English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 July 2018, 02:12   #21
bwldrbst

I've been working on a similar idea but focused more on the software side. There's some discussion and links to github repos here.

The software allows for multiple streams of data with asynchronous reads and writes over the connection to the Raspberry Pi.

I have a feeling it won't perform well enough for a display but you never know... I'm mainly concerned with input devices, storage and networking.

For now I'm just using the serial port (because it's easy) but it's written in a modular way to support any sort of physical connection people can come up with.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 28 July 2018, 06:15   #22
betajaen

Great minds think alike!

Thanks for the link, I shall read over your posts and have a peek at your code.

I'm just going to aim for graphics for now, other stuff like USB/Wifi/storage/co-processor much later (if possible).
Old 28 July 2018, 16:04   #23
zerohp

Have you considered timing at all? I'm not convinced the GPIO on a Raspberry Pi can be made fast enough to use the clockport. It's not a matter of performance, but whether it works at all.
Old 28 July 2018, 19:56   #24
nogginthenog
Amigan

I saw on Stedy's page that the clockport only has 32 x 8-bit addresses.
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am...lock_port.html

The PI runs a multitasking operating system which not work.

An Arduino (or other microcontroller) would be better. You could wire the 2 chip select pins on the clock port to 2 interrupt pins on the Arduino. and read/write the data bus.
Old 29 July 2018, 00:37   #25
Stedy

Hi,

I've attached an old design showing a simple circuit to interface to the Clockport. Connecting a Rasberry Pi to the clockport, even with level shifters will not work.

When interfacing to the MC68020 bus, you must de-assert within 1 clock cycle on a read. Translating that to the Raspberry Pi GPIO, when the Amiga CPU reads from the Raspberry Pi, the GPIO port is set as an output and drive the data bus. If you do not stop driving within 70ns of RTC_CS or SPARE_CS going high, you risk corrupting the next RAM access, that access my have your next instructions/code and will be corrupted by your Raspberry PI. Can you change the 8 data pins from output to input in 70ns?

The Clockport is not fast. A single byte access takes 1us. So the maximum, theoretical data rate is 1/1us or 1MHz which equates to 1 Mbyte/sec. You'll never achieve this due to the Amiga doing other things. Allow 50% at best, this give a bandwidth of 500 KByte/sec. Nowhere near enough for graphics as 320x256 x 16 colours @ 50Hz would need 8 Mbyte/sec.

If you add the correct logic, you can connect the Raspberry Pi to the Amiga.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simple-clockport-interface.png
Views:	217
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	59031  
Old 29 July 2018, 06:54   #26
betajaen

Hi Stedy,

Thank you for your input, but it looks less and less promising then.

I wouldn't be using the Linux operating system though. Just a simple copy-paste assembly bootloader, which runs a C based program that acts as the driver interface, does the graphics, etc. No Operating System required.

But from the very beginning, I've wondered if it's possible, then if it is practical.
Old 29 July 2018, 10:24   #27
rare_j
Zone Friend

Is doing something with the trapdoor slot viable?
Old 29 July 2018, 12:08   #28
idrougge

Not in any practical way since it is usually filled up with an accelerator already. Unless you want to go the full tower route, and why would you do that for a budget solution?
Old 29 July 2018, 13:57   #29
rare_j
Zone Friend

Well that's true but if there was some way to utilise the 1/2 gb of ram, or wifi connection, or sd card storage it would be fun for those with a stock machine.
Stedy has given a detailed view on the challenges of using the clockport, which made for interesting reading.
I wonder if anyone has any similar insight into using the cpu slot as an interface.
Old 29 July 2018, 16:04   #30
betajaen

I think using the accelerator slot isn't really a solution.

I chose the clock port, because I was hoping anyone could just buy a cable, and a raspberry pi anyway. Download an image to put on a SD card, and it would just go. No production of PCBs, no soldering, etc.

I wonder though if the Cybergraphics/Picasso libraries are more efficient than just sending the contents of the graphics buffer. It must have vector drawing functions, and uploading bitmaps/sprites, then placing them on the screen as needed. The 'card'/driver program for the Amiga 2000 indicates this - just sending commands.
Old 29 July 2018, 19:13   #31
idrougge

The very fact that you need an exotic A1200 CPU connector makes the Raspberry connection once more into a false start since you're throwing a lot of money towards using something which was meant to be a budget solution.

The CGX/P96 API does of course support high-level operations, but you're still using the card over the slowest bus known to the Amiga.
Old 29 July 2018, 19:54   #32
betajaen

Oh well. Sadly, this doesn't seem possible.

It was worth a chat about. Thank you to everyone for your help, and insight.
Old 30 July 2018, 15:26   #33
kolla
Banned

Hey, there are other uses for a pi there, like fast serial interface to the Linux on the pi...
* bridge to ethernet
* bridge to wifi
* bridge to USB

Look here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92931

EDIT: boy, did I mess up URL-editing

Last edited by kolla; 30 July 2018 at 15:33.
Old 06 August 2018, 11:38   #34
nidge

Interseting discussion, a pity the Pi idea could not be done