Global Moderator

Yeah already sussed that

Believe it or not I can train games :P
Old 20 May 2006, 20:39   #82
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
what you have to remember is that peoples attitudes change. What was once cool then for some isn't so cool now. Some of them have buried their Amiga past with their Amigas and for them it was no more than a distraction for a few years before they moved on and did something else.
heh Yeah, it happens. Many people were in it for the laugh and I've seen countless swappers just go off and get into something else.

Sadly the passion that some of us had doesn't stay there for life.
Old 20 May 2006, 20:49   #83
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think the interest is generally lost...

until they see or fire up the amiga again or winuae.. then the nostalgia comes back and grabs you by the balls.. . hooked again!
Old 21 May 2006, 17:24   #84
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
what you have to remember is that peoples attitudes change. What was once cool then for some isn't so cool now.
Yup, you definately got the attitude change bit right. I occasionally hover around the active PC/Amiga demoscene sites checking out the latest prods and there is still talent out there but unfortunately this is also twinned with a bad 'leet' attitude in a lot of cases. Shame really.

Or maybe it's just me getting older and more cynical?

Last edited by DaZZaBoY; 21 May 2006 at 21:01.
Old 21 May 2006, 18:12   #85
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

The PC demoscene has always been full of elitist knobs, I hated it.
Old 21 May 2006, 21:04   #86
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

One example of this is Boondocks. I've recently been kicked off the forums for basically arguing with the admin and leets on there.

There's me thinking forums were an open platform for personal opinion and input, apparantly not in this case. lol

Leets suck!
Old 22 May 2006, 07:52   #87
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Really? I've always found Sal-One to be an excellent bloke, what did you do? heh
Old 22 May 2006, 23:37   #88
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

I was basically asking for permission to use a font pack (which was created by one of the Bdock admins) for vol#1 of our newsletter and I kinda got a little impatient when I didn't receive a reply. Long story short.. i wasn't exactly impressed with answers I did eventually receive and I let rip in the forum - hence me getting the boot.

Wasn't bothered tho.

I spoke to Sal a long while ago and he was fine. He didn't have anything to do with my eviction btw. lol
Old 23 May 2006, 19:37   #89
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Genuine site update this time, heh... Someone has informed me the Lemonium disks by Lemon. were not downloading. Somehow I didn't upload them What a fool.

Anyway, they are online now for those that want them...
Old 26 May 2006, 11:21   #90
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Trev, didn't any of your Majic packs have that Shitstream intro on?
Old 26 May 2006, 11:34   #91
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Did a brief search but to no avail, sorry dude.
Old 02 December 2006, 14:11   #92
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Hey MM,

Haven't been around these parts for a while so only just sniffed out your Tesko page.. good to see the old prods online. WinUAE on standby
Old 02 December 2006, 16:35   #93
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Good stuff mate, not been around much myself, been all over with holidays and work. It's bloody good to be home, in rainy England heh
Old 02 December 2006, 17:51   #94
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Got a few of your Tesko prods in our PD d'base but always on the look out for more old UK scene stuff. Have a peep in our scene area and see if you can help us out m8. I'm sure your accounts still open at our place?

Cheers
Old 02 December 2006, 17:52   #95
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Yeah, it should still be active dude
Old 01 May 2007, 01:04   #96
Birdy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajicMushroom

The whole Unity thing didn't do good for Ipec Elite, they split up after not getting into the Unity movement. I was blamed for that also, but I have spoken at length with Birdy several times about this and was told Unity was only the straw that broke the camels back - Ipec were on their arse, even if the rest of the scene didn't know it.
Lol - hi guys - sorry for resurrecting this old thread but ive only just seen it. Lol - finger on the pulse as always - Majic - how are you mate? - long long time since ive seen you - im guessing 15 years or so?

Reading everything on here has, as some of you guys have said, made me soooo nostalgic. he he. 18 years old, hot headed, full of sh1t. We all were in those days werent we?. No wonder there were so many inter-group rivalrys and no wonder some of them resulted in blows being swung. Thing is, my passion for demos never went away and im still an avid downloader of party releases like breakpoint and the gathering. It just goes to show at 36 years old, what we had in those days with the "scene" was pretty life shaping and i still love them today.

With regards to Ipec, there were a number of reasons that it went under in 1991. The main reason was that it was always a struggle to put the time and effort needed into pushing the group forward. I remember one demo, where Clarky did the code, I did the Gfx and Jon did the music, just 3 members of the group. I remember we all had girlfriends (as you do at 18) but some girlfriends were more understanding than others and let us p1ss about on our amigas more. The other balls up was instigated by myself as the manager (god that sounds so self important now - lol). I thought it would be a good idea to form a co-op with Relay , a relatively unknown group at the time whom most of Ipec had become good friends and drinking buddies with. On the face of it, we should have stayed on our own. Then i had the other drama of Drokk and Anarchy getting a bit of a sad on with me for releasing one of their pre-alpha demos on my Swamp Donkey packs. Long story , suffice to say in my defence your honour, i had been given permission to release by the coder. lol. This all sounds pathetic now, but bringing back memories as i type this.

I left the scene in 1991 after that almighty copy party in Sheffield (was it digital or anarchy?) - cant remember. If you remember Majic - i joined the army. Im still in.......lol - 16 years later. Dont think many of Ipec Elite would have believed that then!. Clarky is doing well and still in the games industry (last time I spoke to him about 6 months back) - im off to download some more majic packs and reminis

Sorry to go on, but im getting on a bit now, you know how it is

Old 01 May 2007, 13:49   #97
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Hi Birdy! I think we used to be contacts. I recall more than one conversation discussing the wonderful music of New Order. Shame about the last album.....

The stuff people are doing with the PC now is amazing. Great to see that people are still bothered. Even better to see the continuity from the old Amiga scene with groups like Rebels and Fairlight still going strong.

I recall it being very difficult trying to enlarge a small group. It was a risky process. Do you stay small and respected? Or expand and risk recruiting shitheads who'd ruin your good name? Any group could find members, the challenge was getting good ones. We made a few mistakes along the way (Anyone remember Zarchy? ), but it was a rare group indeed who didn't.

Anthrox made the first steps by swallowing a couple of groups of similar size and going from there. We also did pretty well out of the collapse of THR (TDK, Ride and Yobbo).

I had to fight hand-over-fist to get certain members in. I remember having to promise the earth to Yobbo, Retaliator and Thrash and then really crossing my fingers that we'd, somehow, be able to deliver!

Once you had an excellent coder, musician and gfx artist or two, recruiting got a lot easier.

But, as a rule, we'd only recruit people who we got on with very well. The only problems we had came when we didn't.

Of course, once you've got the members you need to get them talking! One of the things I think we were really good at in Anthrox.

Last edited by Mungo; 01 May 2007 at 14:03.
Old 01 May 2007, 22:29   #98
Birdy1

Hi Mungo - we certainly were contacts. My god, remember when we used to stick sellotape over the stamps , then rub off the postmark when recieved and use the same jiffy bag for our sends over and over again until the bag fell to bits? - lmao! - I think Royal Mail wised up to that little scam though didnt it?

Its nice to see the old names coming back on the scene, like equinoxe, and the ones that never went away such as paradox, fairlight and the rest. DAXX does some awesome remixes of Amiga demo tunes as well which keeps me happy.

At the end of the day though Mungo, and i guess you'd agree, the scene in our day was cool. It kept us all off the streets for a start, gave us something to be artistic in , competitive in and above all was bloody fun!.

Miss those days!......... sighs - he he

P.S - if anyone out there has an ADF of an Ipec Elite Slideshow called Visions of Soliloquy (the slideshow itself not the intro) that was released in 1991 please pm me - thanks

Old 02 May 2007, 11:40   #99
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Ayup Birdy mate

Aye, it has indeed been a while. Last time I saw you was the Digital Party in Rotherham, October 1991.

Good to see the old guys bobbing back in every now and then. I bet you can't believe Mungo and I are actually talking, and not throwing pint glasses at each other

Speaking of which..... Did anyone ever get round to organising a bit of a get together or what?
Old 02 May 2007, 14:06   #100
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy1
My god, remember when we used to stick sellotape over the stamps , then rub off the postmark when recieved and use the same jiffy bag for our sends over and over again until the bag fell to bits? - lmao! - I think Royal Mail wised up to that little scam though didnt it?
The 3M scotch tape always used to be best for that. The matt finish wasn't as visible.

But Royal Mail certainly did get wise to it. They started slapping huge warning notices on my parcels, threatening me with nasty fines and knocking on the door asking for excess postage charges. Cue mass phone-calls to contacts......

Mind you, I was sending/receving a lot of packages, so I must have stood out like a sore thumb. Had something like 70 odd contacts at the height of my mail trading days. Pity my poor, overworked copy slave

Used to love seeing all those parcels on the floor. Was even better if the postie gave you a chunk of them done up with elastic bands. Long letters from foreign contacts were always a real highlight too.

Having said that, the mail-trading was one of the first things to fall by the wayside when I reduced my scene activity (I probably still owe a stack of people disks to this very day). Having a modem (2400! Woooh!) didn't exactly help this either.

Shame there isn't a 'taped stamps' blag you can use for bandwidth.....

Yeah, the scene was cool. Certainly something that could never be repeated. At least not in the same way. I mean what on earth would be the point of mail-trading now that we have the lovely Internet? And I wonder how many people would be so willing to pick up the phone now that we have Email?

@MM - I think that thread died a bit of a death. I'd be up for a small get together. All depends on the date and location really.

Maybe best to colonise a pub somewhere for an afternoon/evening/night?

@Mods - Any chance of getting the 1 off of Birdy's username? He's the original article so should, in all fairness, have his original scene-name.

Last edited by Mungo; 02 May 2007 at 14:12.