My "disappearing mouse" (while browsing the internet) seems to be
fixed.

I'll see if I can "break it" tonight!

Old 28 May 2002, 19:39   #3
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Big grin Hooray!! Typhoon Thompson runs in R4

Yes!!!!

Last night i went out on a limb and bought Cloanto's "Amiga Explorer". Behind me is my Amiga 500 - now running a dump of Typhoon Thompson from the ADF image that didn't work in WinUAE. I was going to post here that i had verified the dump on a real Amiga, when i saw R4 had been released. Of course the first thing i did was see if i could get TT to run.

I still get these:

Illegal wget at 00f10000
Illegal wget at 00f10002
Illegal wget at 00f10004
Illegal wget at 00f10006
Illegal wget at 00f10008
Illegal wget at 00f1000a
Illegal wget at 00f1000c
Illegal wget at 00f1000e
Illegal wget at 00f10010
Illegal wget at 00f10012
Illegal wget at 00f10014
Illegal wget at 00f10016
Illegal wget at 00f10018
Illegal wget at 00f1001a
Illegal wget at 00f1001c
Illegal wget at 00f1001e
Illegal wget at 00f10020
Illegal wget at 00f10022
Illegal wget at 00f10024
Illegal wget at 00f10026

But the game runs now!
And it looks really, really cool with 20% Scanlines and Filtering!!!!

Thank you Toni, great work! For me, it doesn't get any better than this!!
Old 28 May 2002, 19:41   #4
gandalf1

Thumbs up

Yup, hat's off to the developers for a great release...i'm very impressed with the addition of OpenGL...works a treat and the ability to fiddle with the sliders and see the effect at the same time is great (makes resizing a breeze), and decent scan lines too.

Great stuff...keep up the good work.

Old 28 May 2002, 22:38   #5
Danny Bacon

In terms of sheer usablity, the new release of WinUAE has to be most significant in years. The screen position slider and sizer adjuster is wonderful. How many other emulators have this advanced feature?

The ability to change all GUI options after emulation has started is a godsend. I don't know how many times I used to start emulation accidentally by pressing 'OK' and then have to quit the emulator just to adjust a few settings.

Admittedly, the GUI is still quite formidable, but perhaps now that the GUI is 'always on' WinUAE could be given have a more user-friendly WinFellow-style GUI with a front-page for the floppies and a hard-reset button, and a 'configuration' button to access the other settings.

Old 28 May 2002, 23:24   #6
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

since we are speaking about menu's why not have a top and bottom bar so the menu's are always accessible? just like winvice the c64 emulator.
Old 28 May 2002, 23:49   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny Bacon
Admittedly, the GUI is still quite formidable, but perhaps now that the GUI is 'always on' WinUAE could be given have a more user-friendly WinFellow-style GUI with a front-page for the floppies and a hard-reset button, and a 'configuration' button to access the other settings.
Of course you realize that given that all users are different, there will be many differences of opinion about what constitutes "user friendly". In my own case, since I tend to create a separate configuration file for each game that holds the complete settings for each game, I find having the configuration tab be the first one displayed on entry to be very user friendly, since it allows me simply to scroll down to the game I want and double click on the configuration to load and run it, with no need to even have to look at any of the other tabs. I've always found WinUAE's handling of configuration files to be much more user-friendly than WinFellow's personally. My only point here is simply to point out that any GUI change that is made that has the effect of eliminating a few mouse clicks for some users while adding a few for others is likely to have as many people complaining about it as praising it, and probably more simply because it would be different than what users were accustomed to. For that reason, if I were contemplating some sort of a WinFellow style of GUI for WinUAE, I'd be tempted to create a new tab (or tabs) for that, and provide some sort of user option that would let users pick what style of GUI they wished to use. Just a thought ...
Old 29 May 2002, 05:28   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I downloaded the beta UAE and it doesn't work, complains about missing DLLs. I'm willing to help beta test, but you have to provide all necessary files!! So I couldn't test it, so probably it is bug-ridden.

WinUAE 0.8.8R9 runs fine for me without any of these files.
Old 29 May 2002, 07:40   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
complains about missing DLLs.
Not very useful bug report.. What about listing the missing dlls?

All required DLLs come with WinUAE (sdl.dll and zlib.dll)
My guess is that you have very old Windows version without some important DLLs that come with Windows 98 and later?
Old 29 May 2002, 10:48   #10
Bobbin

Thanks for all the great efforts you're putting in WinUAE. However, still got some problems with the latest release.
My system is Win98SE/Terratec DMX XFire (never made any problems)/GeForce2MX400/Celeron800. All the latest drivers are installed.
These are my problems:

1. Sound produces regular pauses. The pauses are approximately half as long as the buffer size. Using the sound adjust slider doesn't help. Adjusting the frame updates on the display tab also didn't help (neither do frequency adjusting or setting sound to mono).

2. WinUAE crashes when I use OpenGL.

3. I can finally set the display frequency and enable vsync. However, no matter how i set the frequency, when I return to the menu I always see the frequency set to 100Hz. This makes Turrican 2 run way too fast.
Old 29 May 2002, 12:06   #11
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

the regular pauses I think would be because you have a slow CPu for what winuae wants to do. try seeting the refresh in the display tab to every second fram, this should help a little, you could also try lowing the sound quality to 22khz and emulated but not 100% compatible.
as for opengl crashing try updating your drivers I have a geforce 2 ti with 29.40 drivers and there is nothing wrong with opengl with mine.
Old 29 May 2002, 16:35   #12
Bobbin

i try to go to 29.40, but i don't think the pauses are caused by my slow cpu. as i wrote i tried everything to take load of my cpu. i changed the refresh rate and i changed the sound frequency. none of it helped.
Old 29 May 2002, 21:12   #13
dbar

Happy

Great Job for this new release.
All I dream is included:
-> Bilinear filtering.
-> Super Frog and Twinworld nevermore contains graphic bug.

With the Open GL and filtering feature, Games and Demos look very good... more closed to real Amiga screen than ever.

Old 29 May 2002, 23:10   #14
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

Well it could be driver issues with your soundcard as well check them also.
Old 29 May 2002, 23:55   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

Great release BTW Toni

One idea for the next one, is it possible to add the brilliant, new zip support to kickstart images too?
Old 30 May 2002, 00:12   #16
BA

Question Kick31 does not work here

I downloaded WinUAE 0.8.21 R4 . kick1.3 , 2.04, 3.0 works but 3.1 not . The screen only "blinks" black and grey . What could that be ??

Old 30 May 2002, 00:27   #17
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

hey

Have no probs here try downloading the rom again from somewhere else also check display options.
Old 30 May 2002, 00:36   #18
Djay
95th User

Quote:
I downloaded WinUAE 0.8.21 R4 . kick1.3 , 2.04, 3.0 works but 3.1 not . The screen only "blinks" black and grey . What could that be ??
check to make sure that your config is for set-up correctly for the the Kickstart 3.1 rom, i.e. it's not the A4000 version of the kickstart and you've set-up an Amiga 1200...

i made mistake once and i got the same sort results as you.
Old 30 May 2002, 08:27   #19
Loof

wow! opengl: awesome. winuae-kaillera?

wow, awesome release toni!! the opengl mode is TOTALLY useful.. centering/resizing the desktop and games is EASY.
i have a question though - what's the likelyhood of the winuae-kaillera code being brought into your release in the future? i have to say, that'd make gaming in winuae ROCK, especially with all the improvements we've seen in winuae lately. besides that, and perhaps saved vertical/horizontal position/stretch settings, i can't think of a whole lot that could improve upon this already sweet emulator =D

keep up the good work! =)

Old 30 May 2002, 09:12   #20
Pyromania

Re: wow! opengl: awesome. winuae-kaillera?

Quote:
Originally posted by Loof
i have a question though - what's the likelyhood of the winuae-kaillera code being brought into your release in the future? i have to say, that'd make gaming in winuae ROCK, especially with all the improvements we've seen in winuae lately. besides that, and perhaps saved vertical/horizontal position/stretch settings, i can't think of a whole lot that could improve upon this already sweet emulator =D

keep up the good work! =)
Adding the kaillera code to this version of WinUAE would be awesome, then I could enjoy a round of Lemmings with one of my mates in Germany. Would it be hard to add it in Toni?