English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 02 February 2002, 12:44   #1
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Warlock + Feud

http://borrowedtime.emuunlim.com/btt...yold/Games.htm

Could anybody upload this 'Warlock'? Thanks.

Edit: If anybody has Feud, I'd be very happy too.

Last edited by Kodoichi; 02 February 2002 at 12:59.
Old 02 February 2002, 15:10   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
That would be Warlock by Three Sixty Pacific.
Upped in the Zone, but:
everybody please look if you have the QUARTEX crack without the MadMonks fix! This fix for 512K Amigas has been done after Quartex released the game, so there must exist a non-fixed Quartex version as well!
The one I upped is already TOSECized, btw. The "pure" Quartex crack isn't (yet).

//EDIT! I found another one with almost the same name, Warlock's Quest - this is the same game!
I don't know what's the story behind this, but this one shows the credits of the programming team (Music: Stephane Picq ... ) the above doesn't!
Looks like 'Warlock' is the budget release of 'Warlock's Quest'.
If you know more, please post here.

Last edited by andreas; 02 February 2002 at 16:15.
Old 02 February 2002, 17:32   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

To begin things, thanks for that rare budget release of Warlock's Quest! Here's what little I know of on the subject.

Warlock was published in the US in 1988 by Three-Sixty Pacific (and created by and licensed from Infogrames). For European release, it was picked up by budget label Smash-16 (not sure what year), who were responsible for several obscurities. As was done all too often, publishers felt the need to change the name and cover art when changing shores.

One last note: this may have been ported from the ST, since ST screenshots are on the back of the box, but even if it is, it doesn't appear to be shovelware (no filenames on the disk like WARLCK.PRG or anything like that). And the first command in the startup-sequence is nofastmem.

That's it.

//had to fix a messup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warlock.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1747  

Last edited by Twistin'Ghost; 02 February 2002 at 17:58.
Old 02 February 2002, 17:43   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
everybody please look if you have the QUARTEX crack without the MadMonks fix! This fix for 512K Amigas has been done after Quartex released the game, so there must exist a non-fixed Quartex version as well!
The one I upped is already TOSECized, btw. The "pure" Quartex crack isn't (yet).
Almost forgot to reply to this. I found an old version in my DMS coolection from the old days. I bought it from Software Etc. for a few bucks (it was a blowout) and used one of those parameter copiers on it, which removed the protection. I think it was RawCopy...whichever one puts that fuinny bootblock on the games. Anyhow, it's not the unfixed Quartex crack, but since it's straight off the original, I suspect it should serve the same purpose. Plus it's another one for your non-TOSEC library.

@s4murai
I posted a couple of TOSEC versions of Feud for you. I have another version that's non TOSEC recognized which probably went the same route as Warlock, since (oddly enough) I bought both games at the same time in the same blowout sale! No crack info on the disk, so I probably deprotected it in a similar manner. Let me know if anyone wants this non-TOSEC version.
Old 02 February 2002, 18:34   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It's also worth noting that the disk posted to the Zone,

Warlock (1988) (Three Sixty) [cr Quartex][f MadMonks].zip

is infected with the Butonic link virus. It's 2916 bytes and can be found in the root directory with the name " ". For more info on this 3.0 strain of the virus, go here.
Old 02 February 2002, 19:55   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

No s4murai, Warlock The Avenger is a GAUNTLET clone!
Look at the Druid trilogy (C64) to know which game the idea was taken from ...

Quote:
To begin things, thanks for that rare budget release of Warlock's Quest!
You're welcome. But that's paradox as hell! I thought that the version of "Warlock's Quest" was the full original release of the game (because it had full credits) and that it was taken (and licensed) to Three-Sixty pacific after that!
So are you still sure that this is the budget version?
The original producing team were ERE Informatique, so the version on the comp disk could still be the originally released European version...

Ah, and thanks for the "pure" version!
Some bad news: your version doesn't work on emulators (hangs @ track 55).

//EDIT: Virus has been removed.
I also removed the binary content that previously prevented the user from viewing it with ED.

Last edited by andreas; 02 February 2002 at 20:36.
Old 03 February 2002, 00:12   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Almost, but not 100%.
Gauntlet and Druid and Warlock The Avenger (mega-funny, after some querying of search engines I found out that WTA = Druid III on the C64 ) are the same game genre.
Feud is NOT ... at least not completely. The above games have bird's-eye view, Feud hasn't.
Old 03 February 2002, 03:18   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
But that's paradox as hell! I thought that the version of "Warlock's Quest" was the full original release of the game (because it had full credits) and that it was taken (and licensed) to Three-Sixty pacific after that!
So are you still sure that this is the budget version?
The original producing team were ERE Informatique, so the version on the comp disk could still be the originally released European version...
Well, budget doesn't mean it has to be cut down. But to answer the question, I really don't know which region got the game first, only that it originated in France. And yes, there could have been an original release in Europe before the Smash-16 version. Unfortunately this stuff is hard to research without pre-1989 Euro magazines which might have reviews, ads or news blurbs about past, current, or future releases. Anybody have any of these?

Quote:
Ah, and thanks for the "pure" version!
Some bad news: your version doesn't work on emulators (hangs @ track 55).
Yes, I noticed that. And gave up in the hopes that you would do a better job at troubleshooting. I am back to using 8.8r8 as I tried updating to the newest WinUAE which just will not work on my machine worth a damn (if at all!)
Old 03 February 2002, 08:30   #9
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Warlock The Avenger = Druid 1 on c64

Actually (as the subject says) Warlock The Avenger is the same game as Druid 1 on the c64 ... all levels are exactly the same!
On C64 there were also Druid 2 and Druid 3 (which was also named Warlock the Avenger and is basically the same game as Druid 1 just with a bit different level design).
Old 03 February 2002, 10:35   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Druid II has the appellation "Enlightenment".
I've always been thinking that Druid I = Druid and Druid III = Warlock The Avenger.
Makes sense because in part III, you can read 'WARLOCK' at the top.