English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 October 2017, 20:44   #21
Aladin

@DrBong
It work too with ks1.3/KS3.1 with 1MoChip and 1MoFast (on testing with whdload generic).

On winuae, not work with 512Ko Chip and 2Mo Fast. The requirement minimum is 1MoChip and 1MoFast or only 2MoChip

Last edited by Aladin; 23 October 2017 at 21:01.
Old 23 October 2017, 21:18   #22
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I've just knocked up a quick HOL entry here for Crazy Priest too, which includes lotsa links to the demo d/l, YouTube vid, full game d/l + more. Enjoy!

http://hol.abime.net/6271 <-------- Crazy Priest (PD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordan View Post
DrBong: Great job, thanks a lot!
No worries, my pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
@DrBong
It work too with ks1.3/KS3.1 with 1MoChip and 1MoFast (on testing with whdload generic).

On winuae, not work with 512Ko Chip and 2Mo Fast. The requirement minimum is 1MoChip and 1MoFast or only 2MoChip
Thanks for the quick report! I've updated the HOL entry accordingly.

I'm hoping to make an ADF version of Crazy Priest when I get time later in the week. It should be possible to fit one if not both versions of the game on a single floppy with crunching. It will be interesting to see if the memory requirements can be reduced even further from your tests under WHDLoad by directly booting the game off floppy. While unlikely, perhaps the game will run in as little as 1MB ram. We shall see.....
Old 23 October 2017, 23:28   #23
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
I'm hoping to make an ADF version of Crazy Priest when I get time later in the week. It should be possible to fit one if not both versions of the game on a single floppy with crunching. It will be interesting to see if the memory requirements can be reduced even further from your tests under WHDLoad by directly booting the game off floppy. While unlikely, perhaps the game will run in as little as 1MB ram. We shall see.....
I used Imploder 4.0 (which is one of the better crunchers) to crunch the executable (of the extra version) down to 703556 bytes. That is more than half the size! But not enough to fit both versions on one disk

I made an ADF of the extra version and sent to sordan. Not sure if he wants to release it or if he want to make his own disk. The ADF I created displays the readme file in startup-sequence with the "more" command and have the needed .libs on disk.

Game even works on A500/Workbench 1.3 (but very slow). The memory requirements are 2 Mb ram (and 1Mb must be chipram).
Old 24 October 2017, 00:48   #24
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
I used Imploder 4.0 (which is one of the better crunchers) to crunch the executable (of the extra version) down to 703556 bytes. That is more than half the size! But not enough to fit both versions on one disk

I made an ADF of the extra version and sent to sordan. Not sure if he wants to release it or if he want to make his own disk. The ADF I created displays the readme file in startup-sequence with the "more" command and have the needed .libs on disk.

Game even works on A500/Workbench 1.3 (but very slow). The memory requirements are 2 Mb ram (and 1Mb must be chipram).
That’s good work! it should work on my CD32 disc now, could you upload the crunched file (not adf) to the zone thanks!
Old 24 October 2017, 01:00   #25
onkelarie

Nice little game, had a few go's at it this afternoon. Had fun playing it!
Old 24 October 2017, 02:06   #26
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ok the musician here.
Indeed the music is inspired by Enigma but the base was from another song i did in the nineties using same sample bank, called Tediosa. Choir is from a gregorian chant sample found on the net and is a bit big; did this song in 2015 for the first release and at the time did need to review how to optimize samples. I also created an "unplugged version" using guitar and flute only that is lighter and might provide in case someone want to create an adf, just ask me.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:27   #27
Amiga1992

If you send me the module/samples, I can try to optimize it for you.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:36   #28
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Hey guys, cool game you've made there! Love all the small details, weapons, enemies and VS mode you've added!
Old 24 October 2017, 10:45   #29
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that CrunchMania or XPK will do a better job than Imploder (it always has in my previous tests), which was the most popular cruncher in the Amiga heyday......but superseded by crunchers released later on in years.

Quote:

Thanks for the extra info. re: memory requirements - I've updated the HOL entry again accordingly! I'm not surprised it runs slowly on A500/KS 1.3 configs as EHB graphics are used (and under AMOS). As Sordan said, the use of EHB for this sort of game didn't give much advantage over 32 colour low-res gfx.

Anyway, the multiplayer version may well require less memory to run than the single player version.....so I will probably push on with my own little "mad scientist" experiment of creating ADFs for the two different versions of the game.

@saimon69
Thanks for the extra info. on the music!
Old 24 October 2017, 18:37   #30
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
I'm guessing that CrunchMania or XPK will do a better job than Imploder (it always has in my previous tests), which was the most popular cruncher in the Amiga heyday......but superseded by crunchers released later on in years.
Did a test with CrunchMania and the compression ratio is slightly better than Imploder: Size after crunching: 643428 bytes.

Some people seems to think a program needs less memory because the smaller size. That is not the case. A crunched file needs MORE memory.

My result (using the default settings in both programs):

- The CrunchMania file now needs 3 mb of ram. The better compression rate can be a contributing factor to this.
- The Imploder file still works on 1mb chip+1mb fast but does not work on 2mb chip+0mb fast anymore. Seems Imploder works best with fast ram.

Quote:
so I will probably push on with my own little "mad scientist" experiment of creating ADFs for the two different versions of the game.
Not every day you need a cruncher these days. But for me I stick with Imploder (more system friendly, works better on 68060 CPU:s and it loads while it de-crunching!) None of them seems to have the cool de-crunching stripes though?

I'm not an expert and there are many more crunchers might worth a try: See this thread and this page. But leave it to you to make the ultimate Crazy Priest ADF!

Last edited by hipoonios; 24 October 2017 at 19:10.
Old 24 October 2017, 19:07   #31
DamienD
Banned

Personally I've always found CrunchyDat to give the best compression etc...

This is what I used on the Armour Geddon II main files for Amigajay's compilation

I usually turn it off, but there are options for "cool de-decrunching stripes" on screen or even just in the mouse pointer.
Old 24 October 2017, 19:20   #32
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
That’s good work! it should work on my CD32 disc now, could you upload the crunched file (not adf) to the zone thanks!
See my previous post. The Imploder crunched file does not work without fastram. So it will not run on CD32. So let's wait and see if DrBong can come with something better.

But I don't really see the point of a crunched version for CD32 though. There is plenty of room on a CD.
Old 24 October 2017, 19:51   #33
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

This is what I used on the Armour Geddon II main files for Amigajay's compilation

I usually turn it off, but there are options for "cool de-decrunching stripes" on screen or even just in the mouse pointer.
Thanks! This is the best one so far. Just a few bytes bigger file than CrunchMania and game works on all memory configurations (2 mb chip, 0 mb fast / 1mb chip, 1 mb fast)

edit: new ADF:s sent to Sordan.

Last edited by hipoonios; 24 October 2017 at 20:42.
Old 24 October 2017, 20:06   #34
DamienD
Banned

Old 24 October 2017, 20:22   #35
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sordan View Post
Hi there. I have explained this in the readme file included with the game.

"Why executable file is that big?
- lame code
- graphics in EHB mode (64 colors)
- a lot of samples (500kb)
- track module (200kb)"

So basically half of the game size are only samples and track module.

Thanks
Ah yes, bloatware ey?
The other day I installed Killer Instict on Xbox One.. then just when I thought it was done and could play a few rounds there was of course just an update then I could play.. the update was 47GB! Basically, why the hell did I have to install it from the BD in the first place..
47GB patch.. just sayin... perspective
Old 24 October 2017, 22:49   #36
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Some people seems to think a program needs less memory because the smaller size. That is not the case. A crunched file needs MORE memory.
Not always. The Titanics cruncher, for instance, sometimes requires virtually no extra memory and alternates between loading and decrunching files IIRC. The trade-off of doing this, though, is that it's quite slow and sometimes does a poor job of crunching a file. There is a more modern cruncher that doesn't have these pitfalls, but I can't remember the name of it atm. Will have to boot up the A1200 to refresh my memory when I get a chance.

Quote:
Did a test with CrunchMania and the compression ratio is slightly better than Imploder: Size after crunching: 643428 bytes.

My result (using the default settings in both programs):

- The CrunchMania file now needs 3 mb of ram. The better compression rate can be a contributing factor to this.
- The Imploder file still works on 1mb chip+1mb fast but does not work on 2mb chip+0mb fast anymore. Seems Imploder works best with fast ram.
Yeh, I think I was confusing CrunchMania with CrunchyDat! The name of the cruncher I can't quite remember starts with a bloody 'C' too!! Anyway, as you and Damien have found, CrunchyDat does a pretty good job of crunching and uses little or no memory to decrunch.

Quote:
Not every day you need a cruncher these days. But for me I stick with Imploder (more system friendly, works better on 68060 CPU:s and it loads while it de-crunching!) None of them seems to have the cool de-crunching stripes though?
I think you should use what works for you, but bear in mind that most of the more contemporary Amiga crunchers have all those features (except the cool decrunching stripes! ). They really had to as they were developed in an era when sceners and power Amiga users had fast accelerators, but lotsa average users were still running standard A500s/1200s with floppy drives and perhaps a small 20-40MB hard drive if they were lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

I love the decrunching stripes.....for me it brings back nostalgic memories of waiting ages for tape games to turboload on the C64!
Paul Woakes' Novaload and Thalamus' Mix-E-Load rocked!!!

Last edited by DrBong; 24 October 2017 at 23:06. Reason: Fixed links!
Old 24 October 2017, 23:59   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I personally be using Rob Northens Propack, it consistently beats all the listed packers and was why I was able to fit Snow Bros on one disk
Old 25 October 2017, 09:32   #38
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Phill
Yeh, RNC ProPack is usually in my top 5 for experimentation. When anyone mentions it, Walker's loading sequence always springs to mind. Anyway, should be interesting to see which cruncher comes out on top (crunching efficiency vs decrunching speed vs memory requirements) in the case of Crazy Priest since the game is a single file for each version.
Old 25 October 2017, 17:38   #39
BarryB
Amigaholic

ProPack crams it down to 655,780 bytes and still lets it load on a basic A1200

Same ProPacked exe also loads on a 1mb A500 with 1mb+ of trapdoor ram, but runs a bit slower on this config as it's 68000 and misses some frames of animation!
Old 26 October 2017, 10:45   #40
Aladin

WHDL generic in the zone with slave renommed and icon

Normal version: 1Mo Chip with 1Mo Fast
2MoCHip version: 2Mo Chip
Quitkey = F10

Need kick40068 on sys:devs/Kickstarts