Ironclaw
Banned

Looking for a walkthrough for Odyssey.

http://hol.abime.net/2278

If there is one....
Old 14 April 2007, 12:10   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

There is graphics glitch when you transform to some kind of animal/insect & game can not be completed. I saw it on youtube too. I can't find adf version without that problem.
Old 14 April 2007, 12:17   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

I read the threads with this game for title here on EAB, and in one of them I read about that sort of glitch... more like you disappear.... so, is the game not completable?

Clerification please.

Want to make a longplay of it.
Old 14 April 2007, 12:25   #4
Galaxy

There are some playing tips for it here:
http://amr.abime.net/review_29317
Old 14 April 2007, 12:28   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ] sadly my game glitches when i transformed so my creature wasn't visable
Old 14 April 2007, 13:21   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok thanks... that magazine scan and the youtube will be helpful... will try the game later... I think I know a way to cope with the invisibility(omg 5 i's in one word!) problem.... have had similar situations in other games.... mostly PC games.
Old 14 April 2007, 13:36   #7
AmigaBoy

I've completed Odyssey. I don't recall any graphics glitches.

I can't recall much about it however. It was back in the late 90s/early 00's. What I do know is, either I completed it through emulation (An early WinUAE or WinFellow), OR I completed it on a real Amiga using ADFs I would have downloaded off the net.

With that said, either your ADFs are screwed or emulation is screwed. I can't really say. I have no idea which ADFs I used. Since then, I've just been using whatever's in TOSEC.

I hope that helps, maybe.
Old 14 April 2007, 13:37   #8
Galaxy

There is also this walkthrough for the demo version that was provided with Amiga Format - don't know if it will be of any use though.
http://amr.abime.net/review_15810
Old 14 April 2007, 13:48   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
I've completed Odyssey. I don't recall any graphics glitches.

I can't recall much about it however. It was back in the late 90s/early 00's. What I do know is, either I completed it through emulation (An early WinUAE or WinFellow), OR I completed it on a real Amiga using ADFs I would have downloaded off the net.

With that said, either your ADFs are screwed or emulation is screwed. I can't really say. I have no idea which ADFs I used. Since then, I've just been using whatever's in TOSEC.

I hope that helps, maybe.
Havn't played more than 3 mins yet.... but hopefully the ones that experiences the invisibility glitch might been using faulty adfs. I'll see later (if today) when I try it out.
Old 14 April 2007, 14:20   #10
AmigaBoy

ok. I looked into it.... It's an emulation problem. I tried with the SPS IPF's and the config in GBAmiga. I got the crawl crystal and tried to switch. Every once in a while, you end up going invisible.

So, I reloaded, but with everything set to highest compatiblity (cycle exact, 100% sound, OCS, A500, etc.). I got the crystal and it all worked fine. Never once did I go invisible.

So, whether the ADFs you guys are using are screwed or not, I don't know. It's likely that their not.

It shouldn't take very long to test this. It took me 5 to 10 minutes to get the crystal on that level. Go into the first cavern and run through that. You'll pick up 2 keys. Exit the cavern and you'll end up using one of these keys almost immediately at a door to the right. From here, just keep on going up. Eventually, you'll find the crystal.
Old 14 April 2007, 14:29   #11
Ironclaw
Banned

Yup, probably most versions works and it's only a emulation problem... when I try later I would have figured it out....

But now glad to know that I don't have to try... I'll just keep my config and play on..... those that played probably didn't have cycle exact on... (cause it's probably a cycle exact issue). I never have emulation problems with any games . I'm a WinUAE pro .
Old 14 April 2007, 16:14   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, tried it anyway, worked for me aswell, the first try with my basic config. I had cycle exact on, which I think is the cause of this error for others.

So, probably any version in the tosec works, just use cycle exact. Why hasn't anyone before in any other thread gotten this to work?, and if someone has, why not say to use cycle exact? It's quite obvious.
Old 14 April 2007, 16:22   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
So, probably any version in the tosec works, just use cycle exact. Why hasn't anyone before in any other thread gotten this to work?, and if someone has, why not say to use cycle exact? It's quite obvious.
There are a lot of games, which needs special WinUAE settings. But yes, cycle exact or immediate blitter fixes a lot of problems. Everyone should tinker with this settings in the case of emulation glitches.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 14 April 2007 at 17:31.
Old 15 April 2007, 08:09   #14
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, this game is quite big, and it's unavoidable to get stuck now and then. Of course it's not for long, but still..... it would take some time to play though this game.... so, I won't... at least not for now.... got other, easier and shorter games to play and record first .

If I had a FULL walkthrough I would play through the game.

So, if someone of you guys know it all in the game, and now knowing that the gfx glitch is easily fixable, please record this game for RAG . This game is a looker... smooth animations....
Old 16 April 2007, 13:38   #15
Anubis
Retro Gamer

In the mean time you can enjoy retroplay's Starfox and Axel longplays.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:59   #16
RickyC

oh oh thats my video I did get the thing to appear in the end but was more by accident. The creature and guy would appear but disappear when i moved right -_- I could never get it to work when i was on record though so i gave up.

I would love to find away round that because this was one of my fave games!

EDIT - reads up, oh i will try that Im not all knowing about winuae. I just found out how to get 1200 games to work lol and how to not have black borders round my recordings.

I did complete this game when i was like umm 13?. Tis really not that hard. You can only start on 3 islands that you can complete, The top right, top left and bottom if i remember. These are the islands with the bluebird, the grasshopper and the umm rock one i think. Your aim is to find the main animal crystal thingy for that island. Though each island may have like a secondary crystal that you need to help you get the main one. Like the grasshopper for going over the boxes to reach the spider cystal.

The other islands, except the middle, need a combination of two of the main animal crystals from the starter islands to umm start. The middle needs you to have mostt of the animals from all islands.

Dont remember getting stuck but i did miss out on some animal things because i dont think you need them all to complete. lol i say its not that hard, but most amiga games i come back to i cant complete lvl 1.

OH and that demo walkthrough ownt be of help i think. The demo had its own level not in the main game if i remember. You had to get the lil bluebird in the demo.

Last edited by RickyC; 17 April 2007 at 03:17.
Old 18 April 2007, 11:47   #17
Anubis
Retro Gamer

You can download the demo from here.

AMR & Zetr0 made great work making those online.

This seems a nice game. I never tried it.
Old 18 April 2007, 15:22   #18
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i have odyssey in original, may you want it ?
Old 18 April 2007, 15:34   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Isn't SPS version also 'original'?
Old 18 April 2007, 16:10   #20
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yes also, but the adf used by ironclaw can be fucked (copylocked protection is used on this game).

BTW : here is the scans from my game manual :

It will help those who are lost in the commands.

PS : i have the third version revised of the game, and i will dump it for SPS.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 25 October 2007 at 00:20.