English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2008, 18:21   #61
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
There's AmigaOS fanatics and Amiga retro game fanatics, let's all let's get together in sweet harmony

I'm both of the above
Old 02 January 2008, 18:30   #62
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
As a moderator cant you start deleting obvious troll posts?
No, because I'm not a global moderator, only an "area" moderator and this isn't the sub-forum I moderate.

If I could do something about it I would, believe me
Old 02 January 2008, 18:41   #63
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I guess the so called "Anti OS4" posters (me too!!) have no problem with AmigaOS4 in general. But there is no official Mac version of it (probably never), only an illegal boot CD which "maybe" works someday.

We're talking here about an illegal operated OS of a currently saled product. This is still against the forum rules iirc.So what's the point of that?

Do proper threads about OS4 on a AmigaOne/Amiga 1200 PPC and all is fine imho.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 02 January 2008 at 18:56.
Old 02 January 2008, 19:00   #64
Graham Humphrey

But surely, that still doesn't justify the blatant trolling on this and the other thread?

By all means, feel free to post saying you don't like the idea of OS4 on the Mac (forget about the whole illegal/"hoax" thing for the moment). That's fair enough, but then I don't expect the thread to be hijacked calling people who don't agree idiots, fanatics, retards or whatever. Surely other people's views and interests should be respected, likewise if someone posted saying the same thing about you because you didn't think OS4 was a good idea, that wouldn't be tolerated either.

It's one thing to disagree with someone and have a proper debate and discussion about it, it's another thing entirely to hurl insults at them and disrupt the thread just because they have a different opinion.
Old 02 January 2008, 19:12   #65
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Requests about a Kickstart were closed in seconds and a thread about an illegal run of OS4 on a MAC not? THAT'S resent me, no double standard please!!
Old 02 January 2008, 19:18   #66
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Requests about a Kickstart were closed in seconds and a thread about an illegal run of OS4 on a MAC not? THAT'S resent me, no double standard please!!
this thread does not request the posting of the illegal mac-on-oS4-patch files.

Also, when the original "gift" was given, no information was known about its origin, or as to whether or not it contained copyrighted OS4 files. The distribution itself was swiftly removed from the Zone for safety anyway, and the discussion of the patch (or whatver you want to call it) should not remain a problem providing no one is linking to where to find it, or requests for it being made.
Old 02 January 2008, 19:22   #67
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

This thread is dragging on because someone has to have the last word.

It really shouldn't matter (really).
Old 02 January 2008, 19:28   #68
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
this thread does not request the posting of the illegal mac-on-oS4-patch files.

Also, when the original "gift" was given, no information was known about its origin, or as to whether or not it contained copyrighted OS4 files. The distribution itself was swiftly removed from the Zone for safety anyway, and the discussion of the patch (or whatver you want to call it) should not remain a problem providing no one is linking to where to find it, or requests for it being made.
Indeed, the origin of the iso was unknown when people started with their trolling.
Old 02 January 2008, 20:05   #69
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Hostility to stupidity.
Giving up a viable and robust OS with growing user base, popularity, and support for....

OS4???

Your question has been answered.
Fanatics should stick to Amiga.org and stay away from here.
Fred, I agree, AROS is the future, but we can still have some fun with OS4 in the mean time, right?

Quote:
EAB is a place of wonderful Amiga projects without a touch of retro nostalgia/feelings.
Long may that continue.

Quote:
Otherwise: Look what pure enthusiasts like Jens Schoenfeld/Oliver Achten have done for the Amiga/C-64 community. Compare it with the modern Amiga scene and cry.
Clone-A is an essential purchase for me, but I'm not sure what you're trying to imply by comparing pure enthusiasts vs. modern Amiga scene. Surely they are one and the same (excluding AInc)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ View Post
There's AmigaOS fanatics and Amiga retro game fanatics, let's all let's get together in sweet harmony

I'm both of the above
Amen!
Old 02 January 2008, 20:18   #70
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Clone-A is an essential purchase for me, but I'm not sure what you're trying to imply by comparing pure enthusiasts vs. modern Amiga scene. Surely they are one and the same (excluding AInc)?
Well... their useful hardware is available (for fair prices) and enhances/improves the classic machines in a never imagineable way. No whining, moaning or trashtalk. They kept all of their promises.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 02 January 2008 at 20:36.
Old 02 January 2008, 21:32   #71
DamienD
Banned

Hey guys,

Things seem to be getting slightly out of hand... I really don't won't close the thread though. Discussion is allowed of course, just no uploads of the .ISO and probably not a good idea to post instructions on how to get it working either. Let other well know Amiga forums do this kind of stuff if they so wish.

Please try to keep discussion relevant to the topic. It's pretty simple; those who want to be involved, post away. Those who don't have an interest, just ignore the thread...

Trolling / flaming / name calling posts from now on will be deleted without warning.
Old 03 January 2008, 02:44   #72
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I guess this message from Andrea Vallinotto should stop EVERY discussion of this thread topic.

Project Moana: Statement of the developer
In December a CD image was available which was supposed to make it possible using AmigaOS 4 on certain PowerPC models of the Mac mini supplied by Apple. At amigaworld.net the author of this CD, the AmigaOS 4 developer Andrea Vallinotto has warned to use or copy this CD which is based on Moana .

Quote:
"Regarding the thread about the project Moana files, I'd like to point out some facts that I would like to acknowledge as an AW.net moderator. First of all, I'm the author of said port, done over an year ago on behalf of ACube, you can contact me directly at email removed . In the thread I'm referring to, you (and others) are discussing the content of the CD, some even had it running on MacMinis. Such ISO image not only contains parts of OS4 (a commercial product) but also contain modules that are NOT part of either OS4 for A1 nor Classic, and are fully copyrighted by me. I never gave permission to anyone, least this AmigaMac guy, to distribute these files. So owning and using those modules is breaching my intellectual property (IP) and is a clear act of piracy. So unless Aw.net is a forum which allows and is favorable to piracy, I suggest you post a notice on said thread and stop discussing about it. You can quote this message if you want. As you probably have seen by the european lawsuit, between me, the two Friedens and against Hyperion and AInc, I'm more than willing to protect my IP from piracy or any other form of unauthorized use. For the record, that ISO image was obtained from a stolen laptop and there is a police report about that (in the USA). That AmigaMac guy is not some benefactor, he's a criminal. So far I hadn't written or posted anything because I didn't want to stir up more mess that it was already, and because the (micro) kernel on that ISO image will crash after few minutes of intensive use. But seeing one of the moderators of Aw.net happily displaying a list of stolen files seems an endorsement of piracy from AW.net. I can't let it pass."

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 03 January 2008 at 04:55.
Old 03 January 2008, 02:54   #73
HenryCase

Quote:
I guess this message from Andrea Vallinotto should stop EVERY discussion of this thread topic.
It is possible to discuss piracy without endorsing it. Nothing illegal has been done in this thread. However, it is clear to me now that EAB is not the place to have this discussion, so I hope the mods close the topic.
Old 03 January 2008, 03:43   #74
woody57

How about some perspective here ?

We ALL know that running the accepted PC emulator to WinUAE requires both a REAL COPY of Workbench upto3.1 & KICKSTART images.

Then we had a dispute when the somewhat "Controversial " AMIKIT frontend came along to allow legal owners of OS 3.9 to {with WINuae of course } run this on a common PC.

IT seems that the running of OS4 directly on a different platform NON PC creates a cloud of mis-information & resentment why ?

Many have pointed that the axe to grind classic workbench zealot's are responsible for remaining entrenched in the abandonment issue of non -backwards compatability OS 4.0 represents

If there is to be any growth of interest in this version then crying about it being used for real NOT within the EMU bubble is a slap in the face for those independant hardware projects that are trying to create an alternative to the Amiga One project for which the OS was intended for.

We should all forget the politics that Amiga Inc has dug itself into & accept that this is just part of the history of an orphaned OS that still remains largely underused & developed for ....whether that is as a hobby issue or a distant commercial venture { as if ? }

Maybe this thread is mistimed that comes TOO soon as it is clear the patch to allow useage for Mac is already a legal issue is progress ?

However IF a legal patch were available then why should there be any problem ??

That I believe is the REAL topic of this thread so please some of you please try to get out out 0f the backwards compatibilty rut & stop jumping on anything that suguests change's are possibe .............

THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM BLOODY COMPULSORY

Kindly remember that
Old 03 January 2008, 20:01   #75
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

FWIW: Unexpected as it may seem, I wholly agree with Woody57's comments.

To clarify:
Classic Amiga & it's continued support + development:- Good.
Modern Amiga-like OS's (inc OS4) & their continued support + development:- Good.

All the usual 'Amiga-related' rumors, politics, and B.S. that go with the above:- Not Good.

Speaking for myself my comments have been an attempt to find humor in an unhappy situation whilst expressing my feelings on the 'Not Good' aspect(s) of this topic.

My apologies if I've contributed to the general 'unhappiness'.

I'll make no further public comment until I hopefully have a legit copy of OS4 running on one of my current computers.
Old 04 January 2008, 02:47   #76
ant512

I've got no interest at all in the AmigaONE or its associated, weird-ass, underpowered hardware brethren. However, I *do* have a 1.42GHz PPC Mac Mini that's doing nothing but functioning as an iTunes server at the moment.

Amiga Inc! Hyperion! Assorted developers of AmigaOS4! I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and you aren't going to see any of it unless you allow me to run the operating system on alternative hardware. Is this such a difficult concept? You give software. I give money. No hardware, no money.
Old 04 January 2008, 22:36   #77
vanfanel

THE SAME is true for me, ant512:

I have a nice MAC MINI G4 1.42 Ghz that's currently being used as a Linux-abstracted Amiga emulator for FREE, I didn't give an euro for the OS since I already paid it with my AMIGA 1200. I have kept some of my christmas money for a copy of AMIGA OS 4.0: you want my money? Then give me the possibility of running it on my own hardware: I WON'T pay for an UNDER-POWERED, faulty, shot-lived piece of junk like A1.
No possibility = No money, and I'll keep on using my nice & emulated OS 3.5 on the MAC MINI anyway: I use a minimal Gentoo configuration that boots in ten seconds into 3.5, anyway.

Old 06 January 2008, 12:29   #78
derringer

About piracy of moana: maybe it is illegal if you take the bootloader, and the copy of os4 (a1 version?) and use your mac as an amiga. But if you buy the classic version where is the piracy? Ok the licence says this and that, but the author (hyperion) has got the money!!!
If somebody thinks that os4 is his/her own product go for the court.

Anyway, is anybody has booted os4 in a mac or just the bootloader works?
Old 06 January 2008, 20:58   #79
paranoid
Phone Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by derringer View Post
About piracy of moana: maybe it is illegal if you take the bootloader, and the copy of os4 (a1 version?) and use your mac as an amiga. But if you buy the classic version where is the piracy? Ok the licence says this and that, but the author (hyperion) has got the money!!!
If somebody thinks that os4 is his/her own product go for the court.

Anyway, is anybody has booted os4 in a mac or just the bootloader works?
As I understand it, the bootloader is pirated. Even if you owned OS4 legally, other parts of the bootloader are copyrighted and illegal to distribute.
Old 24 April 2008, 23:38   #80
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Any news on the subject?