English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 January 2007, 13:58   #61
vroom6sri

Is the PS2 or Xbox better for running emulators (mainly for running UAE)?
Old 22 January 2007, 14:28   #62
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

WinUAEX (Xbox) is great, much better than the PS2 version of UAE.
Old 23 January 2007, 13:57   #63
vroom6sri

Is there a lot of messing around required to get UAE running on the X-box and PS2 and PSP? Is the effectiveness of the PSP version the same as the PS2?

So many questions...
Old 23 January 2007, 14:05   #64
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well firstly you need your xbox chipped. Once that's done it's just a matter of downloading a bootdisc, then you can ftp anything you like onto your xbox.
Old 23 January 2007, 15:18   #65
ADDiCT

The XBox is _the_ perfect machine for emulators! I bought a modded one two years ago, and enjoyed the machine since then. You don't even need a chip, all XBoxes can be soft-modded easily (just Google).

The hardware is powerful enough to emulate PSX and N64 in full speed, and a very good selection of emulators is available. Many of the emulators have been ported by a guy called "XPort", so all of these have (more or less) the same look & feel, and the same featureset (Nice GUI, savestates, screenshots, fully configurable controllers, support for USB-hardware, etc.). They can run from harddisk or DVD. The homebrew scene is not very active right now, but activity often comes in bursts (=lots of new versions in a short timeframe).

IMHO, on of the greatest advantages of this platform comes from the fact that your are playing on a TV-set. This means you will get _perfectly_ smooth scrolling in the games. For example, i'm unable to get real smooth scrolling in "Turrican" on the PC with WinUAE - no matter what i do (might just be me, there's a stupid LCD involved, which doesn't make things easier). I've already tried alot of different tweaks and settings, even running the USA version. Even in the last Beta WinUAE, i get occasional framerate-"Hiccups". The same game on the XBox scrolls abolutely perfect, when i start the game in the correct mode (PAL-50 for PAL or PAL-60 for NTSC games, in my case).

The two major negative points: most of the emulators are "half-legal", as they have been compiled with unlicensed versions of the MS XDK. And there's only a handful of people doing the ports, so there might be no new ports, if these people lose interest in the platform.

XBins will get you started, if you're interested. Oh, and there are also quite alot of good native games on the platform (Halo, MGS2 Substance, Stranger's Wrath, etc.).

Old 23 January 2007, 16:07   #66
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDiCT
The hardware is powerful enough to emulate PSX and N64 in full speed
Whilst I agree that the XBox is a SUPERB emulation station, I disagree on this statement
Old 23 January 2007, 17:52   #67
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I've got Mame on my Dreamcast and a nice arcade stick (albeit grey and green!) to play the games. The games feel much more authentic when not played with a pad or keys! Must get an adapter to hook the stick to my pc!
Old 23 January 2007, 19:54   #68
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus
I've got Mame on my Dreamcast and a nice arcade stick (albeit grey and green!) to play the games. The games feel much more authentic when not played with a pad or keys! Must get an adapter to hook the stick to my pc!
These are all pretty cool joysticks for MAME32:

... HotRod SE
... SlikStik
... X-Arcade

I've had a HotRod SE for 5+ years now, it's taken lots of gaming action and still going strong
Old 23 January 2007, 20:15   #69
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Blimey, they're not bad! Mind you I picked up my dreamcast stick for £10!
Old 23 January 2007, 20:26   #70
DamienD
Banned

True, they are a bit expensive... The HotRod SE cost me about £70 at the time and quite a bit in shipping

Worth every penny though, I usually have my laptop connected straight into the TV and the HotRod SE on the living room table. Wicked when friends come around to play all those lovely MAME32 games
Old 23 January 2007, 20:52   #71
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

That's a good point. Most emulators look a lot better (to me!) when put through the TV!
Old 23 January 2007, 22:06   #72
vroom6sri

Thanks for the info guys. Plenty for me to consider. Seeing as I don't any toys (oops!) I mean consoles yet I think I will have to have a look at MAME. Especially if it plays classics like the original Robocop and Turtles!
Old 23 January 2007, 22:48   #73
JacksonXZ

WinUAE
MAME32
SNES9x
VisualBoyAdvance
Visual Pinball
ScummVM

Old 25 January 2007, 22:43   #74
cv643d

My favorite emus are:

MS-DOS/Win32: Raine
GBA: That ZX-spectrum emu
XBOX: Snes9x port

I have boycotted later versions of MAME, I want to play games now, not have a 100% perfect experience running on cheap hardware available 10 years from now. That is why Raine rules, download a full set and most games run so fast you wont believe your eyes.
Old 28 January 2007, 23:20   #75
vroom6sri

What is a really good FREE Sega Mega Drive emulator with lots of easily downloadable games? I fancy playing Sonic as I have never tried it out.
Old 29 January 2007, 01:01   #76
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Gens and Kega are the most popular ones I think. Personally I prefer Gens.

http://gens.consolemul.com/
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega

There's also HazeMD, based on MAME code and written by MAME developer David Haywood.

http://haze.mameworld.info/
Old 30 January 2007, 09:23   #77
vroom6sri

Gens does seem to be quite good. Only tried a few games on it so far.

MAME is my next when to experiment with. What is the file extension for MAME games? I'll use it when searching Limewire!
Old 30 January 2007, 11:38   #78
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Mame uses zipped rom files

Search for *.zip, you should get a few results

Honestly though, you are better off using one of the mame resources online and getting the zip names from them. (or even downloading from the sites, you know what you're getting that way )
Old 30 January 2007, 22:17   #79
vroom6sri

I thought that it was like searching for hen's teeth when trying to find ROMs of games on t'internet coz the websites keep getting politely asked to remove them by the copyright owners. Then again I only tried a few sites and listened to too much speculation I guess!
Old 30 January 2007, 22:50   #80
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

http://www.coolrom.com/
http://romhustler.net/

oh and a site called gametronik which I can't link to or mention so I'll remove this line in a minute.