English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 25 April 2001, 10:18   #1
Tim Janssen

I must confess I have not watched many demos on the Amiga but somehow I have managed to create a Top 5:

1 Jesus on E's, 1992: A 2-disc music demo featuring the best house music that was common back in 1992. It features some black 'n' white footage of a '2 Unlimited' video.

2 Hardwired by Crionics, 1991: Another 2 discs with some amazing graphics and animations. It starts off with a spacestation which gets infected by bugs. Other interesting sections are a raytraced toilet pot, vektor animations and a light source -objects animation.

3 State of the Art by Spaceballs, 1992: The title says it all, does it? It is a video clip with women silhouettes dancing. When I first saw this demo I thought I was watching MTV!

4 Odyssey by Alcatraz?, 1992: This demo tells a sort of epic space adventure. It has a vektor spaceship travelling along pre-drawn landscapes. The music is sooo atmospheric, it sends shivers down my spine.

5 Arte, 1994: A neat little demo with some astonishing images and funky music by an artist called Moby. I especially like the section where some plasma wobbles all over the screen. Arte is a demo with an unique style.

What are your favourite demos?
Old 25 April 2001, 11:54   #2
RCK
Administrator

Arg, actually, my favourite old-school demo is on the PC demo scene (don't kill me for this )
It is of course Second Reality from Future Crew (1993)
Old 25 April 2001, 14:29   #3
Tim Janssen

Second Reality?

Hmm, never heard of Second Reality before. But then again, I was never interested in demos on the pc. What is that demo like?

Last year I downloaded a 128Kb pc demo from Back to the roots. When I played it on my Pentium 90 it was like a slide show with its s-l-o-w moving animations. -Stupid pc's. I want those days back when people pushed a machine to its limit.
Old 25 April 2001, 15:40   #4
RCK
Administrator

Second Reality work perfectly on a 486dx2 with gravis ultrasound (or sound blaster) card. (real mode dos of course)

So you won't have speed problem with it

I'm sure that majority of all the demoscene guys heard about this demo.

More on it later ...
Old 10 June 2001, 02:31   #5
Bobic

Favourite demos? Here we go (even if I'm a little bit late):

A500:
1) Arte / Sanity
2) 9 Fingers / Spaceballs
3) Sequential / Andromeda
4) Desert Dream / Kefrens
5) Extension / Pygmy Projects
6) Interference / Sanity
7) Technological Death / Mad Elks
8) World of Commodore / Sanity
9) Hardwired / Cryonics-Silents
10) Flower Power / Anarchy

Music Disks:
1) Memorial Songs / Alcatraz
2) Memorial Songs 2 / Razor 1911
3) Dizzy Tunes 2 / Spaceballs
4) Jesterday / Sanity
5) Extravaganja / Nerve Axis

Slideshows:
1) 5977 / Scoopex
2) Sun / T.R.S.I.
3) Seven Seas / Andromeda
4) Artcore / Scoopex
5) Forgotten / Mirage

AGA Demos (too much for a top 5, because all are brilliant)::
Real / Complex
Nexus 7 / Andromeda
Full Moon / Virtual Dreams - Fairlight
Love / Virtual Dreams - Fairlight
Faktory / Virtual Dreams - Fairlight
Friday at eight / Polka Brothers
My Kingdom / Haujobb
Mnemonics / Haujobb
Relic / Nerve Axis
Alien 2 / Scoopex
Rain / The Black Lotus
Perfect Circle / The Black Lotus
Amsterdam Blessings / Mawi
I want to be machine / Appendix
Closer / CNCD
Adam Malysz / Ephidrena
Concrete / Ephidrena
J / Ephidrena
Substral / Ephidrena
Vision / Oxygene
Control / Oxygene
Origin / Complex
Motion / Bomb
Shaft 7 / Bomb
Klone / Dual Crew-Shining
When we ride on our enemies / Skarla
...and many more.

AGA Intros:
1) Superautodrome 2 / Scoopex
2) 1000% / Scoopex
3) Electricity / Appendix
4) Electra / Darkage
5) Gush / Potion

PC Demos (too much for a top 5, because all are brilliant):
Inside / CNCD
Stars / Noon
Contrast / Oxygene
State of Mind / Bomb
Vip 2 / Poxy Team
Kasparov / Elitegroup
Fall equals winter / Replay
Two watermelons and one indoor ape /Replay
Mikrostrange / Haujobb
Mosaic / Haujobb
Toys / Gods
Moral Hard Candy / Blasphemy
No Exit / Nomad
Shad 2 / Cocoon-Syndrome
Tesla / Sunflower
Wonder / Sunflower
Zilog / Sunflower
Black 2000 / Farbrausch
... and many more.

PC Intros:
1) Heaven Seven / Exceed
2) Fr-08: The Product / Farbrausch
3) Stash / The Black Lotus
4) Tac-2 / Tazadum
5) Fukwit Daddy / Haujobb

Downloads? Check the link below. 90% of the mentioned stuff is online there
Old 10 June 2001, 02:36   #6
Bobic

@ Tim:

Did you know that "State of the Art" WAS shown several times on MTV? Believe me! "Yes"/Orange Juice even took his Amiga to some of his favourite clubs and they always played/shown the demo there.

Unfortunately it's not one of my favourite demos. Excellent style, but I don't like techno music. I can't watch the demo without turning off the sound... The music in the sequel 9 Fingers was far better (in my opinion).
Old 10 June 2001, 04:37   #7
Mangar
Got the fever back

I liked the budbrain demos.. not as spectacular technically but I liked the music and humour..
Old 10 June 2001, 14:03   #8
RCK
Administrator

Arrow okayyyyyy PC demos, here I come !

favourite oldschool one: (ordered)
  • Second Reality / Future Crew (zic: Skaven & Purple motion)
  • HeartQuake / Iguana (zic: Ryan Cramer)
  • Juice / Psychic Link (zic: Skywalker)
  • Crystal Dream II / Triton prod (zic: Lizardking)
  • Dx project / Realtech (zic: MindFuck)
favourite newschool one: (no order)
  • Plastik / Purple (zic: der mystical)
  • State Of Mind / Bomb
  • Liquid A / Omnicolour
  • Experimental / Wipe
  • Square / Pulse (zic: Shad)
  • Sexadelix / Byterapers Inc (zic: Legend)
  • 73 million seconds / Pulse
  • Moaï / Nomad (zic: Djamm)
  • Robotnik / Rage (zic: fajser)
  • Little Simple Demo / knights (zic: Logic Dream)
  • Tribes / melon design, pulse
favourite 64k one: (ordered)
  • heaven 7 / exceed
  • Drift / WILD LIGHT (zic: Nobody)
favourite 3D accelerated one: (ordered)
  • VIP2 / PoPsY TeAm
  • fr-08 / the product (zic: KB)
  • T o Y S / Gods (zic: Soni & Liszt)
Old 10 June 2001, 14:33   #9
Khephren

I'm looking for a PC demos with Skull as a Coder. He was the bloke behind Full Moon and Love demos for Virtual Dreams/Fairlight.

With PC demos being so piss poor, I'd like to see what he can do.

Old 10 June 2001, 18:12   #10
Bobic

@Kephren:

I've never seen a PC demo from Dr. Skull, the same for other people from FLT/VD. Some of them are still active, but they're writing JAVA stuff now. Check out http://www.sumea.com for more info. I don't know if Dr. Skull is with them, but for sure Alien is one of the guys behind this project.

@RCK:
Seems you're such a big scene music freak as I am. Mystical's tune for Plastic is excellent, the same for the music from the first great PC 64k intro I've ever seen: Drift! I forgot to mention it, too.

And shame on me - how could I forgot Statix best demo ever: Square! It's really sad to see that he's out of the scene now, because he is one of the demoscene gods. Ok, probably he's too busy now with fixing all those bugs in Black+White

Lizardking is probably the best Amiga musician ever. Better than Hülsbeck . Have you heard his fabulous (but sad) song "Desta", yet (http://www.starbreeze.com/music/Desta.mp3) or the spiritual sounding http://www.starbreeze.com/music/SriOfGovandhara.mp3 ?

Also his trailer music for the game "Enclave" sounds excellent. Enclave is looking and sounding so good, that I think I'll buy a X-Box just for being able to play this game
Old 10 June 2001, 18:41   #11
Khephren

I always preferred Jogeir Liljedahl as the best musician on the Amiga with Gustaf Grefburg (LK) a close second and the much underrated Olaf Gustafsson (Blaizer) behind him.

Think myself and RCK have had this discussion before.

State of the Art was a good demo in the sense that I believe it was the first time in a demo that what can only be described as motion capture was used.

The tune was excellent by Travolta, and I don't particularly like that kind of music either.

Bobic,

The last I heard was he was under the nick of Skull and in a PC group, whose name I have forgotten.

Old 10 June 2001, 21:44   #12
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Have you heard his fabulous (but sad) song "Desta"
Of course !, LK is my all-time favorite musician, I have 99% off all his song and CDs I also have one 30min video report on Starbreeze studio, where we can see exclusive picture of the now dead "Sorcery" (and we can listen to exclusive sorcery songs in it !) yes, more than the 3 songs you can always download from Starbreeze website

About LK recent songs, have you heard the two last songs he have done for The Merregnon Project ? wonderfull. In the same spirit like sorcery.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=306

and about Xbox, just see our little discussion about E3 to understand that I won't buy it.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=327
Old 11 June 2001, 00:42   #13
Bobic

Of course I know the Merregnon Soundtrack (review at BTTR . The producer Thomas Böcker is a very good friend of me. Hope we'll be able to hear the next musical masterpiece at the end of the next year.

Lizardking's tunes for the Merregnon CD are excellent, but "Burning Lascest" from Olof is my favourite song, followed by Purple Motion's "Welcome to Merregnon" and Markus Holler's "Refreshing Bath".

P.S.: I'm not sure if you know Mawi's Mekka+Symposium 2001 demo "Amsterdam Blessings". If not, give it a try. Excellent production with a brilliant endpart tune. Trust me - I think we both like the same kind of music. The demo is working in a perfect speed with WinUAE 0816.
Download: http://www.back2roots.org/Demos/Files/Amsterdam

If you prefer to watch the demo as a DivX encoded video, go to:
http://omr.planet-d.net/amidemos/amster.zip
Old 11 June 2001, 14:52   #14
RCK
Administrator

Excellent end music, very advanced gfx during all the demonstration...
thanks bobic !
if someone could grab the mod file of the end-tune, it would be perfect (btw, mod or mp3 ?)

I'm also awaiting for the next music cd from the scene
Old 11 June 2001, 15:09   #15
Tim Janssen

Cool Motion Capturing, house & PC demos

Hi Bobic,

Some posts ago you wrote:
Quote:
Did you know that "State of the Art" WAS shown several times on MTV?
No, I did not know that. This demo was created in 1993 and I am not surprised if it made an apperance on MTV. Pity I have missed it. Two years earlier a group called Urban Shakedown produced a song called Some Justice with their Amiga. I have seen their video sometimes on MTV. It made me proud owning an Amiga.

I am a big fan of house-music demos featuring motion-captured people. State of the Art is best but Nine Fingers and Fairlight's Elfmania/ 242 demo come second.

I have not seen many PC demos in my life. Well, only one to be precise: Fukwit Daddy. This demo moved much too slow on my Pentium 90. -And I always thought the main purpose of a demo is to get the most out of a machine. Damn, how I hate PC's.
Old 11 June 2001, 20:29   #16
Bobic

Tim: Fukwit Daddy is a masterpiece. The design is awesome. The effects are not the best, but design means a lot (not even for me).

The scene on the PC has changed a lot, compared to the Amiga scene. Today computer games are always looking better than demos, because a team of about 20-50 (or more) people is working on it for a couple of years. Companies are spending millions of dollars into a project.
Hobby programmers like most of the demoscene coders can't work on a demo with such a big team for two years. They have to finish it in their spare time. Therefore no 3D engine of a PC demo can be compared with e.g. the Quake 3 engine.

Many PC groups are making excellent looking PC demos with cool 3D scenes (e.g. Mikrostrange/Haujobb, Vip 2/Popsy Team and others).
But there are also people who want to use simple effects. They're trying to create a special style, a special atmosphere with simpler effects and atmospheric music which is perfectly synced with the effects. "Fukwit Daddy" is one of those demos.

Those "design demos" are often much better than demos which show boring 3d scenes all the time. I want to watch something which can be described as "scene art and design" and not a so called scene demo, which reminds me more on a game.

Of course "Fukwit Daddy" doesn't work well on a P90. You should have a PII and a fast accelerator card or better . For most of todays demos you should have a PIII (or better) with Geforce 2.

Viewing tip: "Heaven Seven". For me, this PC 64k intro is the best scene production which I've seen, yet. The effects are impressive, the design is simply brilliant and the music is the best piece of scene music which I've ever heard (this says someone, who don't like house music ). It won't work 100% smooth in the slowest resolution on a P90, but give it a try. No accelerator card needed. Just realtime raytraycing in perfection. Grab it from:
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2000...4/h7-final.zip

Btw - Nobody shall misunderstand me. I don't want to say that PC demos are better than Amiga demos. I like both. This year at the Mekka+Symposium 2001 scene party (Germany's biggest scene event) the Amiga demos have easily beaten all PC productions (RCK: Amsterdam Blessings was one of these demos ). Guess how impressed I was when seeing it on the bigscreen. And after hearing the endpart music for the first time I had bubbles in my stomach Many peoples from Paris where there, too - including Yes+Chandra from Orange Juice).

Old 11 June 2001, 21:11   #17
Amiga1992

Nice discussion here I just got back from a local digital arts/demoscene party. They showed a lot of demos for the PC, and there was, of course , a local competition. I got the 1st place at Flash demos, 2nd at Hires art and I about 6th at MP3 music. Of course, I took my Amiga with me. Everybody says "WOW" when they see it I couldnt use it because I had to remove the vidcap card from my PC.. I was planning to do an oldschool module with protracker. Maybe next time

I agree with Bobic here, about State of the Art. The music is ARSE but the rest is great. 9 fingers is a better dwemo, if only for the music.

Anyway, fave demos/intros:

Amiga ECS:
- 9 Fingers / Spaceballs
- Desert Dreams / Kephrens
- Technoogical Death / Mad Elks
- Extension / Pygmy
- Tetris / Melon Dezign
- Millenium / Scoopex

PC:
- State of Mind / Bomb
- Stash / TBL
- Kkowboys / Pulse?
- Heaven 7 / exceed
- Fuckwitt Daddy / Haujobb

...and others i saw this weekend and i forgot :P

THere are soem really cool ones for teh PC. Oh, accelerated ones, I love the ones done by a lcoal scener named Panoramix. He made a WICKED demo last year, and this year he did a better one. Worth a check. I'll try to nab the whole party archive, we never publish it in intl. scene sites, and we should!

Bobic: Nice to se you around! This is a great board. BTW, you could contact Codetapper thru here. His email is at his info.
Old 11 June 2001, 22:58   #18
Bobic

Akira: Thanks. I thought you're talking about Codetapper after I read throught some messages here .
Old 12 June 2001, 00:34   #19
Amiga1992

Codetapper is a great guy. He will be happy to help you, methinks. I am now looking for a copy of Putty Squad for him. I think I saw that ellusive bastard somewhere around here!
Old 26 June 2001, 13:18   #20
Tim Janssen

Question Amiga demos on TV

I come back to the discussion about Amiga demos on TV. Last weekend (23-06-2001) I watched some trance/ambient videos late night in the program "Chillout Zone" on MTV Europe. To my surprise I saw a video featuring exactly the same effects which I also have seen on an Amiga Music demo called "Bass". It had a whirring path which was stretched horizontally every few seconds.
If I am correct that video was called 3Lux.

Does anyone know this video and whether Amigas were used? I think the video is produced somewhere in 1993.