English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 12 June 2018, 17:14   #1
E-Penguin
Banana

Blitz and RTG?

I realise Blitz is really all about banging the hardware and CopLists and sprites and such, but should an intrepid developer want to branch out into the world of RTG, how might one go about it? Is it simply a case of using the OS graphics functions in Amiga mode?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 June 2018, 17:39   #2
Daedalus

Yep, pretty much. All the graphics library calls are available, but there are a lot of the built-in commands that can also be used on RTG systems. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell with the Blitz editor, but for example WBlit, BitmaptoWindow, WScroll and the other window graphics commands will all work well if you're doing relatively simple stuff, and obtaining the required details from system windows, screens etc. is relatively easy so you can still use the built-in commands for the rest of your program.

If AmiBlitz 3 is an option, I would recommend it. First, the editor highlights commands that bang the hardware in red, so for RTG you know to avoid any graphics operations that are so highlighted (non-graphics commands that are highlighted, e.g. joystick reading, will still work fine on classic hardware). And second, it comes with a number of graphics includes (e.g. dbl_display.include for an RTG-friendly double-buffered display and image.include for loading, saving, blitting and otherwise manipulating images), which give you a nice set of wrappers for the OS graphics routines, along with some other capabilities such as easily loading other image formats, scaling, blending, 24-bit support and so on. Of course, some of the operations like scaling will be quite slow, but it's available and comes with some simple examples.
Old 12 June 2018, 17:43   #3
E-Penguin
Banana

Nice, I'll give that a go as my next project. I might assume that anything with an RTG board has an FPU in it* so using AmiBlitz3 directly makes sense.

except my A500, which has an RTG board thanks to your zorro adaptor but no FPU on the ACA1221. Typical. Maybe I'll go shopping...
Old 12 June 2018, 17:50   #4
Daedalus

Hmmm, yep, you'll definitely need an FPU for the IDE unfortunately, and possibly for the executables produced too. Kinda annoying.

I did start my own little project a few years ago to backport the AB3 includes to Blitz 2.1. It hasn't gone beyond a few partial includes I needed for a particular program, and doesn't cover the graphics ones unfortunately. They make heavy use of some of the AB3 syntax changes, and of other includes, so it's a much bigger task than simply copying them over. Some day I'll get to it...
Old 17 June 2018, 01:10   #5
ExiE

FPU requirement makes BB3 lot less usable...
Old 11 July 2018, 00:56   #6
earok

I've been working on an update to the intro to Giana Sisters SE, it's not system friendly currently (uses InitCopList etc) but I can't see any reason why it couldn't be made entirely system friendly since it essentially just displays bitmaps and plays sounds.

The question I have is, assuming the user has an RTG card and an OCS machine - is there any way to display 256 colour bitmaps with just the built in Blitz (BB2) commands, or would I need to use special libraries for that?
Old 11 July 2018, 17:17   #7
Daedalus

I don't know if you consider the graphics.library calls in the built-in category, but using them would be the best option without using external libraries or AmiBlitz 3. Most of the built-in graphics commands like Blit bang the hardware directly, so simply won't work on anything other than the chipset the machine is fitted with.
Old 11 July 2018, 19:30   #8
idrougge

WBlit might work.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:38   #9
Daedalus

Yeah, WBlit is system friendly indeed, though there's no W-equivalent of BBlit or QBlit, which limits it somewhat. It really comes down to what and how exactly you need to draw the various objects.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:42   #10
earok

I shouldn't need to Blit (though that's handy to know!), it more or less just comes down to loading and fading graphics (a slide show, essentially). My question was more around being able to render 8 bitplane bitmaps on an OCS machine IF an RTG card was present, if that was possible in any way.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:22   #11
idrougge

It certainly is possible. Foundation was made in Blitz and runs on graphics cards.
Old 12 July 2018, 15:24   #12
Daedalus

Yep, so long as you use the OS it should be doable. Even handling 8 bitplane bitmaps can't be done on an OCS machine using the chipset, so you just need to avoid those commands. Having an RTG card in the system doesn't change that capability unfortunately.

From what I remember, Foundation uses the Mildred library, which offers lots of graphics functions that use the OS rather than bang the hardware directly. That's an extra command library, but is included with the Ultimate Blitz installation so you probably already have it installed and ready to go.
Old 12 July 2018, 19:09   #13
E-Penguin
Banana

Looks good
http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/blitz-...hives/mildred/
AdSense AdSense