English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 September 2009, 02:54   #1
ami_junkie

It could have been so good ...

Hi guys, I finally received my A1200 I bought off AmiBay in Japan, and I installed the lovely Indivision AGA and one of the new Typhoon 030/40 boards and booted the machine up. Beautiful screen and wonderfully nippy ..... but .... the sound, the sound is very crunchy and low, almost sounds like a spectrum. I am having the worrying feeling that maybe the CAPs are leaking, I had a check on the motherboard but could not see anything, but maybe it is recent. So I am kind of stuck, should I change the CAPs and if so, is there anyone in Japan who is able to do this? I have exploding thumbs and will probably set my A1200 onto fire if I do something like this. Looking forward to any suggestions, thanks guys!
Cheers,
Timo

Old 24 September 2009, 03:22   #2
8bitbubsy

I had the exact same problem... I thought it was the caps, but no, it was because I overloaded the A1200 PSU... Try using a stronger PSU, like an ATX PSU!

My setup was:
A1200 + Indivision AGA 1200 + 030/50MHz 32MB RAM + 1GB CF
Standard A600/A1200 PSU

The sound works perfectly nice now, with the ATX PSU
Old 24 September 2009, 03:32   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

It does sound like a poor -12v problem with the PSU,

as 8bitbubsy states, change the psu for a better powerd one, a modified ATX would be perfect for it.
Old 24 September 2009, 03:51   #4
ami_junkie

Cool thanks guys, I will put in an order with Amigakit then for a stronger PSU. I am terrible at creating a ATX adapter. Thanks for all the help guys, hope it will sort it out. Come to think of it, the machine was really unstable and crashing with guru meditation when I was running it from the hard disk, there was strange tearing on the screen too but when I unplugged the HD and ran from a disk the machine seemed more stable.

Old 24 September 2009, 04:10   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@ami_junky

thats certainly a power problem! you old brick needs replacing, please becarful power spikes from dying psu's can be very damaging to Amiga Components.

Its such a shame you dont live closer, I could sory you out a Converted ATX PSU =(

if you want, find one of the these locally and I will mod it for you, all you would have to pay is postage.... alas Japan, is a long way.....

I do hope to visit Japan one day.... =)

(best to find a good solid PSU in the 120watt or more, an MATX would be perfect)
Old 24 September 2009, 04:18   #6
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Please let us now how it went ami_junkie.
Old 24 September 2009, 04:19   #7
ami_junkie

Thanks Zetr0, glad to it is just a PSU problem, phew! I`ll make sure not to use the miggy until I get a more powerful supply and thanks for your offer, I will have a look at the total cost from Amigkit and if it works out more I will see if I can find one here and send it to you, I feel bad though if all I would pay is postage, would there be anything you want from Japan? BTW would be great if you come to Japan, let me know if you make it, I`ll take you out for some beers or shochu

Old 24 September 2009, 04:20   #8
ami_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Please let us now how it went ami_junkie.
Cheers mate, will keep you updated on the progress.

Old 24 September 2009, 04:23   #9
8bitbubsy

http://www.redsretro.com/index.php?m...products_id=20
This one is nifty if you don't want to cut any cables on an ATX PSU.. I use this one with a 360W PSU.
Old 24 September 2009, 04:30   #10
ami_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
http://www.redsretro.com/index.php?m...products_id=20
This one is nifty if you don't want to cut any cables on an ATX PSU.. I use this one with a 360W PSU.
Brilliant, that is nice and cheap, I will buy one of those today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for that one, I had forgotten about Red`s store.

Old 24 September 2009, 04:53   #11
Cammy

You can get them cheaper and closer from here - http://www.amigamaniac.com/atx_to_amiga.html just to let you know.
Old 24 September 2009, 05:31   #12
ami_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
You can get them cheaper and closer from here - http://www.amigamaniac.com/atx_to_amiga.html just to let you know.

Nice one Cammy, just got me in time, I was about to buy from Red`s store, was a bit disapoointed with the shipping cost, will check check out the other site.

Old 24 September 2009, 05:47   #13
ami_junkie

Right I ordered the cable from Amiga Maniac, pretty good 2,500 yen including shipping, I just need to head down to Hard Off (big cheap second hardware shop) and get the right PSU. Thanks for all the help so quickly guys, will let you know how it works along with some pictures of the lovey lady in japan

Old 24 September 2009, 05:53   #14
8bitbubsy

Hard Off! Every geek's wet dream.. I've seen some vids of lukemorse1 on youtube, shopping on Hard Off... It's like pr0n!
I hope I end up there when I die.
Old 24 September 2009, 06:00   #15
ami_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Hard Off! Every geek's wet dream.. I've seen some vids of lukemorse1 on youtube, shopping on Hard Off... It's like pr0n!
I hope I end up there when I die.
LOL yeah it is a great place, would be much better if they had Amiga stuff but a Neo Geo AES for 25 quid aint too bad hehehe.

Old 24 September 2009, 07:44   #16
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie View Post
Right I ordered the cable from Amiga Maniac, pretty good 2,500 yen including shipping, I just need to head down to Hard Off (big cheap second hardware shop) and get the right PSU. Thanks for all the help so quickly guys, will let you know how it works along with some pictures of the lovey lady in japan
Hard Off Cool name. I guess they tried to register the company under the name 'Hard On' but a bureaucrat put a stop to that
Old 28 September 2009, 02:30   #17
ami_junkie

I just had a quick test of the Amiga by taking out the Indivision, Hard drive and Accelerator and ran the same game by disk, the sound is still extremely low and fuzzy sounding. I am running my psu from a transformer from 120 to 240 volts, and the cable from the amiga to the psu has been cut and twisted together again, could this still be the fault of the psu, or could the sound problem be with the motherboard?

Old 28 September 2009, 06:30   #18
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Just re-caping the motherboard to be sure. If the problem is just in the sound output just replace the two 22uF capacitors near the connectors and the problem will go away.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:56   #19
ami_junkie

Ok, so not too much to replace, how tough is it with the soldering though? I have never unsolder-ed anything before :|

Old 28 September 2009, 07:17   #20
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Pending in your abilities with a soldering iron, not a very hard job.

If you have two soldering irons just heat the two legs of the capacitor and it will sack out the board quite nicely.