English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 May 2020, 23:46   #21
Pyromania

A red Amiga would be the best.
Old 11 May 2020, 11:12   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I never really thought about it, but beige indeed is what I used to see as futuristic when growing up and now I basically equate it with 60's/70's sci-fi movies As a kid growing up it did make the Amiga look rather futuristic, especially combined with the shape of it.

Boring maybe by today's standards, but back then... no it was pretty cool.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:23   #23
Pyromania

Beige was so boring to me that I painted my A500 camouflage in 1991. I did like the white color of the A1200. Still, red or black would be better.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:49   #24
sneeker

Ive got a 1200 case here thats been painted red, doesnt work as well as I hoped, so Its probably going to get painted a purple/blue colour. Just a case if theres any purists, So ive not paited my actual case, thats still nice and white.
Old 12 May 2020, 08:25   #25
jotd
This cat is no more

beige plastic ages horribly that's for sure. Black is a better choice in the long run.
Old 12 May 2020, 11:28   #26
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Beige was so boring to me that I painted my A500 camouflage in 1991. I did like the white color of the A1200. Still, red or black would be better.

I always liked the C64 much more than the VC20, because of it's color. Still, I thought the A1000 looked quite professional and cool back then. Maybe this "professional" impression was also fostered because all IBMs I knew from the office were also beige. So maybe that was an incentive as well, to make a "professional" impression on buyers?

Regarding Apple, it's quite funny, because I read some books on computer history, and most of them seem of the opinion, that Apple was not THAT hot in the beginning. Nowadays it's made as if Apple was already always THE standard.
Old 14 May 2020, 20:41   #27
dirk_the_daring

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post

The CDTV was really Black, because it was aiming to fit in with those Hi-Fi Component Racks. They where pretty much all black.

And it would be nice there were other CDTV in silver to match with the other popular colour for Hi-Fis on that time.
Old 24 May 2020, 19:44   #28
Paisley_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
When the Amiga 1000 came out its beige was still quite nice and stylish.
Not only do I agree with this statement, I am trying to figure out how I can build an A1000 case (full size and shape) with some kind of BT or wireless keyboard that matches to build a Pi into (copyright 2020 Paisley Pirate, in case someone beats me to getting it done! I don't care if you build it for sale, just send me one and say, hey, that guy gave me the idea... I'll even pay shipping!)

BEST. LOOKING. COMPUTER. EVER!
Old 24 May 2020, 21:36   #29
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Erm.. I read that stackexchange page on "why were computers beige" -- what a load of nonsense.
The last link on that SE page makes sense to me:
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23694

Many illogical choices have been made in attempt to standardize stuff like workplace equipment. Perhaps the horror-image in their mind showed an office with equipment of all colors if they could not get companies to settle on a color scheme. Business was to be taken serious (perhaps even more so to a German mind), so it should not look like a kindergarten. Today companies like Google don't mind using a kindergarten color scheme for their interior.

I don't buy the argument that Apple ][ started the 'beige wave'. Pantone #453 doesn't look beige to me as it has a clear greenish tint and it is very different from the beige color that followed on PCs and Commodore machines. If you want to build a brand, having an identifiable color is very important.

Try persuading a classic car enthusiast that the Hunter Green British car you're selling is 'pretty much the same color' as British Racing Green. Details are important.
Old 27 May 2020, 15:04   #30
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_the_daring View Post
And it would be nice there were other CDTV in silver to match with the other popular colour for Hi-Fis on that time.
To be fair the silver Hi-Fi components were more of a 70's thing. Many of them also sported that horrible fake wood finish.
Old 27 May 2020, 17:38   #31
demolition
Unregistered User

My dad used to have a Sony ES amplifier but actually I am not sure whether the wood on those was genuine or fake:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171...1cd04b8a_o.jpg

Actually I believe that is genuine veneer.

This is my horror image of using fake wood:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Classic%29.jpg
It is so bad, it is almost cool.

I think the wood finish on those cars were originally stickers, but Wheeler Dealers did a woodie by having someone hand-paint the wood grain on its doors. That would be the best version of fake wood. I might even want the guy to paint my entire motorcycle like that. Imagine driving a woodie motorcycle.

Last edited by demolition; 27 May 2020 at 17:44.
Old 27 May 2020, 19:18   #32
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
My dad used to have a Sony ES amplifier but actually I am not sure whether the wood on those was genuine or fake:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171...1cd04b8a_o.jpg

Actually I believe that is genuine veneer.
Looks like timber to me. You can see the grain in it.

Those are pretty high end units. Would have been very nice pieces of equipment back in their day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition
This is my horror image of using fake wood:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Classic%29.jpg
It is so bad, it is almost cool.
Yeah, thats pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition
I think the wood finish on those cars were originally stickers, but Wheeler Dealers did a woodie by having someone hand-paint the wood grain on its doors. That would be the best version of fake wood. I might even want the guy to paint my entire motorcycle like that. Imagine driving a woodie motorcycle.
I've seen that episode. I'd rather not imagine driving a woodie motorcycle, how embarrassing!
Old 28 May 2020, 02:37   #33
lmimmfn

My A1200 is black with the new cases available and the keys are black from the mechanical keys available. I liked the okd white back in the day but things have moved on. In my mancave I have 2 black monitors with black kb's and mice attached to the 1 pc. The Amiga looks so much better in black in the room, would love it with some LED under the keys
Old 30 May 2020, 09:34   #34
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Beige is super boring and this has always been the case. Why weren’t all Amigas Piano black. The CDTV and CD32 got this one right.
Black is even more boring. White is best! One reason I never got an A500 was the color, but the A600 and A1200 had real class! Unfortunately my A600 got yellowed over the years, so I threw it away - then I found out about retrobright
Old 03 June 2020, 21:19   #35
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Wait, we are still talking about 'computer' amigas here??

Anyway, not very selective, like 'em in all colors and shapes...
Old 03 June 2020, 21:37   #36
d4rk3lf

Quote:
red or black would be better.
I think any hot color, red, orange, would be too tiresome for the eyes in everyday use.
Programmers would need to wear a glasses.... wait... nevermind...
------------------------

Black is nice

Old 04 June 2020, 13:56   #37
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Black is an interesting tone. I've found out that if it is the default one for any device, it kind of leaves me cold (like the case was with original Xbox), but if it's an additional option I dig it (as was the case with Xbox 360).

Nice matte black A1200 for example looks super hot to me now, but I'm not sure if it was the color I've picked in 1992.
Old 04 June 2020, 14:08   #38
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have given this zero thought, and always liked the original colours. I think the 600/1200 are a slightly better colour than the older 500s.. They seemed more white.

Also my current PC is white, with white keybaord and mouse.. I currently dislike dark colours
Old 04 June 2020, 16:26   #39
Anubis
Retro Gamer

My current laptops (one at work and one @ home) are both black, and my current gaing PC is also black, with blue fans and colorful CPU heat-sink. While ordering it I was thinking it will bother me with all of those lights, so I made sure I could disable this in BUIS, but actually I like calm blue color in dark room while playing games, so lights are still there.

As for retro computers and consoles, I don't find it boring, probably because like BippyM I did not give it much of thoughts. PSX color was somewhat unusual @ time, and my got sprayed when my brother who took it was into making models and coloring them with spray.

Wasn't there series of Amigas with picture cover?? I can't remember what was pack, was that Germany or England only, but I remember that there were some with additional art cover.
Old 04 June 2020, 16:32   #40
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Wasn't there series of Amigas with picture cover?? I can't remember what was pack, was that Germany or England only, but I remember that there were some with additional art cover.
You're talking about these: http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/bun...00special.html