English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 06 July 2006, 11:38   #1
vandam

RDB-Salv

I'm looking for RDB-Salv registered version or serial/key/crk.
Or information how end where i can register it.
This is old software (10 years) and e-mails and web sites from readme file does'n work!!!

Thank's in advance
VD
Old 06 July 2006, 17:53   #2
thomas

Have you tried the address mentioned on the MakeCD homepage ? I am sure she is not willing to give it away for free.

BTW, this CD seems to contain a valid key for RDB-Salv, so you obviously can still buy it.

I wonder what you need it for. There are other programs on Aminet which are free, serve the same purpose and offer more features (e.g. PFS and SFS support which are explicitely excluded from RDB-Salv).
Old 12 July 2006, 08:04   #3
vandam

Can you give me the names of the programms which can do this.
I was trying to use RDBRecov and I got some problems. Can't open scsi.device unit 0 (TD_DRIVE_GEOMETRY error). In RDB-Salv i also get thiss message, but then RDB-Salv is using "different method" and it works fine.

Last edited by vandam; 14 July 2006 at 09:01.
Old 12 July 2006, 10:31   #4
ppill
CON: artist

What sort of parameters you're using when starting RDBrecov?
Remember that you need to configure your drive in HDToolBox(and write down some info like the number of Cylinders, Blocks per Cylinders, Bytes per Block) before having RDBrecov look at it.
RDBrecov is your best bet here. Good luck!
Old 17 July 2006, 09:46   #5
vandam

Now I have another problem. I managed to recovery my partitions, but they aren't mount automatically. I need to use SCSImount (or SCSIMounter - I don't remember exactly the name). If I mount - everything is o.k. Is there any solution for this this problem (automount)?
VD
Old 17 July 2006, 15:55   #6
thomas

Check the automount checkbox in HDToolbox for each partition.
Old 19 July 2006, 08:42   #7
vandam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Check the automount checkbox in HDToolbox for each partition.
It's se, and unfortunatelly it doesn't help
Old 19 July 2006, 13:41   #8
thomas

Where do you run SCSIMounter from if the HDD does not appear ? Where is the HDD connected to ? Where do you boot from ? How did you recover your partitions ? Which program do you use to change partitioning ? Did you sometimes use another program ?
Old 19 July 2006, 14:18   #9
vandam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Where do you run SCSIMounter from if the HDD does not appear ? Where is the HDD connected to ? Where do you boot from ? How did you recover your partitions ? Which program do you use to change partitioning ? Did you sometimes use another program ?
I used RDB-Salv (unregistered version) to find out the sizes of my partitions. Then i used HDToolBox. I read the disk structure (how many cilinders, bytes per block etc.).
After this I used this information: partition size & from HDToolBox & calculator, and then I calculated offests for begin and end and put them into HDToolBox->partitions. Fortunatelly I got (without one exception) all my paritions in FFS so it was enough only to calculate offsets and have FastFileSystem file in L:.

But parititions dont want mount automatically!

I think there is still a problem with disk stucture. When I'm trying to use any softwary which try to open sscsi.device uint 0 I always got message: Can't open device, TD_GEOMETRY error (or something similar).
But the geometry is corect (I can check it in HDToolBox).
On my Amiga currently works only two programs whitch use scsi.device i.e. SCSIMount and HDToolBox. If I mount partitions with SCSIMount I can use for example DiskSalv....
Old 19 July 2006, 15:06   #10
thomas

Quote:
Can't open device, TD_GEOMETRY error (or something similar).
These are two different errors.

"Can't open device" means that you specified a device/unit combination which does not exist (e.g. misspelled device name or wrong unit number or both).

"TD_GETGEOMETRY error" means that the device driver does not support the TD_GETGEOMETRY command. This is quite usual and does not limit the function of the HDD.

Quote:
But the geometry is corect (I can check it in HDToolBox).
Different versions of HDToolbox give you different geometry data. There is no "real" geometry of a HDD, a HDD presents itself as a long string of blocks. To recover your partitions it's only important that you use the same geometry as you used when the partitions were created. That's why I asked if you ever used another program to create partitions.

Partitions always start on cylinder boundaries. So what you need to know is how many blocks fit into a cylinder, then you can calculate how many cylinders the HDD has. HDToolbox always starts the first partition at cylinder number 2, so if you used HDToolbox to create the partitions, you can calculate the number of blocks per cylinder from start of the first partition if you know at which block it starts.