English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 May 2009, 23:50   #1
Franz Bazarov
Resident Mad Scientist

Is There a Way to Configure WinUAE as a Wrapper for an Amiga Program?

Is There a Way to Configure WinUAE as a Wrapper for an Amiga Program, so that when you click on a icon in Windows, an Amiga program can start immediately, without first going to the WinUAE configuration screen?

Thanks!
Old 13 May 2009, 23:52   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not sure if you mean that, but for each config you can set the 'Show GUI on startup' checkbox on the Miscellaneous window.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:47   #3
Franz Bazarov
Resident Mad Scientist

That sounds reasonable, for now, for my own use. I'll have to test it out, never tried that feature.

I think that that's about as good as we can do, considering that WinUAE is a program that must be installed, and sets Windows registry keys.

...however, upon further thought, what I'd really like to see is an Amiga program that starts in a virtual machine, disguised as a windows .exe executable. I know that this isn't possible yet.

I wonder if UAE (not WinUAE) could be used for this purpose.

I'm saying this because it would be cool to be able to program under the Amiga API, and create redistributable emulation-encapsulated Amiga programs, which could be run on any Windows PC, as though they were .exe files (requiring no registry settings).

Kind of like TCL/TK Starkits, but instead of bundling a TCL/TK interpreter along with a TCL/TK program (or set of programs in a virtual filesystem) and calling it with a .exe file, something along these lines would bundle the Amiga program with a small footprint Amiga emulator in the same fashion.

Anyone every try setting something like this up?
Old 14 May 2009, 07:13   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Bazarov View Post
I think that that's about as good as we can do, considering that WinUAE is a program that must be installed, and sets Windows registry keys.
Not true. You can create an empty file 'WinUAE.ini' in the same folder with WinUAE.exe and WinUAE will use it instead of the registry. You can also just put it on other PC or even a thumbdrive with the INI file and the registry won't be used at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Bazarov View Post
...however, upon further thought, what I'd really like to see is an Amiga program that starts in a virtual machine, disguised as a windows .exe executable. I know that this isn't possible yet.

I wonder if UAE (not WinUAE) could be used for this purpose.

I'm saying this because it would be cool to be able to program under the Amiga API, and create redistributable emulation-encapsulated Amiga programs, which could be run on any Windows PC, as though they were .exe files (requiring no registry settings).
There is one problem with that. You would have to put a kickstart image in the executable. Of course if you can do it without the image you could download the WinUAE source and put your code directly in there (and even remove any registry access).
Old 14 May 2009, 09:36   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Not possible yet? Then this one doesn't exist.