English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 15 March 2003, 02:48   #1
oldpx

HOL's search function

Why isn't hol's search function accessible on all of the pages? A simple search box on every page might save us clicking on the logo to go back to the main page.

Old 15 March 2003, 13:09   #2
RCK
Administrator

already on my Todo list
Old 15 March 2003, 20:20   #3
RCK
Administrator

done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qfind.gif
Views:	369
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	4881  
Old 15 March 2003, 21:29   #4
oldpx

Great

Old 15 March 2003, 21:30   #5
oldpx

...but still not accessible from search result pages.

Old 16 March 2003, 00:11   #6
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
...but still not accessible from search result pages.
I know.
you wanna it ?

I think the get.list page is already overflood with links, no need to add more options there.
Old 16 March 2003, 01:41   #7
Konrad

I think you should add the search function to the "no games were found "-page :-). Don't like pushing the back button ;-).

Also, if I enter "The Great Giana" it doesn't find anything, but the game is listet "Great Giana Sisters, The". Logically it should appear in the search results.
Old 16 March 2003, 01:55   #8
oldpx

Quote:
you wanna it ?
I do

It's a very important navigation element but it's your decision after all.

Old 16 March 2003, 03:25   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Nobody can be bothered to hit the back button? (or in Opera, hit the Z key) Sheesh...
Old 16 March 2003, 03:37   #10
oldpx

Why should anyone?

Old 16 March 2003, 04:01   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Why should anyone?
Imagine all of a browser's buttons crammed onto each website's pages simply because a user can't be bothered to make a click. Aesthetics have to enter into play at some point and toss the user's laziness out the window.
Old 16 March 2003, 04:15   #12
oldpx

That doesn't make sense. Personally, I'd like to search games one after another. 100 game pages require 100 unnecessary backwards movement. I'm glad google doesn't think like you

Other things might be removed, like the contibutors on every page, or the large logo. A search box is more important than both.

Old 16 March 2003, 13:13   #13
RCK
Administrator

HOL updated.
Old 16 March 2003, 21:23   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Personally, I'd like to search games one after another. 100 game pages require 100 unnecessary backwards movement. I'm glad google doesn't think like you
You're right - that DOESN'T make sense.
1. The 'movements' are gonna be either clicking the back button or clicking into a search box...what's the difference? It sounds like a mouseclick diet to me.
2. Apparently Google DOES think like me, otherwise their search box would appear on every page they generate. The translate pages have no search box, nor do the Cached pages...if you use either feature, guess what...you have to completely waste your time on a backwards movement.
Old 16 March 2003, 22:05   #15
Konrad

Thanks alot RCK . I personally like it better this way.

I don't know if this is an configuration error of my IE6, but sometimes when I hit the back button it takes some time (can be up to 20secs) to load the previous page. That's getting on my nerves, especially if I'm searching for something.
Placing the search field also on the "no games were found "-page doesn't require me to hit the back button and wait for the previous page. Searching is much faster for me this way. And I don't think that it's much bandwidth wasting, right ?
Old 16 March 2003, 23:20   #16
oldpx

Quote:
You're right - that DOESN'T make sense.
1. The 'movements' are gonna be either clicking the back button or clicking into a search box...what's the difference? It sounds like a mouseclick diet to me.
2. Apparently Google DOES think like me, otherwise their search box would appear on every page they generate. The translate pages have no search box, nor do the Cached pages...if you use either feature, guess what...you have to completely waste your time on a backwards movement.
1.It's easier than clicking back and then clicking into a search box therefore rest of your pharagraph is wasted.

2.Translation pages are NOT the part of "google the search engine". They have a completely different goal therefore rest of your paragraph is wasted.

You're speaking to someone who has spent four years on a visual communication design program in the university. Search box is not unnecessary, your objection on the other hand, totally is.

Anything else?

Old 16 March 2003, 23:27   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Anything else?
I agree to disagree.