English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 October 2017, 13:38   #81
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
Interesting. So, not even Picasso users can playback previews on non-AGA screens? Or?
From what I've read it's a native mode thing so either ECS or AGA needed.

Make Preview is fast enough to give me a good flow of the scene before I do a full render.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 October 2017, 13:39   #82
Muadib

:blush: I am honoured, really!
It all starts with a good observation, as I did with the Viper. I found a scene where the thrusters were visible from behind and just thought about how the geometry would look like.

I remember in the old BSG it was more of an explosion spray... Have you tried emulating this with Sparks?

Or are U using another LW version? (You did mentioned hypervoxels, right?)
Old 12 October 2017, 13:42   #83
Muadib

I have to mention that I paused the video to see how the flames look like.

As for the turbo thrust, I watched it repeatedly until I could play it back in my brain with my eyes shut, hehe!
Old 12 October 2017, 13:51   #84
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
:blush: I am honoured, really!
It all starts with a good observation, as I did with the Viper. I found a scene where the thrusters were visible from behind and just thought about how the geometry would look like.

I remember in the old BSG it was more of an explosion spray... Have you tried emulating this with Sparks?

Or are U using another LW version? (You did mentioned hypervoxels, right?)
I'm using Lightwave 2015 on my Win10 PC. When I picked up the A4000T Toaster/Flyer system and started playing with Lightwave again, after years of not owning a Toaster system, I started hitting NewTek's forums and seeing all the cool features in the latest lightwave. A few deals later I was able to purchase Lightwave 2015. Complete and total interface shock!! I did a few anims similar to how I was playing in Amiga's Lightwave, and just recently started looking at HyperVoxel tutorials which made me want to do the Viper turbo thrust. For that I've been going off memory of the show from back in the 80's.

I am not a modeler at all.....so I have to download and/or purchase models I want to work with. Luckily there are tons of good ones out there for free.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:02   #85
Muadib

Interface shock? LW has been more or less the same up to LW 9.6 I have used a bit.

But I don't know, no environment beats the Amiga. Together with LW I use Imagefx/autofx and Scala Infochannel. Have tried LW and Premiere on PC, but something happens to my creativity when I see Windows decorations... I become sick!

Blender on linux is kind of better, though. But the Amiga environment is no.1 in my heart.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:23   #86
Muadib

Plus, I have a thing for pixels. Pixels, they say, stimulate your brain when visible on an image, so that the memory of a pixely picture for example is being antialiased by the brain. IMHO that is one of the reasons why we are all so nostalgic about games we've played many years ago, and when we play them again nowadays it's as if we have overrated them in our minds... Scanline rules!
Old 12 October 2017, 14:27   #87
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

It's a pretty huge difference in 2015 compared to 5.x. I like the simpler layout in 5.x but the VPR layout in 2015 and rendering straight to .avi files is a bonus.

I'm a huge fan of Amiga OS and Lightwave on Amiga. I had an A2000 Toaster system when they first came out and then later an A4000 Toaster4000 system. I even had a single frame VCR and controller back in the day. I still have a strong affinity to Lightwave 3d on the Amiga.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:29   #88
Muadib

Cool, I may try it out then.
Old 13 October 2017, 02:55   #89
Marchie

Survey question -

When I have some Amiga art to share, I tend to pick either FB groups or EAB, since I assume that the folks checking threads like this are also in the FB groups, and don't want to see the same stuff re-posted..

Are there people here who aren't members of other groups? And/or do people have an opinion about seeing the same work posted here as they just saw in a FB group?

Personally I don't mind seeing the same stuff in different forums, and want to share as widely as I can, but don't want people to feel they're getting spammed with the same stuff everywhere they go.

Thoughts? Chime-in people!
Old 13 October 2017, 02:59   #90
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I'm on both and I don't mind seeing it in both locations. Share where you can.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2017, 06:38   #91
Muadib

No problem here either!
Old 13 October 2017, 06:44   #92
Muadib

Btw, here's a short 3D movie I had done in just 2 months with a friend that was released at Compusphere 2014 demoparty's Wild Compo. It was rendered in LW and put together in Scala Infochannel:
https://vimeo.com/117053075

Captured from the composite port, hence the low quality.

FUN FACT: The text pages telling the story were put there to actually help the next animation to load in the background!

Last edited by Muadib; 13 October 2017 at 06:55.
Old 13 October 2017, 13:56   #93
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Cool. Did you storyboard out what you wanted to do or just sit down and come up with a section and do it and then repeat until you had your finished product?

When I start doing things in Lightwave (layout) I tend to start wandering all over the place as I'll do something accidentally that looks better than what I had original intended....and then I end up never getting anything other than a short clip of something.

I think I need to storyboard out what I want to "see" and then try to apply that to the layout scene.
Old 13 October 2017, 16:01   #94
Muadib

Yes, we did a kind of a storyboard, actually. The main draft was made before the modelling began. We laid out the scenes and story and then I started modelling and positioning. In general, for doing clips longer than 1 minute you MUST have a storyboard or at least some per-scene notes.

P.S.: The main difficulty was when I started playing back the first anims on Scala, diskanim and AGA was way too slow for High-Res HAM8 anims, so I came up then with the written story.
Old Yesterday, 00:03   #95
Marchie

It says you presented it on an A1200 - how do you stream 8 minutes of video on an A1200? Is it just good compression and a hi-speed CF card? Don't know what a Scala is...

How do people approach this in general? I have a VT4000 card but have no idea how to use it - it's really just a Lightwave dongle at the moment. Although if I'm correct you need the Flyer card to actualy do NLE on the Amiga as VT only outputs analogue video?
Old Yesterday, 07:15   #96
Muadib

Yes, we did presented it on my A1200. It was epic, as soon as me and Midwan started approaching the area of the projector carrying my A1200 some people were murmuring and even filming us!

Starting from the hardware: A1200 + Blizzard 1260 + SCSI kit + 256 MB RAM + 1 x CF drive internal + 1 x WD 80GB IDE external, connected via IDE-to-SCSI kit w/speeds up to 8MB/sec. I recently acquired a SCSI interface that accepts SD flash cards IIRC, reaching speeds up to 9.8MBs/sec. Also, Indivision MKIIcr.

Software: The anims are of anim8L format. I run them on a program called Scala Infochannel. It can create presentations of still images, samples, mods and anims. It also provides a command line player that plays scripts without the need of its interface. One of its internal tools is Animlab that can bind images to anims and vice versa.

Midwan has also done an extensive research towards using YAFA player and Wildfire(conversion tool), having also composed a HOWTO for this process. However we found that on my A1200 YAFA goes up to 25fps even at low res HAM8, while Scala plays approaches 50fps. This has maybe something to do with Indivision, although I don't wish to test unplugging it at the moment...

Playing the anims was very difficult since they were high res HAM8, so I had to reduce the height to 360 pixels, reaching ~20-24fps. DiskAnim, an option Scala has, was playing them too slow, so I chose to have a picture between anims, allowing the anims to preload during that time. Some anims were also loaded into Ram Disk: and were played with DiskAnim.
AdSense AdSense