and now my team has gone bankrupt which means I have to start all the way from the begining or participate in about 40 single player deathmatches just to get enough money to pay my teammates"

I didn't get this post. What does this mean? I have only played a demo of UT2004 in a friends home (ANd I didn't like it too much), what does money has to do with online gaming?
Old 19 July 2004, 10:29   #13
rattus

y'know what gets me angry?

Mac ports of games which are unoptimised to the point of being barely playable on all but the latest hardware!

*hugs her ORIGINAL Unreal Tournament*

man, I'm on a roll today - what should I rant about next?
Old 19 July 2004, 11:32   #14
ant512

Re-releases of old games for new systems that cost a fortune. £15 for a GBA cart containing nothing more than a NES emulator and a Super Mario Bros ROM?

And $ = £ pricing schemes. It's $40 in America, so it'll be £40 in England, despite the fact that the dollar is currently worth about 50p.
Old 19 July 2004, 11:49   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Banish these...

Game adverts which show no actual game footage. They advertise games on the cgi-fmv alone. Bad move. To me this instantly means the game is not worth buying even if it's stuffed in the bargain bin (See Harry Potter)

Games with controls that cannot be configured. This must be the easiest thing in the world to do? How hard is it to allow the user to map the controls to how he wants? If I spend £30-£40 on a game, then I should be able to set the controls to how I bloody want! (See Metroid Prime)

Games with stupid jumpy sections. Yeah games can have platform sections but having huge sections of platforms which need pin-point precision is just the most frustrating thing ever. It can ruin a game because it doesn't make you want to play it ever again. (See Turok 2)

Shitey arse lazy ports. I'm not talking ports which don't seem to work, I'm talking ports which were ported for the sake of making some money and having the game on a new system. It ruins a good game and tarnishes it's reputation. (See pretty much any early sega port to the amiga)

PAL50 ONLY games. This is the biggest crime of all. It is such a simple thing to add. I mean ffs, all they have to do is add an option in a menu to change the output from 50Hz to 60Hz. This really gets my apple. (Pretty much any shitey arse lazy PS2 game you can think of)

Official Playstation 1/2 Pads. I'm not sure if anyone else gets this, but I f-ing hate PS 1/2 pads. They have the screws in exactly the place where my fingers rest on the back. This means that without fail I get a blister and/or cut within 2 hours of playing. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I don't own a ps so I'm not gonna buy a replacement pad to carry around just in case I go around a mates house. (See PS1/PS2, PS1/PS2 Dual Shock Pads)
Old 19 July 2004, 12:37   #16
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Games that cheat, those moments where your computer just rip you off. It knows your going to win, it knows your having a great time so it decides that it is time to cheat. 'WTF!' you cry, but no one hears, you have lost. The defeat is a bitter one, you take it out on your friends and family, your gf dumps you and your pet dies.

On the subject of pin point accurate, pixel perfect jumping in games, dont you just love it when they throw in some 'if you miss this jump, its instant death and you have to start over' That makes the games so much more fun to play. Cool thread btw.
Old 19 July 2004, 12:38   #17
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
PC games in DVD boxes that don't have printed manuals and no gimmicks like maps but still cost the same as any big-box game back in the days! >(
Old 19 July 2004, 13:13   #18
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
"another edit: UT2004 my team lost too many times and now my team has gone bankrupt which means I have to start all the way from the begining or participate in about 40 single player deathmatches just to get enough money to pay my teammates"

I didn't get this post. What does this mean? I have only played a demo of UT2004 in a friends home (ANd I didn't like it too much), what does money has to do with online gaming?
In single player career mode... not online...
Old 19 July 2004, 14:25   #19
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo
Games that cheat, those moments where your computer just rip you off. It knows your going to win, it knows your having a great time so it decides that it is time to cheat. 'WTF!' you cry, but no one hears, you have lost. The defeat is a bitter one, you take it out on your friends and family, your gf dumps you and your pet dies.

I used to hate the way they showed Amiga/ST gfx on the back of C64 game boxes.
Old 29 July 2004, 15:43   #20
The_Sentinel

They should abolish games press releases, and send they who write them to the pits.

I ask you, they use the most wonderful rhetoric:

'Wholly new concept in RPG/RTS/FPS/ETC gaming' - usually means a token stealth section

'Next generation graphics engine' - Usually middleware that needs a 2 grand Alienware PC to run. OR, the game gets delayed for so long, what was 'next gen' is a laughing stock. See Daikatana.

'Endless replay factors' - ALWAYS means a cruddy skirmish mode.

You get the drift.

I mean; just look at the hype for Rise of the Robots. The adverts put all these out of context quotes from Amiga mags in a vain attempt to make it sound sublime. And people actually purchased it.