English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 December 2007, 13:48   #21
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
i'm going to use my toaster instead.
I'm sure DiscreetFX's global domination means you'll get a good price on one! Oh, you mean a bread one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade002
Yeah the issues can be sorted, but what i really meant was that you have to fuck about with so many other pieces of software before its secure, hence it being an annoyance.
I don't use any security software really so no issue here. The only thing that annoys me is installing the ten bazillion pieces of software I use for doing stuff. In Linux, the package manager makes it easy to batch install the lot or even customise the installation. In Windows a first-time install can be highly boring.

No experience with OSX so couldn't comment!

One day a super-OS will break through with the looks of OSX, the software library and ease of use of Windows and the security and openness of Linux/BSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade002
I will be getting hold of some proper software for it though soon because i "was" running PC-Cillin in 2006 that i bought from the shop, and it worked real nice and was kind of an all in one solution, but then i lent the CD to a fuckwitt ex-friend of mine because it allowed 2 other users to register themselves, and he lost the CD ( and no, he is not an ex friend because he lost the CD ), which was a problem for me, because i needed to re-install Windows due to the fact the Grub on Linux altered the boot sequence so much i couldn't boot Windows anymore. And with no CD, i was not going to fork out another $100 for the software.
Shit software exists for all platforms, not just Windows.

Get yourself a NAT router with some packet inspection, AVG free anti-virus and turn on the XP firewall if you're really paranoid. Oh, and have a coke and a smile
Old 19 December 2007, 15:51   #22
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Wow, what fucking spin. Never heard anything more ridiculous. Whatever it takes to sell a couple of units I suppose...
Thanx for the vote of confidence P-J.

Old 19 December 2007, 16:30   #23
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Thanx for the vote of confidence P-J.

No problem. I hope your customers enjoy reading that bullshit press release and both of them are happy with the product.
Old 19 December 2007, 18:10   #24
Pyromania

I'm sure they will love it. There lucky were even doing a Windows version at all. Supporting the customer is the priority though. Since they always get the Windows version included it's like getting two licenses for two different computers for the price of one. Not a bad deal really when you think about it. You hit the nail on the head P-J. Our little stab at Windows could be nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Here at DiscreetFX we use every operating system.
Old 19 December 2007, 21:06   #25
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
I know plenty of people who have Windows installed on their Mac natively or via virtualization. It's not switching, but it means you use both. You paid for a license after all

I know one person who switched from Mac to Windows too. He was told to buy a Mac by a zealot not realising that it just wasn't the tool for his job.

That was in days of PPC though. You have to abstract the hardware from the software now in order to have any sort of debate on the subject. Suggesting that a modern Mac is anything more than a well built, well designed and good looking x86 PC with a different operating system & BIOS is just wrong.

Perhaps you were referring the actual OS when you talked about switching?
Your post does nothing to refute my claim. It actually supports it
Old 19 December 2007, 21:07   #26
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

One day a super-OS will break through with the looks of OSX, the software library and ease of use of Windows and the security and openness of Linux/BSD

That's some funny shit dude.
Old 19 December 2007, 23:04   #27
Unch

Looks like Nova ripped you off. I've yet to see anything half decent produced by Aladdin. Do a search for Aladdin on Aminet to see what I mean.

If you were really serious about getting into low-end 3D then your money and time would be better invested working on a simple cross-platform editor for an existing, established open-source Raytracer.
Old 19 December 2007, 23:08   #28
Pyromania

Unch, the current version of Aladdin 4D will only be a template. We will be building and doing some major changes to the program. Also we wanted the Aladdin 4D brand and hope that the 18,000 user strong installed base might come back if we create a compelling upgrade for them. The current version lacks raytracing so that may be the reason some of the Aminet renders don't impress you.
Old 20 December 2007, 06:23   #29
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:

Shit software exists for all platforms, not just Windows.

Get yourself a NAT router with some packet inspection, AVG free anti-virus and turn on the XP firewall if you're really paranoid. Oh, and have a coke and a smile
Who's talking about shit software? Certainly not me ?? I actually really liked PC-Cillin, and my post had zero to do with it being shit. You seem to love adding extra elements to things that don't even exist, but oh well, that's just PJ

Yeah i have already tried all that software you are talking about.. blah blah blah.... And no i am not being paranoid!. I don't know how you get away with such minimal worries with XP, but in my part of the world ( and you may want consider things are different for people in different places ), if i don't use a firewall and a ton of other shit to keep my system protected, then it gets overrun with shit REAL QUICK !. and no i don't visit sites, or compromise myself in that way.

Its great that you never have drama's, but you are not me or the billions of other people on the planet. But i do understand your point

BTW - One free Virus Checker i found much better than AVG is Avast.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:36   #30
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I'm sure they will love it. There lucky were even doing a Windows version at all. Supporting the customer is the priority though. Since they always get the Windows version included it's like getting two licenses for two different computers for the price of one. Not a bad deal really when you think about it. You hit the nail on the head P-J. Our little stab at Windows could be nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Here at DiscreetFX we use every operating system.
At least you admit your press release is smoke and mirrors.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:36   #31
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post

That's some funny shit dude.
Believe it or not, that was a mistake. I did mean to say the ease of use of OSX.

But who's gonna believe me now?
Old 20 December 2007, 11:38   #32
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I believe you. Honest.
Old 20 December 2007, 22:49   #33
Unch

Quote:
Have you not heard of Amiga OS 5 then?