English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 March 2011, 11:50   #1
Bloodwych

Does anyone miss.....

....the feeling and sound of handling and using Floppy disks?

The smell of a new Floppy, the sliding metal cover, the read/write tab. Peeling fresh labels, writing them out and ordering your disk collection.

The sound it made as you slotted it home into the Amiga. The sensation of pushing the disk into the drive with a single finger. The disk loading sounds...

Ok, it sounds like retro I admit, but it's true.

It just occurred to me now I really miss Floppy media. I don't feel the same about Tapes or Carts and CD/DVD/Flash disks just feel cold - they have no character. Installing things from Floppy to a hard drive felt great too.

Sure Floppies were slow, but they felt better somehow. Yes, I'm having a nostalgia morning.....
Old 07 March 2011, 12:03   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

Totally!!

I'm not posting anything else otherwise I'll get all teary-eyed!!
Old 07 March 2011, 12:09   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Receiving PD Floppy disks in the post was such fun and I used to really enjoy just savouring the moment of loading each one... downloading everything now is rather like opening all your Xmas presents in one go!
Old 07 March 2011, 12:12   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Not at all.

You people are mental.

They are evil things, BURNING EVIL.

Floppy disks should be forgotten as quickly as the erm... what was that thing again?
Old 07 March 2011, 12:14   #5
deicidal
Registered Insane

Nope, can't say I miss it at all.
Old 07 March 2011, 12:18   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Guess I would get a warm fuzzy feeling if I hold one again for a sec... and then remember how many of those little buggers failed me during the years
Old 07 March 2011, 12:24   #7
humble worm

Not at all! I had many problems with my Amiga (bought many many km from where I lived) because of damaged floppy drive . Everytime I heard strange loading sounds I was turning pale... Never again!!!
Old 07 March 2011, 12:34   #8
Djay
95th User

I still have a 50 box of new unbranded (tdk) disks which i use all the time so i dont really miss it...

also, when i got my A1200 i bought some new disks and the adf transfer kit, so i have a box of floppy games (although i now use WHDLoad now really), i am also starting a collection of my favourite Amiga games in boxes!

Last edited by Djay; 01 July 2011 at 21:29.
Old 07 March 2011, 12:58   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I don't miss floppy disks per se, I miss the expectancy of having a new game, wondering what the cracktro will be like, whether the game will be any good, who cracked it... obviously if it had a Hoodlum cracktro, you'd be hoping you could get another version from someone else!
Old 07 March 2011, 13:04   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, I miss the cracktros in PD games.
Old 07 March 2011, 13:40   #11
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I don't miss floppies at all. Even in 1990, I was hoping for something to replace them. Then it took 15 more bloody years for cheap flashdrives to finally do the trick. Whenever I have to use a real floppy again and see "read error", the days of loud swears and panicked screams come back to me.

Still, when I first saw 3.5" disks back in the 80's, I thought they were neat. They seemed like a huge improvement over the old disks. "Wow - they're so small! And they don't bend!" The multi-coloured squares reminded me of the computer "tapes" (plastic sqares) in the original Star Trek.

For a while, I had a bit of nostalgia for the 5¼" floppy - until I got a C64 again and tried loading something. Holy CRAP - loading on a C64 was slow. (even though it beat the hell out of tape loading... which was an improvement over card punches... which was an improvement over flicking switches... and so on)
Old 07 March 2011, 13:54   #12
BrooksterMax

I don't miss them as a way of storing and transferring data.

However I did love them back in the day, far faster than cassette! I really loved the transparent coloured disks that you got on some magazines - Amiga Format had a Uridium 2 demo on a green one. Lovely.

I used to spend a lot of time opening boxes of 10 disks and putting labels on them. Lots of writing Those were great memories. Why did I need so many blank disks? Yeah lots of Transwrite files honest!
Old 07 March 2011, 13:55   #13
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Yes, I miss the cracktros in PD games.
You didnt normally get cractros in PD games last time I checked.

Still I seem to find myself forced to still use the annoying flopppy things as slowly go through my collection.
Old 07 March 2011, 13:58   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

I miss them because PD games have no copy protection
Old 07 March 2011, 14:04   #15
musojon74

They were very cool. In fact I used one on the weekend to get that new Frontier version on to my hard drive. However the nastiest sound - which I will ALWAYS remember with dread - was that uniquely Amiga read error sound....2 different pitches, first normal the second a higher shorter tone. Aargh!
Old 07 March 2011, 14:12   #16
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
They were very cool. In fact I used one on the weekend to get that new Frontier version on to my hard drive. However the nastiest sound - which I will ALWAYS remember with dread - was that uniquely Amiga read error sound....2 different pitches, first normal the second a higher shorter tone. Aargh!
Very true, and the shuffling noise you used to get telling you the disks days where numbered and praying that you could get your data off it.
Old 07 March 2011, 14:31   #17
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Whilst I loathe the dam things when they decide to fail or think its time to cultivate mould I do like floppy disks
I can still clearly remember my first ever 3.5 disk from ST Format, the one with Rolling Ronny! I didnt even have an atari at that point in time lol.
Then over the years I got an amiga and more and more disks until I ended up with too many of the dam things. I still have thousands even after having a massive cull some years back.

Now I want new double density's which are impossible to find
Old 07 March 2011, 14:43   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

http://www.efunzine.com/efnz.php?a=k...f26ae3507b0c7f new, used formatted and not formatted
Old 07 March 2011, 15:26   #19
Christian
Zone Friend

Yeah, I miss them and know exactly what you mean.

Ok they were a bit slow, brittle, small, etc but compared to tapes - amazing

My fave floppy memory. Frontier had just come out. Living in Peckham at the time. Number 12 bus to Oxford Circus.

Walking to Oxford St HMV. Upstairs, massive amount of Amiga games and a whole row of Frontier. Buying it, looking at all the stuff in the box on the way home.

Getting in, and firing up the game.... schweep, brrr, brrr, brrr - Frontier time Awesome

Man.... I even miss the colour of them lol
Old 07 March 2011, 16:17   #20
Gordon
Settler

i miss them on coverdisks. used to love going home and them and see whats on there. regarding games, if it was 2 disks or less then fine. but more? I hated it. disk-swapping midgame was so annoying and i couldnt afford a hard drive back then.