English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 April 2022, 19:04   #1
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Rise of the Robots - second try

Yes, ok, we all know this game is terrible. Nevertheless, I gave it another go. I felt I should say a bit more about it than the usual "look, I can win with just the jump kick lol" which it seems to be reduced to these days. After all, I do believe someone put some real effort into it. Even if it all horribly failed.

https://www.goodolddays.net/game/id%...he-Robots.html
Old 30 April 2022, 19:42   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
Yes, ok, we all know this game is terrible. Nevertheless, I gave it another go. I felt I should say a bit more about it than the usual "look, I can win with just the jump kick lol" which it seems to be reduced to these days. After all, I do believe someone put some real effort into it. Even if it all horribly failed.

https://www.goodolddays.net/game/id%...he-Robots.html
When I saw the thread title, I boiled it down to this:

"So, i've stuck my penis in a blender before and flipped the switch, and boy did it hurt and man, there was a lot of blood, but if I put my dick in another blender, will it be the same result?"
Old 30 April 2022, 20:10   #3
Gzegzolka

Bad game, good looking graphic, but as soon as You start playing You see how bad is gameplay. This game got too much space in old magazines, if You are still interested in exploring it try play arcade prototype in MAME.
Old 30 April 2022, 21:40   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

I can't believe that the same guy coded Magic Pockets. Such a genius coder, and a crap game in the end.
Old 30 April 2022, 21:58   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I can't believe that the same guy coded Magic Pockets. Such a genius coder, and a crap game in the end.
The worst thing about that game is the marketing really. If it hadn't been sold as the next messiah then it might have passed judgement as a cool tech demo.

And hey, there's at least one person obsessed with the game

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 April 2022, 22:40   #6
zipper

I really enjoyed it ....the intro...
Old 30 April 2022, 23:14   #7
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Did the guy who coded (or ported) this also designed the game? I don't think this is the case. ROTR plays similarly across all platforms it came up to be. Some a bit better, others a bit worse, but all below average overal.
Old 01 May 2022, 09:16   #8
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Did the guy who coded (or ported) this also designed the game? I don't think this is the case. ROTR plays similarly across all platforms it came up to be. Some a bit better, others a bit worse, but all below average overal.
Sean Griffiths has sole design credit for Rise of the Robots as well as Magic Pockets. The Amiga version programming is credited to one Andy Clark, whose first game it apparently was. Honestly, I don't think it's a badly designed game. I do feel that the ideas behind (build up punching power, find and exploit the weak spots in the behaviour patterns of the opponents, encourage quick move combos of a basic move set) are sensible. Execution is obviously a mess, and I don't blame poor Andy (as indeed, it was the same mess on all systems).
Old 01 May 2022, 19:20   #9
d4rk3lf

I remember how they marketed is as the AI would constantly learn from human opponent, and adopt and improve.

Like they built Skynet.
Old 01 May 2022, 20:22   #10
Weasel Fierce

We didn't think it was that bad as kids (but we were also pretty dumb) but everyone went back to playing Mortal Kombat 2 instead.
Old 01 May 2022, 22:27   #11
d4rk3lf

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 October 2022, 12:12   #12
Megalomaniac

Rise of the Robots is slightly better on the Megadrive, as you can jump over opponents, and there is proper Brian May music. I still think 5% from Amiga Power was a bit harsh - while all the faults they list are there, it takes a while to spot them, and you can enjoy it for half an hour, which is more than a lot of games. Though if you deduct points for the excessive hype, massive delays, huge price and ludicrous number of disks, maybe its not too far out.

Its closer to the truth than Amiga Action's 92% review though, which (from memory, its not on AMR) is an excruciating read as they keep saying "we were worried it'd be rubbish" when they clearly weren't - indeed the gameplay barely gets a mention. I think they reviewed it from playing it in Mirage's office for half an hour, so its no wonder they missed the reality of it.
Old 11 October 2022, 13:06   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

mmm no, Rise of the Robot I didn't enjoy for a single second. That game is excruciatingly stiff. It didn't help that around the same time One Must Fall 2097 released which is itself not a top tier fighting game but still infinitely better than ROTR.

It all comes down to the feedback too; OMF really makes you feel like you're dealing massive damage through sounds and effects, ROTR is just plastic toys hitting each other. Even if you win, you don't really feel like you won.
Old 11 October 2022, 14:50   #14
Seiya

Rise of the Robot could be, at least on amiga side, a rendering exercize style. De Facto nice judgment only in graphics and very bad in gameplay
Old 11 October 2022, 17:01   #15
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Exactly, it's not all bad... we could make a fancy screensaver out of the pretty cutscenes and deny it was ever intended to be a playable game. Mirage should have done that back then. It would have saved a lot of embarrassment.
Old 14 October 2022, 10:48   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
What about Earok's updated version with arcade backgrounds, sounds and improved AI.

Its worth a go.