English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 April 2018, 00:18   #1
robinsonb5

Confused about Socket programming and UAE / FSUAE

I have a project that's going to involve TCP/IP socket comms between an Amiga and a Linux host, and never having done any TCP/IP programming on the Amiga before, I'm trying to figure out what I need.

I'm using VBCC as a cross-compiler, Linux hosted, and want to use UAE or FS-UAE to test and debug.

I downloaded the AmiTCP devkit from Aminet, and can compile the httpget example, but both the resulting binary and the pre-built binaries in the devkit fail under both UAE and FS-UAE, complaining that they can't open bsdsocket.library. Yet under both emulators, network software such as iBrowse, AWeb, YAM, etc. works just fine.

Can anyone give me any hints here?
Old 22 April 2018, 13:49   #2
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
I have a project that's going to involve TCP/IP socket comms between an Amiga and a Linux host, and never having done any TCP/IP programming on the Amiga before, I'm trying to figure out what I need.

I'm using VBCC as a cross-compiler, Linux hosted, and want to use UAE or FS-UAE to test and debug.

I downloaded the AmiTCP devkit from Aminet, and can compile the httpget example, but both the resulting binary and the pre-built binaries in the devkit fail under both UAE and FS-UAE, complaining that they can't open bsdsocket.library. Yet under both emulators, network software such as iBrowse, AWeb, YAM, etc. works just fine.

Can anyone give me any hints here?

I’m interested in this also but from an assembly point of view.

Basically, if my bomb jack game detects my remote linux server over tcp/ip then i want to send over the hi-scores.

I’ll start looking into this soon.
Old 22 April 2018, 15:02   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps they want higher bsdsocket.library version? Attach or upload small example executable.
Old 22 April 2018, 15:17   #4
robinsonb5

Thanks for the responses - the example code in the AmiTCP dev kit asks for version 4, but changing that to 0 makes no difference. Example code attached:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

#include <exec/types.h>
#include <proto/exec.h>

struct Library *SocketBase;

int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
	SocketBase=OpenLibrary("bsdsocket.library",0);
	if(SocketBase)
		printf("Successfully opened bsdsocket.library\n");
	else
		printf("Failed to open bsdsocket.library\n");
	return(0);
}
Just opening the library fails, which confuses me greatly given that other network-aware software works just fine!

I haven't had a chance to test with WinUAE yet - this is with Linux UAE and FSUAE.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bsdsockettest.zip (3.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 22 April 2018, 16:08   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Works for me (succesfully opened...)

There should not be any functional difference between different UAE variants in bsdsocket.library emulation.
Old 23 April 2018, 00:07   #6
robinsonb5

Thanks for testing. I've found the source of the problem - it turns out the version of uae I'm using doesn't have bsdsocket support compiled in (and I hadn't found the user-interface option to enable it on fs-uae). Under both environments IBrowse was appearing to work because there was a years-old copy of google.com in its cache, which hadn't been flushed because I don't have rtc emulation enabled!

Doh!

Thanks again for responding - sorry for the false alarm.