English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 August 2001, 12:34   #1
Big-Byte
Long time member

Amiga emulators now sold at HMV

Yep, you heard right...
I went in there at the weekend and they had a 3 for two on emulator cds...

One of the cds is basically winuae with a load of PD games but the other one appears to be a special deal that HMV have done with Gremlin Graphics as it had their entire back catalogue on it.
Old 13 August 2001, 13:08   #2
Amigaboy

If you're talking about the "Best Of Gremlin" CD, then no, it's not done in collaboration with HMV. This CD was released about 2 years ago with the entire CD being cracked ADFs

But. Who knows. Maybe there was a CD done with HMV

Nevertheless, it's still pretty cool to hear about Amiga related CDs being sold at big chains.

Old 13 August 2001, 19:35   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

the Best of Gremlin CD is missing a game ..Night Raider, a flight sim, is SUPPOSED to be on the cd, but is not. Do any of you know if this game ever arrived on the Amiga? I know it is available on the Atari St.
Old 14 August 2001, 01:05   #4
Malc
Zone Friend

It's not the Best of Gremlin DVD - it's an actual Emulator kit on a DVD-ROM, I've seen them also in Preston (UK).

Catalogue Number: RZ1686

www.hmv.co.uk

Click Games, Search for "Amiga" and look what shows up.
Old 14 August 2001, 01:42   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

I bought that piece of crap

Damn my have money, spend money attitude

I was hoodwinked, 2 weeks before I bought this piece of excreta, they had on the shelf a completly different CD, me being in a rush, couldn't be bothered to check if it was the same thing and just bought it.

Anyway I recomend NO-ONE ever buy this complete waste of money as it consists of nothing but Assassins ADF's
Old 14 August 2001, 06:49   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Ian, you are speaking of Amiga Classix, right?
Old 14 August 2001, 13:05   #7
Amigaboy

oh no!

The CD released by Epic sux! I got it through mail order a few years back, expecting it to have the lazarus collection on it (it said it had xxx number of games which was coincidently the same number lazarus had) and it all ended up to be PD crap.

Not worth the money

Amiga Classix 1, 2 and 3 are worth it since they all have proper commercial titles on them

Old 14 August 2001, 13:10   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

No,

It's simply called Amiga Emulator released by Epic Marketing. It may have the same stuff on for all I know, but I have never seen the Amiga Classix CD so I cannot tell you.

PS. This message was posted above AmigaBoy's (He's not psychic) I thought I add a cover scan of the CD

Removed Coverscan

Last edited by Ian; 21 October 2001 at 02:02.
Old 14 August 2001, 19:15   #9
MethodGit

Eek Are my ears deceiving me?

This is GREAT! Does this offer exist in *all* HMV retailers across the country though? Or does it only apply to where John comes from locally?

I might check out the HMV in Ealing or Uxbridge if it applies to all HMV shops. Hopefully I might buy the Gremlin CD and the Amiga Classix CDs if I'm lucky enough.

Do they stock other emulator CDs as well? Like Genesis/Mega Drive, SNES, Bleem! etc. for example?
Old 14 August 2001, 19:17   #10
Amiga1992

Re: Are my ears deceiving me?

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz

Do they stock other emulator CDs as well? Like Genesis/Mega Drive, SNES, Bleem! etc. for example?
YEAH RIGHT, like Sega, Sony or Nintendo would allow that. Get real.
Old 14 August 2001, 19:22   #11
MethodGit

Re: Amiga emulators now sold at HMV

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Yep, you heard right...
I went in there at the weekend and they had a 3 for two on emulator cds...

One of the cds is basically winuae with a load of PD games but the other one appears to be a special deal that HMV have done with Gremlin Graphics as it had their entire back catalogue on it.
I doubt that a deal would have been made between them since Gremlin stopped existing a few years ago!!!
Old 14 August 2001, 19:42   #12
MethodGit

Unhappy Amiga Emulator CD

You're not alone on this, IanCharge.

I have to admit that I, too, was suckered by Epic's sneaky ways and bought the CD *twice* at different occassions. What I mean is that I ordered for one CD of it by mail, and was fooled by the advert in Epic's catalogue ads that an "updated & better" version was up, and I snapped up *real* money on that virtually-identical crap (that was delivered through mail as well). Thoroughly dissappointed and pissed off with the end result, I was. I was really hoping they'd put all the commercial games on there (we're lucky to have the Amiga Classix CDs now, aren't we?). The floppy disk provided and the startup script executables didn't do anything to help me utilise this thing. DosUAE isn't even that good (and it's not being worked on anymore AFAIK), why couldn't they have at least put WinUAE up instead? Or Fellow even? 'Cos as far as I am concerned, if people in the Amiga emulation scene today bought this Coaster Disc (), they would be upset at the choice of main emulator, considering they are more used to WinUAE nowadays.

Oh well, the one (and I seriously mean ONE) plus point of the CD is that with the full Assassins collection in my possession, I don't have to waste time and disk space by downloading the whole pack slowly and gradually, when I could just slot the CD in and load them directly off there at my will.
Old 14 August 2001, 20:35   #13
TikTok

Gremlin have gone?

Are you sure Gremlin are no more? I know they changed their name from Gremlin Graphics to Gremlin interactive a while ago, and I'm sure I heard recently that they were either changing their name back again, or were going to use their old logo again. Anyway, it was definitely that they were reverting something to the way it used to be during the classic Amiga era ....memory is fuzzy....I'm sure they still exist, even if they have been bought up like so many other development companies. Can anyone help my poor little memory please?
Old 14 August 2001, 21:21   #14
MethodGit

Arrow Well...

Ya see, I thought that Gremlin ended up being bought by GT Interactive who were in turn bought by Infogrames somewhere in '98/'99 or somethin' like that, and that they're basically a small part of said French company now (they must have legions of programmers now! They certainly bought a lot of old publishers in the past, like Ocean, GT etc. How many of them did they buy? Are they trying to be like France's answer to EA or somethin'?). At least that's what Jaybee (aka James) from the Amiga In A Box Message Board thought.
Old 14 August 2001, 21:30   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

I maybe be completly wrong (As Usual)

But didn't Gremlin become part of EIDOS?? I'm sure Actua Soccer 3 was labeled as EIDOS, Actua Soccer 1 & 2 were by Gremlin.

Anyway Gremlin have kindly given their permission for that CD to be released and also for the Gremlin site that Malc has just taken over. I'm sure they are still around.
Old 14 August 2001, 21:42   #16
Amiga1992

Yep, Gremlin stuff is now part of Core or some shit like that. You know it´s been a mess, I´d like to know what company ended where, and stuff like that. Is there a website with such info? Seems like only Core and Infogrames have survived.