English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 16 August 2016, 11:47   #1
Silwuff

Cool Chip RAM mods - worth it or not?

Hi everyone, I'm still new here so thanks for having me!

I'm considering upgrading my regular A500 (rev 5) with a new Agnus chip, the 8372-A, which according to my guide would take the potential chip RAM up to 1mb when using a trapdoor expansion. This would be after a few mods to one of the jumpers and a small cut to two traces on the PCB.

Sadly the mods are permanent and involve cutting traces on parts of the board, as well as some basic soldering.

1.) why is this worth doing if I can just use the trapdoor RAM to play 1mb games anyway?

2.) is there any way to make the mods reversable? Like fitting a switch between solder points rather than cutting PCB traces. I'd rather not butcher my board.

Thanks,

Sil

Old 16 August 2016, 11:55   #2
idrougge

1) If you make animations or music with lots of samples it is worthwhile.
2) Yes, if made with care.

I still don't think it's worth doing since it's easy to get a replacement revision 6 board instead.
Old 16 August 2016, 14:59   #3
Amiga1992

There ARE expansions you can use that will lift your Chip RAM to 1MB after you have the right Agnus. I have an ICD AdRAM 540 that does exactly this (with a very simple, small modification that entails cutting a trace and soldering one wire).

Most modern games need 1MB RAM but correct me if I am wrong (I never been an A500 user back in the day), wouldn't the usual trapdoor 512KB RAM upgrades also work? Those need no modification whatsoever.
Old 16 August 2016, 15:39   #4
dirkies
Zone Friend

My rev5 has a switch to let the A501 be used as chip or slow mem, so it is not irreversible
Old 16 August 2016, 17:18   #5
buggs

I've also upgraded a Rev.5 with a 8372A Agnus. I upgraded the pads to real jumpers by soldering precision sockets over the pads. This way, I can decide whether I want compatibility or more ChipRAM.

Last edited by buggs; 16 August 2016 at 19:47. Reason: added picture link
Old 16 August 2016, 18:19   #6
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silwuff View Post
1.) why is this worth doing if I can just use the trapdoor RAM to play 1mb games anyway?
Actually there are few games, which requires 2MB Chip (Dungeon Master II, Wasted Dreams...), and few games which require more than 1MB for Hi-Res (A-Train, Sim Ant...). But overally it's not that needed for ECS config.
Old 27 August 2016, 01:16   #7
salocinx

Mini Megi upgrade increases chip RAM from 1MB to 2MB in total. I got one when I bought an Amiga 500 with A530 and the mini-meg was not mentioned in the description but was loosley hanging around between motherboard and keyboard. But as far as I know, even with the Mini Megi piggyback solution you will have to cut at least one circuit line. But it's easy fixable with a bit of soldering.
Old 27 August 2016, 03:08   #8
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Actually there are few games, which requires 2MB Chip (Dungeon Master II, Wasted Dreams...), and few games which require more than 1MB for Hi-Res (A-Train, Sim Ant...). But overally it's not that needed for ECS config.
there are more games that requires 1mb chip to work
ie dracula, overdrive etc
Old 27 August 2016, 03:45   #9
Solo Kazuki

Yes, but i was talking about games that need more than 1MB Chip. In most cases 1MB chip (mod or trapdoor RAM) is enough for OCS/ECS config. Maybe because never had less than 1MB chip for me is obvious that 1MB chip is must-be

Edit: there's interesting thread about games which need/use more chip/any RAM here.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 27 August 2016 at 05:09. Reason: Added info
Old 16 December 2016, 03:46   #10
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
I've also upgraded a Rev.5 with a 8372A Agnus. I upgraded the pads to real jumpers by soldering precision sockets over the pads. This way, I can decide whether I want compatibility or more ChipRAM.
That's Brilliant. I assume you did that to the cut trace near the trapdoor too, so it is cut and a jumper reconnects it.