English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 01 May 2020, 11:12   #1
calmgamer

Keyboard mapping questions.

Hi,

I have a few keyboard mapping questions which I’m hoping someone can help me with.

What is the best way to map fs-uae to my arcade cabinet with is run via a Ultimarc keyboard encoder? At the moment the cabinets joystick works because it’s mapped to the cursor keys by default but I need to map the fire button and hopefully a shift key or space bar for certain games. I’d also like to get 2 player games working eventually.

Also, since overriding the quit key doesn’t seem to work with the 68000 cpu, is there an alternative other than manually changing the cpu to 68010?

Thanks
Old 01 May 2020, 18:16   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, see https://fs-uae.net/docs/x-arcade. You can take those files mentioned there, rename then, and edit them to replace the key bindings to your liking.

As for quit key, there is now an option through the online database to register the correct quit_key on a per game basis, so that's at least once solution (possibly the preferred one).

When FS-UAE 4.0 nears completion, I might also revisit the models for WHDLoad games. I see WinUAE has a much better (perfect?) 68010 emulation, so maybe that's a good choice for some games. Another option is to consider using a memory-cycle-exact-only 68020 for most games. To be determined.
Old 02 May 2020, 02:23   #3
calmgamer

Thanks. I’ll look into the x arcade files tonight.

As far as the quit key is concerned I’m still new to FS and a little unsure what registering the quit key will do as opposed to just turning off the override and pressing what ever the game tells me to press.

I’m also playing a game where it says the quit key is print screen. Pressing that key takes a screenshot. Is there a key modifier I have to press beforehand for it to register?

Eventually I’d like to run FS from inside bigbox so having a common exit key would be great

Thanks