English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 November 2010, 17:34   #1
Xenphor

Flickering/disppearing cursor in Napalm running Amikit from Amiga Forever

I just bought Amiga Forever and have been trying out some Amiga CD games through Amikit. So far I have gotten games such as Quake and T-zero working pretty well. Right now I'm trying to get Napalm to work under UAE:640x480x8 graphic mode.

The game seems to run fine for the most part using UAE, but the cursor disappears at the title screen and flickers during gameplay. I can still use the cursor and play the game okay, but it would be nice to have it fixed. Using the PAL or NTSC low res or high res laced modes, the cursor works fine, so I'm thinking it has something to do with UAE.

I have tried updating Napalm to v1.4 and also have tried upgrading Picasso96 to 1.2c but nothing changed.

I was told that maybe looking into devs:monitors and using the uaegfx icon there to disable softsprites might help, but I encountered another problem when I did this. When I execute uaegfx through the shell I get this error: "could not create gfx board context for uaegfx." Looking around, this error seems to come about when no memory has been allocated for RTG in WinUAE, but obviously this is already in place and seems to work considering I can play games like Quake or T-zero.

I'm not really sure what else to do so I would appreciate any help.

Old 06 November 2010, 20:46   #2
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i had the problem by the past i will look what i did to resolve it.
wait and see
Old 07 November 2010, 00:23   #3
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

ok the problem is amikit i think, there is patch which put the pointer in hires.
Disable this patch... in fact look after a way to change the pointer to lores.
If i remember well, that the problem, good luck.
Tell me if it's work
Old 07 November 2010, 01:21   #4
Xenphor

I changed the pointer to low res through the Preferences->Pointer menu but it still disappeared at the title screen like usual. Is this the right way to do it or do I have to actually uninstall the patch itself somehow? I don't know how to do that. Thanks.

Old 07 November 2010, 03:29   #5
Xenphor

Alright I think I just found my settings menu for uaegfx in Amikit; it was under Preferences->PVS. Right now the only two options under tooltips that are enabled are Display Chain and Ignore Mask. Two things I tried were to enable Soft Sprite as well as Big Sprite but neither of these solved the problem. I'm not really sure what else I could mess with in these menus because none of the descriptions seem to relate to my problem.

Old 07 November 2010, 06:09   #6
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

perhaps you could try with a simple 3.1 install but don't forget to install rtg.
and there is surely updates for napalm.
sorry but i really don't remember how i fixed it.
Old 07 November 2010, 18:09   #7
Xenphor

Well I did a 3.1 install using the disks from Amiga Forever. I also installed Picasso 1.2c and cdrom files. After installing the game, I patched it, setup rtgmaster, and then chose uae:640x480x8. I still encountered the same problem. The only thing I can think is that maybe the 1.4 patch is not applying correctly? All I do is select the files and then overwrite everything in the Napalm directory; however, I can not find a way to verify that the game is actually running version 1.4. Is there some way I can know for sure?

Old 07 November 2010, 18:13   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
check the file names , might not be overwritting the old ones.
Old 07 November 2010, 18:24   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

RTG hardware cursor is only emulated if direct3d mode is selected and tooltype has softsprite=no.
Old 07 November 2010, 20:02   #10
Xenphor

Alright I got it working by selecting direct3d instead of direct draw. I had actually tried this before but I selected it while I was running WinUAE and didn't know I had to reset for it to actually take effect. One other question I had though was regarding the demos that rtgmaster installs. When I run any of these, they don't seem to display correctly and only about a quarter of the screen is active with the rest glitched out. When I exit the demo I then get some kind of error.

Here is what the demo of Flame looks like: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...phor/flame.jpg

And here is the error I get after: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...phor/error.jpg