English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2010, 22:21   #1
DH
Global Moderator

Does Anyone Recognise This Crack Intro

The full text says
Quote:
HERE IT IS FOLKS .. IT IS FINALLY HERE.... DRAGON'S LAIR II ESCAPE FROM SINGE'S CASTLE ! RELEASED BY JAMIE STARR AND OPTIMA MID OF NEW ORDER! CALL THE WORLD HEADQUARTERS AT AFTERWORLD (416)243-3499.... WORLD WIDE GREETINGS GO OUT TO THE FOLLOWING QUARTEX PARANIOMIA VISION FACTORY ORACLE TRILOGY TARKUS TEAM ACCUMULATORS DEFJAM/CCS AND BAMIGA SECTOR ONE !! NEW ORDER 1990! L8ER!................................................................... WELL CLICK THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON !!!
Jamie Starr joined Defjam in March 1990, he also joined Valhalla in the same year too, but they died quickly.

Quote:
The D-Coder,
connecting via mulder10.slip.yorku.ca,
using Mozilla/3.01Gold (Win95; I),
was here on Friday November 29 05:49:44 GMT 1996
leaving the message:
Original member of Defjam Canada, then Valhalla ... along
with Jamie Starr
From here http://zakalwe.fi/~shd/texts/imr/zgbook.htm

Any information regarding the group would be appreciated (Proof required)
Old 02 November 2010, 22:57   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Valhalla didn't die, they were absorbed into Skid Row.

I would say the intro is simply one put on by a group of spreaders, they are not a cracking group at all.

In the early days of Amiga, it was quite common for 'importers' of cracks to put their own intro onto someone elses crack as they would have been the ones responsible for downloading it from Europe and introducing the crack to Australia for instance, and would have mail traded the game on and probably sold the copies as well to lamers desperate to get their hands on the latest games.

This looks just like that kind of intro.

Jamie Starr was a spreader if I remember correctly, so would have been a good member for Defjam or Valhalla to have as they would have been responsible for ensuring their cracks were spread internationally.

Obviously once there was a proliferation of modems, this practice died out as Paradox, Fairlight, Skid Row, Crystal etc had dedicated members would ensure their versions were spread around so quickly, that no separate spreading group would be able to put their intro on anything.
Old 02 November 2010, 23:16   #3
DH
Global Moderator

Thanks for the info Galahad.

Yeah, your right regarding Valhalla, I was just repeating what was said regarding them through ExoticA.

So technically I should call it a Spread Intro rather than a crack intro? Impossible to say whether I can us that term or not, there appears to be only a few terms the TOSEC guys use regarding these Cracktros and Trainers etc.

I may just have to leave it as a 'Crack Intro'