English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 June 2018, 04:07   #21
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

LCD, enjoy the lag...
CRT is the only choice, preferably a 1081 or 1084(S).
Old 08 June 2018, 04:53   #22
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY View Post
I've got a Vampire II and never ever even thought of using HDMI output instead of my 1084s

I'm hoping that they continue support for CRT's in the future. The upcoming GOLD 3 core won't be supporting Amiga RGB out at all because of the AGA chipset included in the core. People are saying if you want to use RGB out then use GOLD 2. The problem with that is software and WHDLoad compatibility still needs to greatly improve with GOLD 2 and I'm hoping those improvements are not reserved for GOLD 3 only.
Old 08 June 2018, 06:52   #23
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
LCD, enjoy the lag...
CRT is the only choice, preferably a 1081 or 1084(S).
Give me a Trinitron TV over a old, clapped out Commodore monitor any day.
Old 13 June 2018, 12:15   #24
Thorham
Computer Nerd

CRT, but only because of the horrible LCD up scaling and refresh rate problems.
Old 13 June 2018, 13:32   #25
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

I’ve never noticed refresh rate issue. Cheap LCD?
Old 13 June 2018, 13:47   #26
meynaf
son of 68k

It seems LCD do not like fast moving things. Or maybe this is just automatic motion blur
Old 13 June 2018, 13:58   #27
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Give me a Trinitron TV over a old, clapped out Commodore monitor any day.
Trinitrons are great, however I always had problems with correct centering of the image when using RGB on my old Trinitron and all the other TV's I've tried.
No matter what, I always had a 1cm black bar on the right side of the screen, quite annoying.

In my defense, the 1081 and 1084S I have still have an excellent image quality.
Old 13 June 2018, 14:14   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Trinitrons are great, however I always had problems with correct centering of the image when using RGB on my old Trinitron and all the other TV's I've tried. No matter what, I always had a 1cm black bar on the right side of the screen, quite annoying.
This is a known problem with RGB connections. Some guys built their own RGB shifter for an adjustable image centering years ago. This is something useful, i wonder why you never find this in retro hardware shops.

https://translate.google.de/translat...-text=&act=url
Old 13 June 2018, 14:27   #29
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yeah, it's an essential piece of hardware if using a regular CRT.
I wish I'd have known about that back then.
Old 13 June 2018, 14:33   #30
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Don't blame the panel for any scaling issues that the signal processing circuits may have. Scaling can be done right and produce a really nice image on an LCD panel, but most people don't care much about that. Regarding refresh rate, some panels can go up to 240 Hz and with back light strobing added to that, you have really smooth moving images and almost no noticable refresh rate or latency issues. Granted, this is not something you get with your average LCD TV hooked up to an Amiga with a SCART cable..
Old 13 June 2018, 14:33   #31
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

whaaaat? is this a joke?? RGB is not something to support or not, it's just... Amiga... and AGA from HDMI is just like a graphic card... I mean, we already have WinUAE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
I'm hoping that they continue support for CRT's in the future. The upcoming GOLD 3 core won't be supporting Amiga RGB out at all because of the AGA chipset included in the core. People are saying if you want to use RGB out then use GOLD 2. The problem with that is software and WHDLoad compatibility still needs to greatly improve with GOLD 2 and I'm hoping those improvements are not reserved for GOLD 3 only.
Old 13 June 2018, 14:35   #32
Glen M

An interesting topic.

I have 2 main TVs that I use for my retro hobbies i.e. gaming and laserdiscs. TVs are a 50" Panasonic plasma and a 32" Toshiba rear projection CRT. For gaming I prefer the CRT rear projection with my consoles connected over a mixture of RGB-Scart, S-Video, Composite. For laserdisc (composite signal) I prefer the plasma as it give a noticeable cleaner picture than the CRT. Connecting a console to the plasma over composite just doesn't look right. I've ordered an RGB cable for my plasma to see if that makes the games look better as I'd like to have the CD32 in the living room.

Maybe my experience is one that the games look better on the sharper CRT in 4:3 whereas the laserdiscs look better with the softer image on the plasma in 16:9.
Old 13 June 2018, 14:45   #33
demolition
Unregistered User

My current 50" Panasonic plasma (ST50) as well as my previous 42" Panasonic plasma both had the image centered way too far to the left with RGB SCART, so you might want to consider getting/building the shifter circuit linked to above since you will probably see the same issue. In WB you can mostly get around it by setting the left border of the overscan area to the furthest right, but this obviously won't help with any games.
Old 13 June 2018, 15:03   #34
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

Enjoy some CRT from my blog: http://koney-scanlines.tumblr.com/tagged/crt
Old 13 June 2018, 18:14   #35
plasmab
Banned

I had a LG Flatron 19” and a Sony Trinitron 19” side by side for years. The Sony has two horrible horizontal lines where the mesh was suspended. Both took up waaaay to much desk space and they had horrible flicker .. they needed degaussed constantly. They got burned when I got 2 LCDs to replace them. Nasty things
Old 14 June 2018, 10:30   #36
AdvanceFollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Every time I connect one of my retro machines to a CRT I think "How could we look at this flickering crap" and move to a LCD instead =)

But then again, I am ultra sensitive to flickering as I have horrible migraines that gets triggered by it.

But yes, I know what you mean, it looks a lot better... Stupid brain =(
In addition to the headache-inducing flicker, CRT's also emit UV light and Beta rays, which can be harmful to your eyes, especially if you sit close to the screen. As we're growing older, we should protect our eyes so we can enjoy the hobby for decades to come. Flat panels are much less harmful to your eyes, especially if you turn down the brightness a bit.
Old 14 June 2018, 10:50   #37
Daedalus

I never really had a problem with the flicker of CRTs. I always found that running them at the rated refresh rate of the phosphors resulted in a much more enjoyable experience. Similar to how running an LCD panel at its native resolution is much more pleasing to the eye than a badly scaled, non-native resolution. For example, when I had a 1084S, I almost always ran it at 60Hz, since that's what the phosphors were designed for. Running it at 50Hz was a little flickery, so that only ever happened for games that needed 50Hz. Many screens of the time were similarly designed to run at both 50 and 60Hz, so would have had similar flicker when running at 50Hz. And newer monitors were often designed for 85Hz or above - running them at 50 or 60Hz was guaranteed to be flickery as a result, but running them at their "native" refresh rate never gave me any issues. I do miss my 21" Trinitron-type monitor - it ran 1600x1200 at 85Hz, was nicely colour calibrated with a range greatly exceeding LCDs of the time, and was awesome to use for many years. But it weighed about the same as I did, and I just couldn't justify digging around for another one to replace it when it died, so I moved to an IPS LCD then. Not quite as good in the colour stakes, but it's close enough, and the extra desk space is very welcome.
Old 14 June 2018, 20:32   #38
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I’ve never noticed refresh rate issue. Cheap LCD?
I think I read somewhere that many don't sync down to 50 Hertz. Perhaps not true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Don't blame the panel for any scaling issues that the signal processing circuits may have.
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing because the circuitry is part of the monitor
Old 16 June 2018, 12:09   #39
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Need to try and get myself a Sony PVM for my Laserdisc player

I forgot that I traded my A1200 for one of these BEASTS around 1995/96

[ Show youtube player ]

I got it to watch films from my Pioneer CLD-1750 laserdisc as it could display PAL and NTSC with an outstanding picture.
removed the tuner circuit from my VCR and I didnt have to pay for a TV licence, oh happy days!
Shame that guys one wasnt working, he should have tried to get it fixed.
Old 17 June 2018, 03:35   #40
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanceFollow View Post
In addition to the headache-inducing flicker, CRT's also emit UV light and Beta rays, which can be harmful to your eyes, especially if you sit close to the screen. As we're growing older, we should protect our eyes so we can enjoy the hobby for decades to come. Flat panels are much less harmful to your eyes, especially if you turn down the brightness a bit.
Flat panels, at least those with LED backlighting, can give you an overdosis of blue light which also doesn't seem healthy for your eyes or general wellness.

For Amigas, which we don't run for eight hours a day at work, radiation levels or flicker shouldn't be a great concern. I wouldn't want to use a 1084 as my screen at work, that's why we have TCO certifications (which the 1084 never received).