English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 April 2009, 05:24   #1
MikeA

Running Games / Demos With No File Extension

Hi all, I am very new to all this stuff. Having said that, I'm having a bit of trouble here I have managed to install WinUAE and Workbench 3.1. Prior to installing Workbench, I have been using the floppy disk images (*.DMS, *.ADF) to view demos and games, and all is well there, but here is my new problem. I have downloaded a demo called Luminagia from Loonies, but I cannot for the life of me get it to work, there is no file extension, the file is just called Luminagia. If I load it in the flopppy drive all I get this error:

runme.exe: not enough memory available
runme.exe: failed returncode 10
1>

I have tried all of the available models in WinUAE as well as the configurations below, but none of them seemed to help. I also tried adjusting the memory manually and maxing the systems out, but still no go. I get a similar error if I double click on the file within Workbench as well. Is it possible to get this demo to work? Is it not compatible with Workbench 3.1 perhaps? I am completely stumped here. If anyone knows how to get this to work, I would greatly appreciate the help, thank you!

Mike.

Edit: I have been able to get this to work. It will work when inserted in to the virtual floppy disk drive, but after reading a post that has nothing to do with getting anything to work, it mentioned Z3 Fast, which I didn't recall changing, so I went back, selected the A4000 and maxed the Z3 Fast RAM and it worked, I almost fell out of my chair lol. It seems I need to select a minimum of 16MB Z3 Fast RAM, otherwise I get a memory error. I do notice now though that the sound is very crackly / staticy, I'm still trying to figure that out, but if anyone knows how to fix that, that would be great!

Mike.

Last edited by MikeA; 21 April 2009 at 06:11. Reason: Not finished!

Old 21 April 2009, 07:26   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I do notice now though that the sound is very crackly / staticy, I'm still trying to figure that out, but if anyone knows how to fix that, that would be great!

Mike.
Hi MikeA and welcome to EAB
If it's not only the sound, but also the demo itself, that runs not very smooth you could enable 'JIT' and the 'CPU and FPU' window. You can also try to lower the resolution on the display window and see if that helps.
Old 21 April 2009, 07:40   #3
MikeA

Hello and thank you for welcoming me I actually came back to say that I have fixed it. It turns out, enabling "NTSC" under the chipset section corrects the problem! Still amazes me that a 4k demo needs such a powerful machine to run...

Old 21 April 2009, 08:05   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good to hear it works now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Still amazes me that a 4k demo needs such a powerful machine to run...
It still amazes me that it only needs 4k for such a cool demo Because of the small file size, the more has to be calculated and decrunched. Think about it that way