English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 March 2017, 17:50   #1
Lilura

Which version of Flashback do you prefer?

Hi thar, I understand that Flashback was a multi-platform release and I'm interested to know the differences in versions.

Does anyone here have experience in this? Is there a "best" or do they all have their pros and cons. Which do you advise I play?

Thank you.

(I run a blog mostly about RPGs but I'm gonna branch out into complex platform games, like Gods and Flashback. The game linked to above reminded me of Flashback on the Amiga).
Old 29 March 2017, 20:46   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Lilura

Hell there, this is a game very close to my heart and there are specifically two version I would humbly recommend.

Initially Flashback was developed on the Sega Megadrive and this is a fantastic version - with all the cut scenes and no load times. Great graphics and good music all round.

The Amiga version to get the best out of it requires a Hard Disk Drive - this gives similar results with low load times for cut-scenes - where this version does shine however is the music by Raphaël Gesqua - very delightful and works better through the Amiga Paula audio as opposed the Yamaha YM2612.

I have played and beaten both versions and I would humbly recommend doing the same - I started off with the Megadrive version then completed the Amiga version.

Just to mention I was also taken by Flashback HD released in 2013
[ Show youtube player ]

I quite liked it a lot to be honest
Old 30 March 2017, 15:26   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Lilura

Hell there, this is a game very close to my heart and there are specifically two version I would humbly recommend.

Initially Flashback was developed on the Sega Megadrive and this is a fantastic version - with all the cut scenes and no load times. Great graphics and good music all round.

The Amiga version to get the best out of it requires a Hard Disk Drive - this gives similar results with low load times for cut-scenes - where this version does shine however is the music by Raphaël Gesqua - very delightful and works better through the Amiga Paula audio as opposed the Yamaha YM2612.

I have played and beaten both versions and I would humbly recommend doing the same - I started off with the Megadrive version then completed the Amiga version.

[ Show youtube player ]

the Amiga version has all the cutscenes, just need to use the keyboard keys combination to activate them when playing from disk.

from a hard drive, they appear straight from the start.
Old 30 March 2017, 17:48   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Best version ist probably the PC DOS disk (NOT CD) version. Very smooth and it supports Roland music. On consoles: Mega Drive and Jaguar.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 March 2017 at 17:54.
Old 30 March 2017, 18:23   #5
Lilura

Ok! That remake has received mixed reviews.

I hope GoG offers Flashback soon! (they already offer Another World, and it's easy to set up and play on my PC).

Here are the platforms Flashback appears on: Amiga, Acorn Archimedes, Mega Drive/Genesis, MS-DOS (floppy disk & CD-ROM), NEC PC-9801, Super NES, Sega CD, FM Towns, 3DO, CD-i, Atari Jaguar, Mac OS, iPhone OS, Symbian, Maemo and platforms supported by REminiscence.

Anyone tried FM Towns and NEC versions?
Old 30 March 2017, 18:27   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilura View Post
Anyone tried FM Towns and NEC versions?
FM Towns; yes

...and I took the screenshot for HOL.
Old 30 March 2017, 18:35   #7
Lilura

Nice!! That site is amazing, btw.
Old 30 March 2017, 19:54   #8
rare_j
Zone Friend

There's also a Mega CD version that features longer loading times, and low-res, low colour, pattern-dithered, pre-rendered cut scenes. Otherwise I believe it is the same as the cartridge version.
Old 31 March 2017, 19:46   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

REminiscence also exists for Nintendo DS BTW.

IMHO MS-DOS is better because of the enhanced colors specially on the main character. Amiga version has less colors. Apart from that they're the same (Another World MS-DOS has more scenes for instance)
Old 31 March 2017, 20:03   #10
Mrz
Banned

the best version of Flashback is by far the MAC version
it have the better sound+music and better gfx , it run in high res
Old 31 March 2017, 20:34   #11
Retro1234
Phone Homer

BlackThorne
Old 31 March 2017, 22:37   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
There's also a Mega CD version that features longer loading times, and low-res, low colour, pattern-dithered, pre-rendered cut scenes. Otherwise I believe it is the same as the cartridge version.
There are also voiced in-game dialogues, which I believe are exclusive to the Mega CD version. For instance at 25:00:
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Apart from that they're the same
What about major differences such as extra customers in the bar?
44:50 Amiga version:
[ Show youtube player ]

33:07 DOS version:
[ Show youtube player ]

More seriously, IIRC, there were some minor differences such as some enemies placements in Death Tower and the removal of some loopholes regarding the use of the teleporting device in the last level(s) (it has been too long since I last played the Amiga version, but I think it was about managing to lose it or using it to "cheat" your way).

I'll also shamelessly plug this post and the following ones, in which I had taken a look at a "bug" in the first level, which was in the Amiga version, DOS (both disk and CD) versions, and US and European MegaDrive/Genesis versions, but not MD Japanese version and SNES versions.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=882116#post882116
(Too bad the image hoster I used then has disappeared, I don't think I still have the pictures around )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
the best version of Flashback is by far the MAC version
it have the better sound+music and better gfx , it run in high res
Interesting.

I could not find a direct gameplay video, but found one emulating the game:
[ Show youtube player ]

Graphics do seem to have been reworked (Conrad has eyes!).

Sound effects seem to have been upsampled. Not sure if that is better or not (or maybe emulator related).

Music I was not convinced by what I heard when skiiming through the video.

If someone has time to do so, I'd be interested in seeing (well, hearing ) a video comparing the audio renditions of the Option screen and the Memory scene (and maybe others), which were among my favourite tracks during the Amiga days.

For reference:
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
BlackThorne
Another great cinematic platformer. It would have been interesting if Blizzard had done an Amiga version (The Lost Vikings had been ported the year before).

Oh and about the original topic, Amiga version of course. First version played and finished and love the audio renditions.
And there is also that pointless zoom feature which never managed to zoom in the correct areas during battles .

PS: Lilura, great choice of letters for a nickname
Old 31 March 2017, 23:36   #13
amuleth

Also Amiga version is lack of some cutscenes (only can be seen in end scene animations)
Old 11 April 2017, 16:10   #14
Lilura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
PS: Lilura, great choice of letters for a nickname
I actually thought your great post was attributed to me at first lol.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look up this Blackthorne, too.
Old 12 April 2017, 02:43   #15
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Lilura

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for the hint! Does the HD remake have new levels? I wonder if it is worth playing since I already completed the original?