English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 29 October 2023, 02:12   #1
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

support.Amiberry

Could we get a dedicated support.Amiberry link in the Support Forum please?

There are support channels for Win-UAE / WinFellow and FS-UAE:
https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

but I feel that support for this dedicated LINUX / RaspberryPI emulator would be beneficial to this forum. Midwan is doing exceptional work on Amiberry and it really does deserve it's own forum (just my opinion).
Thanks
Old 29 October 2023, 03:59   #2
giantclam

Quote:
dedicated LINUX / RaspberryPI emulator
That actually understates amiberry's platform compatibility ~ currently it runs on linux x86-64, Mac M1 and x86-64, and many SBCs based on the raspberrypi platform (rpi1/2/3/4/400/5), sun8i H2+/H3 (bananapi, orangepi), Odroid C1/XU4/N1/N2/Go, RockPro64, Vero 4k, Amlogic S905/S905X/S912/S905D3/S905X3/S905Y3 based boards, multiple RK3288 based boards, RK3588 ie; RockPi 5, La Frite/LePotato Libre, Nvidia Jetson Nano...plus a couple of cortex A9/A53 generic targets....and recently added (experimental) riscv64 build.....( I think that's all of them currently =)

I very much doubt a dedicated thread (support.amiberry) is warranted for this forum, just based on thread traffic...ie; in this forum you'll get 100 posts (or more, each) about fs-uae & winuae, for every one post about amiberry...(which I think is <1 post per month) ... it is what it is, but support.OtherUAE is really all that's 'warranted' imho.

Btw, a bugfix release of amiberry v5.6.2 is in the works.... =)
Old 05 November 2023, 00:40   #3
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

I agree that I underestimated Amiberry's capabilities, however it is a dedicated emulator to many platforms.
Trawling through posts just to find out about updates or news on Amiberry can be a PITA.

When you consider that Win-uae, FS-uae and WinFellow get thier own catagories it should not be too much to ask for a dedicated support forum for this emulator.

For one thing, midwan could make announcements about updates in the same way that Toni and Frode do. Plus the relevant sub-catagories could add information about the various operating systems support and improvements.

Just my two cents. That's what we are here for.

NB: Thanks for the news about the v5.6.2 update. Where else could I get that info?
Old 05 November 2023, 01:14   #4
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiisoldier View Post
NB: Thanks for the news about the v5.6.2 update. Where else could I get that info?

The amiberry github repo....
Old 05 November 2023, 01:34   #5
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

Thanks.
Old 05 November 2023, 05:55   #6
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiisoldier View Post
I agree that I underestimated Amiberry's capabilities, however it is a dedicated emulator to many platforms.
Trawling through posts just to find out about updates or news on Amiberry can be a PITA.

When you consider that Win-uae, FS-uae and WinFellow get thier own catagories it should not be too much to ask for a dedicated support forum for this emulator.

For one thing, midwan could make announcements about updates in the same way that Toni and Frode do. Plus the relevant sub-catagories could add information about the various operating systems support and improvements.
You must listen to U.F.Orb, you'll find it on YT ...'there is a third world, the world of subjective contents of thoughts' ...

... consider your thread here, to be a 'litmus test' ~ do you see any other amiberry users chiming in with a +1/me too to support what you propose? Nope .. instead the thread gets only one respondent, me ...who uses amiberry all the time ... so consider me to be 'pro-amiberry' ... and I'm saying there simply isn't the forum traffic to warrant a dedicated thread... now think, why would an amiberry fan/user say that?

It's because there'd be this 'support.amiberry' thread, with maybe 6 posts/year (and likely half of those got moved from support.OtherUAE =) Like it or not, the visual representation can/could make amiberry look like a barely used and unsupported Amiga emulator, and not very 'popular' so to speak... 'optics'.

...amiberry is very popular on small hardware (handhelds, rpi like powered devices, the A500 mini, etc etc), and that's the realm you'll find most amiberry chat, forums focusing on those machine types, on Discord, and other places like that --- this is saying, the EAB forum more revolves around the desktop computer domain, and wrt emulators as being suites of software that present themselves as 'desktop applications' -- amiberry is not quite there yet on linux (but close..), primarily because it cannot be deployed or installed system-wide yet, and this presents some hurdles when it come to desktop integration ...ie; one can't create a debian package of amiberry currently....

...on a couple of my debian bookworm systems, I have amiberry installed/setup, so I can start my browser and go to aminet/whdownload/anywhere like this, click on the diskimage or whd.lha (cue/iso..) and the title is launched by amiberry ...you can also double-click on such Amiga files to the same ends ~ default action is to open these files with amiberry....however I don't ever explain much on how to do it, as it's mostly a kludge to work around the fact amiberry can't be installed system-wide =) Oh, plus the v5.6.1 amiberry binary releases are broken on debian 12, and many folks would need compile amiberry from source...and it becomes, pffft!, nah...wait for the next amiberry..

Fact is, midwan does post here to announce new amiberry releases from time to time, it's how I was introduced to amiberry to begin TBH
Old 11 November 2023, 19:00   #7
midwan

Just for the record:
- Amiberry v5.6.2 includes a flatpak in the release, so it can now be installed as a package (especially useful on the SteamDeck, as that's the only way to install apps easily). The next step is to upload it to Flathub as well, so that it's available from there (and you can get updates from it automatically).
- The new release includes pre-compiled binaries for the last 3 Debian versions (currently Bookworm, Bullseye and Buster), as well as Manjaro. That should cover all cases

Regarding a special area in the Forum, I don't really mind either way. If it exists, I will use it - if not, that's still OK with me. I think that's more of a question towards what the users prefer.
Old 12 November 2023, 09:49   #8
Poison

+1 for dedicated support.Amiberry Forum.

And will there be a MacOS M1 binary for 5.6.2?
Old 12 November 2023, 23:21   #9
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
And will there be a MacOS M1 binary for 5.6.2?

It's in the releases area now (thanks to solskogen =)

https://github.com/BlitterStudio/ami...ses/tag/v5.6.2
Old 26 November 2023, 06:46   #10
giantclam

...teaser...

Old 26 November 2023, 10:58   #11
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I wouldn’t mind a dedicated area for it