English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 April 2011, 12:55   #1
superfly2000

Angry No sound in Mechforce

Tried on both a windows XP and a windows 7 computer.

I got the game from here:
<Link containing KS image removed, sorry>

Perhaps I need to fiddle with the sound settings in WinUAE?

Theese seem to be the default settings for sound in the WinUAE config I am running now:

Last edited by TCD; 11 April 2011 at 17:22.

Old 11 April 2011, 13:03   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

First of all : Get the latest WinUAE version http://www.winuae.net/
The version you're using is really old.
Old 11 April 2011, 14:50   #3
superfly2000

Oh yeah hehe..that could be it :-o

I just used that version that they mentioned at Sarna.

However...I tried the new version of WinUAE now and it looks severaly different from the one I had before. At least the configuration seems different.

So...how would applying the instructions from "how_to_install_and_run_mechforce.zip" (from the sarna files) work in the new version? (Because I tried it with the basic harddrive and ROM path settings I had and it didn't start at all...).

Edit: Yeah...when I get home I'll try it on my Windows XP home computer also.

Oh my god...you haven't played this game..hehe...it is great. Probably the one Amiga game me and my buddies wasted the most time on. It is a "simulation" of the Battletech board game (no 3D-shooter...just the hardcore tactics board game "ported" to a computer). There are some newer games for the PC, like Titans of Steel....but I kind of like the old Amiga version better....

Last edited by superfly2000; 11 April 2011 at 15:07.

Old 11 April 2011, 14:55   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Will have a look when I'm home later. Don't think I've seen that game before, so I'll check before giving any useless hints
Old 11 April 2011, 15:32   #5
ral-clan

I got the sound working in MechForce recently, so it does work...but I can't remember what I did! If it comes to me I'll post the information.
Old 11 April 2011, 17:57   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, strange way to distribute a game... found an ADF of it, but it's missing the addtional units it seems. For now, I hope that ral-clan can remember how he did it. Otherwise I'll have a second look and create a datadisk from the additional files.
Old 11 April 2011, 18:54   #7
superfly2000

Got it to work on my homecomputer. Seems XP is better for theese kinds of things (?).

However...this new version of WinUAE seems a pain to configure. I still didn't get full screen mode to work...it always displays outside of my screen whatever I choose it seems. The only display mode that works is windowed...but then it is a bit too small I think.

Sound is working though...even with some small hops in it at times.

Guess I'll keep fiddling a bit...

Do try the game. It is a bit advanced...but there should be some documentation...which I also didn't find everything of...

Old 11 April 2011, 19:03   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If the screen is just black, try changing the 'Graphics API' on the 'Miscellaneous' panel to 'DirectDraw'. If it's still 'off' afterwards, go to the 'Filter' panel and try 'Null filter' with 'Automatic scaling' there. At least good to hear the sound works now.
Old 11 April 2011, 19:23   #9
superfly2000

Even got sound to work in the old WinUAE version now that has fullscreen by default and fills out a desired part of the screen. I just put directsound on and also 44 kHz (instead of 22 KHz) and 16 bit (instead of 8 bit).

However, there are some odd things happening so I might have something to win from continuing to fiddle with the settings of the newer version.

The screen is not black...I just don't see the borders of the screen...because they are outside of my visible screen....and windowed mode is too small and when changing it it goes out of bounds again...

Anyway...I'll keep fiddling with that. Any help is ofocurse appreciated but it seems I am on my way now.

At least I can play it in the old version if all else fails....

Old 11 April 2011, 20:25   #10
superfly2000

Dunno...just getting 800x600 in windowed mode on the newer WinUAE version.

Also I have some issues that are even stranger than from the older version. It seems to rename folders for the mech-units...which can get tricky I guess.

Perhaps the KICK.ROM I am using with it isn't the best?

Anyway...the game seems to work somewhat fine with the old WinUAE version I have.

So I guess I could use the old WinUAE to play Mechforce and the newer version to play other games.

What about the kick.rom....what is that? Do I need to buy a better one? ...

Old 11 April 2011, 20:30   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Doubt the kickstart image you use causes these problems, but you can have a look here if you want to obtain legal ones. Would be strange if something would rename your folders though.