English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 March 2010, 14:52   #1
lost_loven

a3000

well got the birthday gift early. look what she got me.. the 3.1 roms came with a little bit of flavor!
http://eab.abime.net/album.php?albumid=245

Woot!!! what a awesome wife!

gotta remove that battery i guess, looks like there is some rott on there, clean the case up too! 2 meg chip, 4 megs fast, 68030 68882 25 mhz. 80 meg hd..
more to come with a scsi zip and cdrom....

a few questions.

1 - can i use a 1084 monitor the same time with a vga monitor ?

2 - will a a500 floppy drive work as a replacement drive for df0 as for the eject button is missing.

3 - if no for question 2 then how to or what to use for a eject button for df0?

lost
Old 21 March 2010, 15:35   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_loven View Post

1 - can i use a 1084 monitor the same time with a vga monitor ?
yes, but why ? A3000 has an onboard scandoubler. You can use VGA monitor to view all amiga native screenmodes.

If you're talking about a dual screen setup, I don't think it's possible.

Quote:
2 - will a a500 floppy drive work as a replacement drive for df0 as for the eject button is missing.
Yes, I mean they are electrically compatible, but you'll have to sort out the button issue.

Quote:
3 - if no for question 2 then how to or what to use for a eject button for df0?

lost
Pizza box spacer.
Old 21 March 2010, 16:01   #3
Jope
-

You can just clip on the A3000 eject button into many A500 chinon mechanisms.
Old 21 March 2010, 16:10   #4
lost_loven

awh ok. so the eject button i can unclip from a 500 chinon drive and re clip it on the a3000 drive then..
Also from what i have been reading from other threads, i can just snip off the battery as close to the board as possible and if there is leakage underneath the battery, just a little bit of water and vinegar will clean the board and neutralize anything there right. Everything looks clean and the battery looks like it leaked alittle but not reached the board.
i have not ran the machine since we picked it up and we did test it of course before she bought it for me.. nice pick up for 50 cdn eh!

lost
Old 21 March 2010, 16:57   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
so the eject button i can unclip from a 500 chinon drive and re clip it on the a3000 drive then..
Not as far as I remember. You need A3000 specific eject button.

Quote:
i can just snip off the battery as close to the board as possible and if there is leakage underneath the battery
Yes. Use very sharp snips and be very careful not to scratch the motherboard.
Old 21 March 2010, 18:40   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not as far as I remember. You need A3000 specific eject button.
Exactly, the button needs to be unclipped from the a3000 drive and clipped onto the a500 drive. I just noticed that your eject button is missing, just use a piece of plastic through the hole or something.
Old 21 March 2010, 20:11   #7
lost_loven

ok will see what i can do about the eject button.. removed the battery and the positive side wasn't even attached to the clip. A gental wiggle and the other side came off.. I powered up and system up and running.. oh and its a 100 meg drive WOOT! So i took the water and white vinegar and clean up the green on the legs on a smaller chip to the left (fb485). Of course unplugged.(left to dry for a hr). Under the battery the green of the mother board is lifting.. almost like flaking off. Is there anything i can do, like put on it to keep it down because i don't want to damage it further cause everything seems to be working fine when powered up. I did take pic's but wife has camera now with kids swimming. I get to stay home cause our 3rd one is grounded.. Woot for me! lol want a life story?

lost
Old 21 March 2010, 21:33   #8
lost_loven

k just decided to check drive and it don't work.. I hooked up a external drive and it does not work either, just comes up df0:???? or df1:???? anything i can check to see whats up?
i also checked and the buster is #7. If that helps anything.. think i might have problems with the external zip drive and cdrom?
Old 22 March 2010, 00:47   #9
lost_loven

well here am talking to myself again lol.. but heres a update and thank god I didn't know (until like 50 web pages later of reading and clicking around for a few hrs on and off) the a3000 does have a cia chip (8520a) that i can swap out.. seeing I have 4 a500's, 1 being for parts i think i have this one solved!

any thoughts on what to put down on the mother board to stop where it is flaking where I pulled the battery? Would finger nail hardener work? (like a nail polish?)

lost
Old 22 March 2010, 00:51   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
any thoughts on what to put down on the mother board to stop where it is flaking where I pulled the battery? Would finger nail hardener work? (like a nail polish?)
Yep, clear nail varnish is what I use for protecting exposed tracks after all pcb repairs.
Old 22 March 2010, 01:14   #11
lost_loven

would it be wise to put the nail varnish on the chip by fb485,, I cleaned green off the legs.. it would act like a protection for it too or not worry about it?

lost
Old 22 March 2010, 01:20   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

It wouldn't do any harm to coat the chip legs - especially if the tinning is showing signs of corrosion. It would be prefereable to re-tin the legs with solder, but a coating of varnish would be a good second best if it's too tricky to get a soldering iron in there to apply the solder.