English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 16 July 2020, 00:04   #221
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
That's really neat. I liked the usage of the debugger. I think I will try something like that to understand some demo effects I don't understand. Switching the buffers and trap bltsize.
Apart from the usual "clears" and "fills", you'd be suprised probably at how little the blitter really gets used (especially in my recent demos).. quite often to do things that are not exactly "visible" (ie.. to build bitplane pointers for each line of the screen etc..)
Old 16 July 2020, 01:20   #222
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Thanks for the video, interesting to see it in action.

So... Many... Blits...
Wow, no wonder it's slow. The game must be doing well over a hundred blits per frame! And that's just for the foreground tiles! That's not even counting the background, the clear blit or the sprites.

No HW scrolling of either layer, no HW sprites, no interleaved bitmaps, no nothing. Just a big bunch of blits!
Its erm.... shocking!!!!
Great work McGeezer on showing it!
Old 16 July 2020, 07:45   #223
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Seeing this, I think it's amazing that they even made it to 17 fps with this engine.

Wow.
Old 16 July 2020, 09:33   #224
aros-sg

I may remember wrong but I actually think sometimes (maybe a CRT thing) 17 fps looked better (or less bad) than 25 fps, because objects looked less ~"smeared/blended together" (previous 1/17 frame <-> current 1/17 frame) because the objects travelled more pixels between previous and current time (less overlapping in time).

Code:
xxx
     xxx
          xxx
vs:

Code:
xxx

xxx

xxx

Last edited by aros-sg; 16 July 2020 at 09:35. Reason: leading spaces
Old 05 August 2020, 12:13   #225
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Apart from the usual "clears" and "fills", you'd be suprised probably at how little the blitter really gets used (especially in my recent demos)..
But why is that in your case?
I use the Blitter like for everything except stuff that's in slow RAM.
Old 07 September 2020, 22:05   #226
DMWCashy

Hi All,
I have been trying out some methods to improve the speed of Xenon 2, though from my efforts so far 25fps seems the best we can hope to aim for, unless someone has some really neat trick up their sleeves.

Currently I am able to render the 4 colour background and 16 colour foreground tiles at the cost of half a frame. This is using a 2 plane full screen cookie cut for the background.

I had a look at using 5 bitplanes, which does reduce the load in half. However the colour palette needs to be doubled for this to work, and so removed the ability to define sprite colours (which i'm using for bullets and lasers) so a no go there.

As the tiles move at a very slow pace, I have the tile rendering down to a mere 3 scanlines of execution

So if anyone has any tricks, or ideas let me know.