English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 September 2017, 16:35   #21
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Excellent work Akira, very groovy Tracks, will be playing them while designing the other levels (thanks Bastich)
They're not finished yet! Handle with care :P And thanks! Your gfx look great too.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 September 2017, 14:22   #22
Bastich

New update inculdes:
- New music
- New levels with extended setup params for music, intro text, backgrounds etc
- New NME targeting routines (actually aim ahead of you now and not where you were, much harder but does need accuracy reduction particularly for earlier levels)
- Coin collection from NME ground / assembly targets (the total amount collected is displayed by the yellow text, will be used to buy upgrades as not all will be available to start with)
- Updated NME flight paths. They now use splines to smooth things out.
- Yer I know the turrets need 2 separate shots so as to match the dual guns (working on them and other turrets ATM)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 September 2017, 20:48   #23
vulture

I like it! Seems like a genuinely fun game!
Old 30 September 2017, 17:53   #24
Bastich

A couple of level setups using Tiled (great utility and saved me coding a level editor).

Click image for larger version

Name:	l1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	54825

Click image for larger version

Name:	l2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	54826
Old 22 October 2017, 09:21   #25
Bastich

Development still in progress, just slowed due to lounge renovation and work (MD5 DX11 implementation).

Level layout is still progressing. Currently first 3 levels (3 stages per level) have been completed. Just need testing and a graphics update.
Old 13 December 2017, 15:54   #26
Bastich

Latest build
Includes Level 1 with all 3 sub levels / stages.
Many new features and fixes including:
- Basic Shop
- Checkpoints
- Animated enemy

Music and Tileset have not changed just yet but soonish

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 December 2017, 16:49   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... that looks seriously good! Also a seriously good use of Tiled, I had no idea you could do things like this with it.

IMO the "entering level BLA" text needs to leave the screen basically at the same speed as it comes in, it seems sluggish with the throttle that it now has Love the look of it though, gives me a wave of nostalgia remembering all the cracktros with a similar effect and color scheme.
Old 15 December 2017, 17:14   #28
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
... that looks seriously good!
Thanks It's only going to get better

Quote:
Also a seriously good use of Tiled, I had no idea you could do things like this with it.
With a bit of scaling and few layers of parallax some great effects can be achieved Tiled is a wonderful utility. I use it to setup all the attack waves and everything else on the levels. Plus it saved me from coding my own editor which can be a real pain / project killer.

Quote:
IMO the "entering level BLA" text needs to leave the screen basically at the same speed as it comes in, it seems sluggish with the throttle that it now has
Totally agree I was thinking the same thing the other night Modifying it right now.

Last edited by Bastich; 15 December 2017 at 17:30.
Old 16 December 2017, 04:34   #29
Marchie

Looks awesome.

Excuse the idiot question, but what platform is this on (looks lik OS4)?
Old 16 December 2017, 09:10   #30
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
The first post mentions Steam Direct, so it is likely to be for Windows and maybe other platforms (but not any Amiga I believe).
Old 16 December 2017, 11:07   #31
Bastich

Primarily it will be a Windows / Stream release but there is a small possibility of Android and Switch ports
Old 04 January 2018, 01:23   #32
Bastich

Update information - There has been a ton of background updates applied to Iridium in the last month.

Parallax background - Tile sizes have been normalised so that the back most layer fills the screen properly rather than cutting off at the edges. This was not very noticeable as I had previously hidden any issues with the existing 'Tiled' based levels. With the new update the layer which the player operates over is 4% larger. Its barley even noticeable but makes the background layers much more configurable.

Turrets, Mines and Launchers - These are now directly linked between the 'Tiled' TMX file and multiple database files. What this means is that new variants can be created directly in the data files without the need to modify the C/C++ code directly. The only real limit is the current behaviour modes and the available graphic slots, both of which can be modified or expanded very easily. Definitely adding rockets (think scramble)

NME paths - Are now loaded into a spline class which adds minimal overhead but smooths out all the movement and makes it all flow much better. I have also implemented looped paths which have a limited number of NME ships attached to them. Unlike the original none looped paths which basically have an unlimited supply of NME craft. Both serve a different purpose and can be fully configured in 'Tiled' which should make level configuration easy.

Shop - Still in a very basic form and wanting some serious attention but other than a few omissions and a duff out rigger configuration works as expected. The amount of money and upgrade credits needs balancing but that will have to wait until I have a more solid selection of levels.

Levels - Each level consists of 3 stages / sub levels. The first 3 levels and sub stages are all in in varying degrees of completeness. I am mostly happy with the level layouts I have but they do need a lot of detail adding (splines etc, particularly level 3). That still levels at least another 3 levels to build (I have rough paper plans) but fingers crossed at least the initial layouts will be done in the next couple of months.

There are currently:
  • 3 Levels each consisting of 3 sub levels and a shop visit
  • 20 types of turrets including: Single, Double, Triple shot 360 degree tracking turrets as well as the more traditional fixed angle up, down, left, right varieties.
  • 9 types of mines including: Homing, static and bash variants. These can also be made to orbit fixed or moving silos.
  • 3 types of homing missiles / launchers.
  • 14 spline based NME craft split over 4 types of ship and 2 asteroids

Currently I am updating the levels with new features offered by the most recent update (see above) as well as setting out one or more temporary large NME craft (assemblies made using current game assets including: reactors, turrets, silos etc) for each sub level.
Old 12 February 2018, 17:58   #33
Bastich

Update:

Slow progress recently due to work commitments / HTC Vive integration As well as a general engine (JEng5) update to the main project and associated libraries to build as native 64bit libs and exes. I have spent a good amount of time updating shaders to support environment mapping, bump mapping and plain old specular highlights

I have been updating my Tiled level setups which take quite a while (unfortunately they will need redoing when I get some new tile sets). Big updates for the first 3 levels (9 maps), mainly levels 1-3, 2-2, 2-3 and 3-2.

Invent recently teased some new tile sets which look great (as usual). Can't wait
Old 15 February 2018, 12:24   #34
Bastich

WOW nearly 12k views on this thread. That's a lot more than I was expecting

Iridium level setup for levels 3 and 4 nearly done now (6 more maps).

Here is a short video of some of the work that has been delaying me.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Bastich; 15 February 2018 at 13:01.
Old 24 February 2018, 17:48   #35
Bastich

[ Show youtube player ]

Here is a video of the initial radar replacement system I am trying out. Other than needing a graphics overhaul I think it works quite well as it means you can line up on upcoming targets etc much more easily.
Enemy ships, objects and obstacles (when I've added them) show up around the edges of the screen. The more transparent they are the further away they are. When they enter the screen the edge effect disappears. Critical systems (only reactors ATM) on the other had keep the overlaid effect which makes them much more obvious.
Old 24 February 2018, 18:02   #36
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
Enemy ships, objects and obstacles (when I've added them) show up around the edges of the screen. The more transparent they are the further away they are. When they enter the screen the edge effect disappears. Critical systems (only reactors ATM) on the other had keep the overlaid effect which makes them much more obvious.
Never even tried your awesome sounding remake / improvement but very nice features and thought involved from implementation
Old 03 March 2018, 19:01   #37
Bastich

Latest video update

Fixed colour addition (grr looking at you destblend)
New bigger glow effects.
Updated explosions and NME shots.
Updated upgrades system.
Modified rockets and missiles to be more spectacular and on a separate button.
Colour additive TMX layers added.
Updated the radar and critical system overlays.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Bastich; 04 March 2018 at 01:19.
Old 06 March 2018, 23:00   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yo. Will you quit it? I keep needing to mop the saliva over here.
Old 07 March 2018, 01:16   #39
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
Latest video update
i'm not so much into gaming, but this looks
it's running that way on a1200 + fast ram?
Old 07 March 2018, 01:24   #40
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i'm not so much into gaming, but this looks
it's running that way on a1200 + fast ram?
Sorry Windows + DX11.
When finished there may be an Android / Switch port.
AdSense AdSense