English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 November 2023, 02:46   #21
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
When Inviyya was still dual playfield I did that. And thought I had the most clever idea ever that no one else ever thought about before..

You can even see this in action in this video:
[ Show youtube player ]

The blue enemies are in the background layer.
I'm still not understanding this ?, in Dublin playfield on OCS there's 6 bitplanes but its split into 2 3 bit planes per field so 8 colours each with colour 0 being transparent on the foreground field limiting it's colours to 7 in total.
On top of that you can use sprites to use the full 16 colours.
What palette in your video are the bobs using? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how dual plsy field works on the Amiga, as I said above and my understanding is 2x3 bitplsnes on OCS which really is using 6 bitpkanes but the colours are duplicated to prevent generating new colours as the fields overlap?
Old 03 November 2023, 07:50   #22
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I'm still not understanding this ?, in Dublin playfield on OCS there's 6 bitplanes but its split into 2 3 bit planes per field so 8 colours each with colour 0 being transparent on the foreground field limiting it's colours to 7 in total.
On top of that you can use sprites to use the full 16 colours.
What palette in your video are the bobs using? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how dual plsy field works on the Amiga, as I said above and my understanding is 2x3 bitplsnes on OCS which really is using 6 bitpkanes but the colours are duplicated to prevent generating new colours as the fields overlap?
You are thinking too complicated, my friend..
With this little trick, you just blit into the background instead of the foreground layer, and use its colors. The trick is to make it look like the object is belonging to the foreground.
But if you watch my video, you will see that the blue enemies are always behind the other ones.

If you for instance only use 4 colors in the background, you have 4 independent colors for spare that way.
Can make a huge difference in a Dual Playfield game.
Old 03 November 2023, 12:00   #23
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
It is a Megadrive game ! I would'nt be surprised that the MD version is the originam one and the Amiga a port.
Nope, we developed the Amiga and MD versions side by side in tandem
Old 03 November 2023, 13:25   #24
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
That game does wonders with DPF mode.

Chapeau, Dan...
Old 03 November 2023, 17:54   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Wonder Dog and Chuck Jr do share the same base engine? At a first glance would seem so
Old 03 November 2023, 18:08   #26
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Wonder Dog and Chuck Jr do share the same base engine? At a first glance would seem so
Yup, from HOL https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/c...i-son-of-chuck "The game engine that was used for the Amiga version of Chuck Rock 2 would later be used as a basis for the Amiga version of Wonderdog. From author Dan Scott: "Wonderdog was coded for Mega-CD, and then Chuck Rock 2 for Megadrive/Mega-CD was based around that engine. I then started Chuck Rock 2 on Amiga, and after, we decided to convert Wonderdog to amiga too." It is interesting to note that it is the exact opposite of what happened on Sega platforms (Chuck Rock 2 using the engine used originally for Wonderdog)."
Old 03 November 2023, 18:50   #27
sokolovic

Quote:
Thanks you for the précision. Always nice to have this kind of info by insiders.

Just a question, was it ever thought to make the CD32 version AGA ? (Same thing for Wonderdog).
I Ask because Core did make an AGA version of Heimdall 2 and even AGA only games (Banshee and Skeleton Krew).
Old 03 November 2023, 19:58   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Definitely Dual Playfield stresses a lot the art workload. Especially in regards to color usage and palettes. Other than 7 colors per layer being indeed quite restrictive, I think choosing the colors extremely carefully in the first place can make all the difference.
Was Exactkly thinking at carefully chosen palettes when i seen this Amstrad Castlevania inspired game (Mighty Castle Adventure), they are using the four color high res mode, but the colors chosen are so good that you might forget that!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimon69; 03 November 2023 at 20:04. Reason: added link to article
Old 03 November 2023, 21:26   #29
lionagony

Quote:
Was Exactkly thinking at carefully chosen palettes when i seen this Amstrad Castlevania inspired game (Mighty Castle Adventure), they are using the four color high res mode, but the colors chosen are so good that you might forget that!
Yeah, that use of 4 colors looks great. Being color restricted also lends itself to silhouette type games like we discussed in this thread https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=115927 The Amiga could have had or could still have a whole genre of games looking like modern examples Return, Limbo, or parts of Inside with only a few colours.
Old 03 November 2023, 23:59   #30
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I might just cite Blade Warrior, a "chinese shadow teather" graphic game
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 November 2023, 01:05   #31
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
As a non coder but an avid gamer I know that most of the Amiga's most visually impressive OCS/ECS games are in dual playfield, SOTB, Agony, Lionheart, Jim Power, Kid Chaos, Mr Nutz, Elfmania etc.
Elfmania doesn't use dual playfield mode btw, it's 32 colours (5 bitplanes) and sprites for the panel at the top and some extra effects.
Old 04 November 2023, 03:12   #32
lionagony

Quote:
I might just cite Blade Warrior, a "chinese shadow teather" graphic game
[ Show youtube player ]
Yes, and did you see what Tsak just posted in the other thread https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=39 amazing!
Old 04 November 2023, 03:25   #33
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Elfmania doesn't use dual playfield mode btw, it's 32 colours (5 bitplanes) and sprites for the panel at the top and some extra effects.
Wow, really, I always assumed it used dual playfield because of all the line scrolling and movement in the back but yeah I guess that doesn't make sense when it's so colourful. I know a lot of people would love if you started your Sprite Tricks series back up, I go back and reference those all the time. Elfmania would be a prime first candidate. Would also love to read the inner workings behind Lionheart and Mr Nutz. If you ever had the time in the future it would be really appreciated.
Old 06 November 2023, 14:09   #34
rothers

Quote:
Wow, really, I always assumed it used dual playfield because of all the line scrolling and movement in the back but yeah I guess that doesn't make sense when it's so colourful. I know a lot of people would love if you started your Sprite Tricks series back up, I go back and reference those all the time. Elfmania would be a prime first candidate. Would also love to read the inner workings behind Lionheart and Mr Nutz. If you ever had the time in the future it would be really appreciated.

I'd like to see a breakdown of how Elfmania works, it's a very strange setup.
Old 06 November 2023, 14:34   #35
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Just had a short look at it once again, and I think Elfmania is using sprites for those little background parallax effects. They are never seen over the whole screen if they are solid elements.

The stars in the winter village stage are, but that's just repositioning every line.
You can see that the stars are below the HUD, so my guess is that the HUD is done with sprites as well. But I think there is maybe a BOB for the faces and the vs box in the center added there. Otherwise it would not work. Had anybody checked that with UAE debugger?
Old 06 November 2023, 14:37   #36
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Just a question, was it ever thought to make the CD32 version AGA ? (Same thing for Wonderdog).
I Ask because Core did make an AGA version of Heimdall 2 and even AGA only games (Banshee and Skeleton Krew).

Yeah, I would have loved to have done a specific AGA version of Chuck Rock 2.

It would have been extremely close to the MD version, but unfortunately we were moving away from Amiga development at this time (my next project after Wonderdog, apart from helping out with some stuff on Blastar, was a Mega CD game, BC Racers)
Old 06 November 2023, 16:26   #37
lionagony

Quote:

It would have been extremely close to the MD version, but unfortunately we were moving away from Amiga development at this time (my next project after Wonderdog, apart from helping out with some stuff on Blastar, was a Mega CD game, BC Racers)
I've been playing through Chuck Rock 2 for the first time (great game BTW) and in line with this topic wondered why you didn't add the offset strips of parallax to the background like the MD version? Was that because it would negatively affect the speed? I actually think there are a bunch of instances where the Amiga version is already better than the MD one. The waterfall level for sure, I love the waterfalls in the background, are those sprites? Also the first level looks better imo with the front rock parallax and the bigger houses. I still have the last few levels to get through, hopefully tonight.

Last edited by lionagony; 06 November 2023 at 16:40.
Old 06 November 2023, 19:33   #38
eXeler0

Quote:

Can I go slightly off topic here. I can see that BC racers is using the new ”mode 7”-esque graphics mode that was only available on the Mega-CD add on and Later the 32X.
Market reception for those wasnt exactly great and also, the game was released before the 32x came out, so what was the marketing strategy there. Seems MegaCD wasnt a great large market to aim for?
Any memories of what was said at the time?
Old 06 November 2023, 20:21   #39
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
the waterfalls in the background, are those sprites?
Well spotted!! I forgot about those... yes, that's another place I used the 2 spare hardware sprites
Old 06 November 2023, 20:23   #40
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Can I go slightly off topic here. I can see that BC racers is using the new ”mode 7”-esque graphics mode that was only available on the Mega-CD add on and Later the 32X.
Market reception for those wasnt exactly great and also, the game was released before the 32x came out, so what was the marketing strategy there. Seems MegaCD wasnt a great large market to aim for?
Any memories of what was said at the time?
My memories from that particular time (1994 ish..) are all a bit hazy. I believe that we'd already had a couple of other successful Mega-CD games (eg.. Wonder Dog, Thunderhawk etc..)

I guess the strategy at the time, was probably believing that maybe they would become popular systems. Then PlayStation came along...