English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 22 October 2018, 03:12   #221
oscillik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
k, guys. please read the thread, i have mentioned the fact that boards will be available in the UK, same as the cherry switches.

The keycaps are basically part of a group buy and AOTL can feed UK distributors which will keep the cost down so the prices will not be insane.

Remember, it doesn't matter where you buy them from, you will pay taxes, either in the form of duties or VAT. they will get you!
Thanks for clarifying (it was confusing as AotL said they were the "exclusive worldwide retailer")!

With regards to the VAT, duties, taxes thing...shipping something from the Americas to the UK involves import fees and duties that add up to more than simple VAT, so yes — we'll still pay VAT, but that will still be better than paying import fees and duties.
oscillik is offline  
Old 22 October 2018, 03:37   #222
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
Thanks for clarifying (it was confusing as AotL said they were the "exclusive worldwide retailer")!

With regards to the VAT, duties, taxes thing...shipping something from the Americas (or anywhere else for that matter) to the UK involves import fees and duties that add up to more than simple VAT, so yes — we'll still pay VAT, but that will still be better than paying import fees and duties.
I am actually British, left UK when i was 23, the big difference is when you buy something in the UK the VAT is hidden in the price whereas whenever you buy from abroad it always hurts to see that extra 20% added on top and makes you feel bad.

Sometimes the customs people feel charitable and it skips through their processing fees. Postage fees from Canada are terrible and this is why i have pretty well given up selling things myself. shipping prices from USA worldwide are much fairer and TBH i hated telling people how much the costs were. So, for me it is better for the customer to buy from the USA and the UK (we will see what happens when Brexit comes into force and politicians start tit for tat crap)
kipper2k is offline  
Old 22 October 2018, 22:04   #223
Mick
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: England
Posts: 271
Anything that goes through customs usually ends up in the hands of Royal Mail and they charge an extra "handling fee" which I believe is daylight robbery. It feels like we're punished for ordering from anywhere outside the EU.
Mick is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 19:44   #224
Puggsy
Registered User

Puggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
There is no frame required, the sandwiched plates provide a lot of strength
How is this being tested? because this is my main problem with what you have done here, especially at the asked price.

I see no way PCBs can withstand the constant hammering a keyboard is subject to. This would need some serious A-level industrial testing to be ascertained.
Puggsy is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 20:00   #225
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
How is this being tested? because this is my main problem with what you have done here, especially at the asked price.

I see no way PCBs can withstand the constant hammering a keyboard is subject to. This would need some serious A-level industrial testing to be ascertained.
I see no way that you would accept my answer with that line of thinking, if you can find better pricing and solution i am sure the community and myself would love to hear it
kipper2k is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 20:16   #226
th4t1guy
Registered User
th4t1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 596
@kipper2k
I see you have a4000 planned for the future. Would there be a benefit to using one of these vs an adapter (aside from adapters being near impossible to find it seems)?
th4t1guy is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 20:25   #227
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
@kipper2k
I see you have a4000 planned for the future. Would there be a benefit to using one of these vs an adapter (aside from adapters being near impossible to find it seems)?

Hi, ATM there is no reason not to use either or. The planned a400 will be a direct replacement so it should retain the same cable and fit in the casing. I will take it apart and see what the options are. Keeping it "stock" is probably the best option but it may be possible to reuse parts like just a simple membrane replacement option which will be much cheaper than a MX replacement
kipper2k is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 22:09   #228
oscillik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
How is this being tested? because this is my main problem with what you have done here, especially at the asked price.

I see no way PCBs can withstand the constant hammering a keyboard is subject to. This would need some serious A-level industrial testing to be ascertained.
Loads of PC mechanical switch keyboards (including ones manufactured by Cherry themselves, and Das Keyboard) have been made with no metal back or faceplate, and with the switches mounted directly onto the PCB.

They withstand normal use. They of course do not withstand gamers punching their keyboards in anger.
oscillik is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 22:29   #229
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
Loads of PC mechanical switch keyboards (including ones manufactured by Cherry themselves, and Das Keyboard) have been made with no metal back or faceplate, and with the switches mounted directly onto the PCB.

They withstand normal use. They of course do not withstand gamers punching their keyboards in anger.
This dual plate and pcb board is just as strong as the original and also has a slot for a centre support post for those that slam the keyboard but for 99.9% of us it is fine. there are 96 keys helping to support the keyboard, i have done testing of this and am not worried, once i hand out samples to the testers they can provide their own feedback
kipper2k is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 22:46   #230
oscillik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
This dual plate and pcb board is just as strong as the original and also has a slot for a centre support post for those that slam the keyboard but for 99.9% of us it is fine. there are 96 keys helping to support the keyboard, i have done testing of this and am not worried, once i hand out samples to the testers they can provide their own feedback
As someone thoroughly entrenched in the PC keyboard enthusiast space (I think I've spent about £600 on keyboards so far…), I have absolutely no worries about your build quality.

I'm sure no-one here will be punching their Amigas. And if you do, we'll call the cops on you.
oscillik is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 23:45   #231
wobbly
Registered User
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
will there be an upgrade kit for the pi/usb ? or is the pi going to have its own version ?
wobbly is offline  
Old 23 October 2018, 23:58   #232
brett71
Registered User

brett71's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ames, IA, USA
Posts: 356
OK, I am definitely interested in a couple of A1200 keyboards, but have a couple of questions/concerns:

1. Are these only going to be available in kit form, i.e. the buyer must assemble, or will they be available pre-assembled? I know I saw something in this thread about them being sold as kits, but I have no soldering experience at all and would much prefer something I can just take out of the box and put straight into a machine.

2. In the A1200, the LED's are on a separate PCB. Just want to confirm that the A1200 version has space allowed for the original A1200 LED board or something like the BiFrost LED board. Does the LED PCB connect to the keyboard or direct to the motherboard on an A1200?

Thanks!
brett71 is offline  
Old 24 October 2018, 00:05   #233
kipper2k
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
OK, I am definitely interested in a couple of A1200 keyboards, but have a couple of questions/concerns:

1. Are these only going to be available in kit form, i.e. the buyer must assemble, or will they be available pre-assembled? I know I saw something in this thread about them being sold as kits, but I have no soldering experience at all and would much prefer something I can just take out of the box and put straight into a machine.

2. In the A1200, the LED's are on a separate PCB. Just want to confirm that the A1200 version has space allowed for the original A1200 LED board or something like the BiFrost LED board. Does the LED PCB connect to the keyboard or direct to the motherboard on an A1200?

Thanks!
Hi, There will be people who will assemble them for a small fee, they are not difficult.

You will still use your original little LED board in the A1200, the board will allow use in either a500 or 1200 by means of a breakoff tab. If you are using an a1200 you will break off the tab allowing the a1200 LED board to be unobstructed. your a1200 LED board will connect to the existing connector on the motherboard
kipper2k is offline  
Old 24 October 2018, 01:34   #234
Beska
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary/Canada
Posts: 22
Put me down for an A1000 one.
Beska is offline  
Old 24 October 2018, 07:26   #235
wobbly
Registered User
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
@kipper2k will there be an upgrade kit for the pi/usb ? or is the pi going to have its own version ? i would like to know so i can place my order thanks
wobbly is offline  
Old 24 October 2018, 12:17   #236
sokolovic
Registered User

sokolovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Marseille / France
Posts: 168
New case + new cherry KB + Vampire standalone = new amiga.
I hope some Amiga store an all-in-one pack.

Great work anyway
sokolovic is offline  
Old 29 October 2018, 02:22   #237
lmimmfn
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mullingar
Posts: 18
Thanks Kipper, much as i go on about open sourcing stuff i'm just really glad you made this happen( and i see now theres a black keys option for preorder too ), preordered.

This is pedantic, i know i can replace keys with whatever colour, but do you think its possible to have amiga keys in a different colour? im not that bothered but i would like to have the old dual colour scheme in black and red if at all possible.

Also on the wishlist is LED backlit keys , think of it, black case, keys and neon blue pulsing for the keyboard, haha

Last edited by lmimmfn; 29 October 2018 at 03:12.
lmimmfn is offline  
Old 29 October 2018, 05:06   #238
adonay
active amiga 1200 user
adonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Either Haugesund /Norway or Vaxjø Sweden
Posts: 206
Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Thanks Kipper, much as i go on about open sourcing stuff i'm just really glad you made this happen( and i see now theres a black keys option for preorder too ), preordered.

This is pedantic, i know i can replace keys with whatever colour, but do you think its possible to have amiga keys in a different colour? im not that bothered but i would like to have the old dual colour scheme in black and red if at all possible.

Also on the wishlist is LED backlit keys , think of it, black case, keys and neon blue pulsing for the keyboard, haha
I would also love to have Led backlit keys
adonay is offline  
Old 04 November 2018, 18:08   #239
Clad
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toulon, France
Posts: 11
I'm interested for at least one, possibly more, but one for sure.
Clad is offline  
Old 04 November 2018, 18:38   #240
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 45
Posts: 7,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Hi all,


Here are my Cherry MX keyboards for the Amiga, They will be sold by Amiga on the Lake and a distributor in the UK

All the info is here... These MX keyboards are designed as a total drop in keyboard replacement, not just part of it

http://www.kipper2k.com/cherrymx/cherrymx.html
Finding a supplier that can match the Amiga keyboard key sizes was some luck?
Galahad/FLT is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about A600 keyboards! hansel75 support.Hardware 4 01 November 2012 08:25
A1200, A600, A500+ and A500 maddoc666 MarketPlace 1 22 May 2011 10:11
A600 motherboards, cases and keyboards Nostromo MarketPlace 4 18 November 2010 09:48
A500 or A600 or A1200? emuola New to Emulation or Amiga scene 58 24 April 2009 00:43
Pre loved A500/A1200 keyboards Brass MarketPlace 0 10 November 2006 22:46

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.16184 seconds with 15 queries