English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 July 2009, 04:14   #1
Baiame

Exile ECS in WinUAE- saving?

Hate to clog these forums with my invalidity, but I can't figure this out at all, and I've scoured the Internet. This is my first attempt at playing an Amiga game. And I really want it to succeed, cause it looks like one of the best games out there.

So I fiddled with the configuration enough to make Exile work in WinUAE 1.6, and it seems stable. But the I can't get the "Disk Save" option in Exile's save menu to do anything. Every guide I've consulted (none made for Exile in particular of course) indicates that you just need to get WinUAE to make an .adf then insert it. Easy enough, but no matter what Exile always says "YOU CAN NOT SAVE ONTO THE GAME DISK". What do I have to do? Thanks.

Old 20 July 2009, 04:40   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Are you sure you correctly inserted the disk into DF0:?

I just tested this once I trigger the save dialog:, pressed F12, floppy drives section, created a standard disk, inserted it into DF0:, pressed OK to return to the game and I then get a "want to make this an exile disk (y/n)?" message.

It then takes a while to format it(check the floppy activity indicator) and a bit later I get the save slots screen.

Not sure if that is the case, but, if you still can't get it to work, you could give a try to the whdload version, in case it has a save to hard disk feature.
Old 20 July 2009, 08:22   #3
pmc
gone

@ Baiame - Persevere with Exile cos it's superb - one of the best Amiga games I ever played (and completed... )

Regarding saving - don't forget you could also use WinUAE savestates (under the miscellaneous tab on the left of the WinUAE properties page) to save your progress if you're having problems with using disk saving from within Exile itself.
Old 20 July 2009, 08:24   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Another alternative would be to use savestates. Go to the 'Micellaneous' panel and there you'll find a 'Save state...' button.

Edit : Should type faster
Old 20 July 2009, 09:58   #5
Baiame

@lilaurl:
Oh, you have to swap disks and save to DF0:? Genius! Works fine now.

Thing is, I never saw that fact attested to anywhere. Granted I should've thought of the possibility, but still, I reckon Amiga gaming is a bit hard to break in to for someone who's never touched one. Just a simple tutorial would rectify this (or is there one that I missed?).

@pmc, TheCyberDruid:
Right, I was aware of savestates in WinUAE, but I didn't want to depend on them. I didn't know whether the emulator was 100% reliable with savestates- the only emulator I've used containing this feature that hasn't slipped it up now and again was blueMSX. I'll use them in WinUAE as well, just not exclusively.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone. Looking forward to playing Exile among a few other Amiga games I've been wanting to play for some time.

Old 20 July 2009, 10:05   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Which version of Exile are you using?
Old 20 July 2009, 10:44   #7
Baiame

^ Hmm, couldn't tell you specifically because I don't remember where I found this one (it was surprisingly difficult to track down). But apparently each of the disk files was last modified September 03 1997.

Which worries me a bit, since I read a topic here from 2002 discussing copy protection kicking in at a certain point in the game, a problem you fixed IIRC. Guess I ought to get that version.

So you are/were part of Fairlight? That's pretty awesome.

Old 20 July 2009, 10:56   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiame View Post
@pmc, TheCyberDruid:
Right, I was aware of savestates in WinUAE, but I didn't want to depend on them. I didn't know whether the emulator was 100% reliable with savestates- the only emulator I've used containing this feature that hasn't slipped it up now and again was blueMSX. I'll use them in WinUAE as well, just not exclusively.
Well, my oldest savestate on this machine is from 18.02.2006 and it still works a treat in WinUAE 1.6.1. Just my two cent of course
Old 22 July 2009, 01:21   #9
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
I'm not sure if it's the case with the Amiga version but there's shed loads of incompletable versions of Exile on the C64 as various items randomly go missing....

EDIT: Woohoo, it's only taken me 5 years to hit 100 posts
Old 22 July 2009, 10:21   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
I'm not sure if it's the case with the Amiga version but there's shed loads of incompletable versions of Exile on the C64 as various items randomly go missing....

Not anymore no, I did the 100% version a couple of years ago and a couple of people have completed it.
Old 22 July 2009, 10:28   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
Quality matters, not quantity.
Old 22 July 2009, 20:09   #12
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Not anymore no, I did the 100% version a couple of years ago and a couple of people have completed it.
I presume you were referring to Amiga there? Be a bit of a surprise to hear a 100% C64 version otherwise. XD