English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 November 2002, 00:41   #1
mlft

Question Two mouse pointers!

After starting the new version of winuae (8.22r2) either in full screen or in windowed mode i get two mouse pointers. The first from windows (that is not hidden), and the other from the workbench. Is it my system? should i have to describe my configuration (soft/hard) or it is a known problem?

Old 18 November 2002, 07:26   #2
Drake1009

Click the emulation window with your windows pointer and watch it disappear.
Old 18 November 2002, 12:13   #3
mlft

Smile Give up USB mice!!! :-P

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Click the emulation window with your windows pointer and watch it disappear.
- You didn't really understood what the problem is! The mouse pointer is being displayed no matter what I do to hide it.
- Here is what is really happening just in case anyone has the same problem: Seems that the new version is anti-USB mouse version since it doesn’t hide mouse pointer of a USB mouse (either in windowed or in full screen mode) but if you change it to a PS2 one the problem disappears

Old 23 November 2002, 10:13   #4
benjamin79

USB mouse, same exact problem. Creates some very frustrating usage problems as the windows pointer tracks much faster than the WBench one, like playing mouse pointer rodeo(round em up!).

It has nothing to do with window not being in focus, as the first respondant suggested.

It seems to be a bug. If anyone has a method other than replacing my USB connection, it would be appreciated.

Old 23 November 2002, 19:50   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Mouse manufacturer and model?

My Logitech Dual Optical USB works correctly.

Quote from DirectInput8 documentation: "Windows is not allowed any access and no mouse messages are generated. A further side effect is that the cursor disappears."

Apparently this is not true
Old 24 November 2002, 23:55   #6
jumbo

My Intellimouse Explorer is also doing the 2 pointer trick under WinMe.

Old 24 November 2002, 23:56   #7
jumbo

Yes its USB no I haven't installed any Intellipoint software.

Old 25 November 2002, 00:21   #8
LordBug

MS Intellimoose Explorer USB on Win2k. Intellipoint is installed (though I don't remember doing it). Never had a problem with dual pointers in WinUAE (any version to date).
Old 25 November 2002, 15:27   #9
benjamin79

Toni Wilen,

Mouse: MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

I seem to have discovered the condition under which the 'two pointer' problem occurs. It happens when 'Compatibility mode' is selected in the 'Input' section of the GUI. If I select one of the custom configuration options the windows pointer is disabled as intended.

Using a custom config though seems prevent me from using the options in the game/io ports sections(greyed out). Is this correct?

Old 25 November 2002, 15:33   #10
benjamin79

My system specs:

Windows ME
P3 @ 600Mhz
GF2 MX/400
256 Mb RAM

Old 25 November 2002, 16:51   #11
LordBug

Quote:
I seem to have discovered the condition under which the 'two pointer' problem occurs. It happens when 'Compatibility mode' is selected in the 'Input' section of the GUI. If I select one of the custom configuration options the windows pointer is disabled as intended.
I've run 22r1,2,3 in Compat mode for the most part (sometimes custom when I'm tinkering) and have never had dual pointers.

Specs for the curious:

Athlon XP 2000+
512MB RAM
Windows 2k Professional, SP2 (SP3 bites ass)
Direct X 8.1
up to date drivers for everything
Old 02 December 2002, 14:23   #12
mlft

I have two mice which are titled as "MS wheel mouse optical 1.1a USB and PS/2 compatible" on the label beneath them. the first was connected on the on-board USB controller of a Gigabyte M/B GA-8IXP using the standard MS USB driver version 4.90.3000. My OS is WinME (Reporting the same version number as the USB dirver). When i faced the two mouse pointer problem i tested winuae on an other PC with an Elite Group M/B and Win98SE and the same kind of mouse, which did exactly the same thing. Then i connected both mice on the PS/2 port via an USB-to-PS/2 adapter that came with them and the problem disappeared on both cases with no other modifications. When the new 22r3 arrived i checked to see if the problem was fixed but it hasn't. I am still using the mouse on PS/2 port and i am not having any more problems (so far). On both machines Directx V8.1a is installed. If you think it is necessary i can provide you more details. (Sorry this post got too long).

Old 02 December 2002, 14:46   #13
LordBug

Troubleshooting posts can NEVER be too long

Quote:
I have two mice which are titled as "MS wheel mouse optical 1.1a USB and PS/2 compatible" on the label beneath them
You have 2 mice showing up in your Device list? Am I reading that right?
Old 03 December 2002, 00:04   #14
mlft

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBug
You have 2 mice showing up in your Device list? Am I reading that right?
Oops sorry, it came out completely wrong! What i meant was that both PCs have the same kind of mouse (although one of them is about 8 months earlier purchased than the other one). So i was referring to the actual devices and not to the device drivers shown on the "windows device manager" list! I should also mention that (as far as i know ;-) all drivers are up to date.

Old 04 December 2002, 08:42   #15
benjamin79

Just thought I'd also mention that I have since tried on some older releases of WinUAE I had sitting on the HD (16R4 and 21R1). The 2 pointer problem doesn't occur under those older versions.

If it would help, I can download and test more versions. The issue only occurs when in compat mode on both 22R2 and 22R3 so far.

Old 05 December 2002, 10:00   #16
mlft

Quote:
Originally posted by benjamin79
If it would help, I can download and test more versions. The issue only occurs when in compat mode on both 22R2 and 22R3 so far. [/B]
I don’t think there is any need to check older versions, since this came up on 22r2 when I/O code section rewritten to replace the previous one and cure the sticky keys bug. Apart from that the new routine is superb, and as far as I can realize is rather a directx bug. What I don’t know is if there is a workaround.

Old 21 December 2002, 02:52   #17
Exodus

I didn't have a problem with the "two mouse pointers". I found that this problem didn't occur in the previous WinUAE versions, but now it does, which really doesn't bother me when I'm not using Workbench, since I usually drag the windows mouse pointer down the bottom of the screen and let it stay there.