English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 October 2018, 19:42   #41
Seiya

not in all games of course, but in many you can listen to this difference. it would be interesting to search that games that there are these limits more listenable
Old 21 October 2018, 19:53   #42
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Piracy, surely... In the UK every kid I knew played MI2 and loved it.
Cant be solely the reason, plus i never knew any pirate who had 11 disk games! 99% were 1 or 2 disks, i guess even the cost of 11 blank disks wasnt worth it to some back then

Plus i know adventure games were niche even in their heyday, but reading more, Lucasarts said they were happy when a game hit 100k at that time. Makes Lemmings 55k first day sales on the Amiga alone even more impressive!
Old 21 October 2018, 22:01   #43
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Therefore I don't understand how you can say the Space Quest II is OK but not the Police Quest, nor the King's Quest...
I merely forgot PQI-II and don't have experience with early King's Quests. They're probably equally decent compared to their PC counterparts.

Point being: Sierra's track record on Amiga was damn good all through the EGA era. Something I often forget, when trying to play the terrible Amiga versions of their later games.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:15   #44
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
PC Developers had no issue with telling players they needed to buy new hardware for there pc to get the full experience of the game. There was no real push to get players to upgrade there Amigas so the games were always made for the lowest configuration to the detriment of the game.

We were lucky that some developers took a chance that some Amiga owners had hard drives and that certainly makes those large adventure games more fun to play. The number of games that absolutely require a hd can be counted on one hand! There was no real push to upgrade cpu or memory unless you were into productivity. They certainly could have added midi options with no real effort to offer same sounds as pc versions should they be wanted (some sierra games do).

I do wonder if at least starting with the A1200 making the HD floppy standard would have helped us get more feature packed games that resemble their high end pc counterparts.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:28   #45
NovaCoder

You can actually play the other versions on your native AGA Amiga anyway so it's all good either way

Last edited by NovaCoder; 22 October 2018 at 02:38.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:58   #46
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
PC Developers had no issue with telling players they needed to buy new hardware for there pc to get the full experience of the game.
I see this "full experience of the game" more as a marketing stuff.
Simply the PC parts were "so ill-conceived" that asking for a change was normal... Really, I hated that period of perpetual equipment change... just bought, already expired.

"PC" is where it is today because it was spread inside companies, not because of gamers. The Amiga was not see as a Professional Computer () by the masses even with the help of the A1000, A2000, A3000 & A4000...
Old 22 October 2018, 14:06   #47
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Cant be solely the reason, plus i never knew any pirate who had 11 disk games! 99% were 1 or 2 disks, i guess even the cost of 11 blank disks wasnt worth it to some back then

Plus i know adventure games were niche even in their heyday, but reading more, Lucasarts said they were happy when a game hit 100k at that time. Makes Lemmings 55k first day sales on the Amiga alone even more impressive!
Honestly, the part about adventure games like that being more of a niche really surprises me. Not saying you're wrong! Just a surprise. As a kid with an Amiga 500+ (so what, like 90? ish) I knew another 4 Amiga uses who all played and loved the good adventure games.

And yes, including MI2 on pirate haha. A friend of a friend had access to a BBS for some pirated games, but most as i'm sure you know were hand-to-hand via word of mouth or copy parties. Including 11 disk games!

We all had MI2 on pirate (those i knew, i mean). There was even one that beat it i think? Was it beneath a steel sky?

The price of disks was dirt cheap. You could walk into a John Menzies and buy a pack of ten for what today would be a few quid iirc.

John
Old 22 October 2018, 15:05   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe in England point & click adventures were a niche. According to the old UK mags action games dominated that market. But in Germany it was huge. On all (sales and readers favorites) top lists games like Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, MI 1+2 or Indy III+IV were number one for month.
Old 22 October 2018, 15:59   #49
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Maybe in England point & click adventures were a niche. According to the old UK mags action games dominated that market. But in Germany it was huge. On all (sales and readers favorites) top lists games like Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, MI 1+2 or Indy III+IV were number one for month.
According to Amiga Power (UK magazine) in 1992 MI1 placed 4th in the top 100 games.

http://amr.abime.net/amr_amiga_power_top_100.php

Then again perhaps the monkey island series were a bit of an exception to the rule - i mean they were so enjoyable to play.

Also MI2 takes joint 2nd place with 96% in Amiga Formats highest scoring reviews. MI1 took 92% a year earlier.

http://amr.abime.net/top_scoring_reviews_4

(Btw this site is awesome!)

John

Last edited by project23; 22 October 2018 at 16:04.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:55   #50
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Favorite version of Monkey Island 1 was the PC-CD version mostly because of the awesome music (linky below), but the Amiga version is the next favorite. The music again just gets to me. Its a bit sluggish in the gameplay though from time to time.

There are also the talky re-releases... as much as I love the work the voice actor did for Monkey Island 3 and it's cartoony style, it just doesn't translate very well to the originals. Reading "Okay doggy... you're coming with me" right before Guybrush sticks a dog into his inner coat pocket is just a lot funnier compared to hearing a wimpy voice say it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 October 2018, 00:47   #51
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
this is true, the AMiga looked antialised but is because the type of the AMiga monitor used,1084s,philips CM8833
f you connect the microvitec 1438 , the Amiga pixels looks like a PC
Nope, even on a 1438, the Amiga graphics don't look like PC graphics. This is because the Amiga lowres screenmode causes scanlines, thereby shrinking the pixels. On a VGA lowres screen, there are no scanlines, so instead the pixels are twice as high as on Amiga.
Old 23 October 2018, 00:50   #52
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Sure, there are a few Sierra games worth playing and they got a little better as time went by. The trouble is that *none* of the games they converted in-house were optimised to make the most of the Amiga's abilities because PC was their core market from day 1 and the Amiga never really caught on in the U.S.
To be fair, Lucasfilm only started to make use of the Amiga's graphical capabilities when they started to have VGA as their lead platform. Before that, they made all their graphics for EGA – with its ridiculous 64 colour palette – as can be seen in Zak McKraken or Indy III where everyone has the healthy complexion of an English tourist after one week on Costa del Sol.
Old 23 October 2018, 00:56   #53
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
as can be seen in Zak McKraken or Indy III where everyone has the healthy complexion of an English tourist after one week on Costa del Sol.
Old 23 October 2018, 01:10   #54
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
To be fair, Lucasfilm only started to make use of the Amiga's graphical capabilities when they started to have VGA as their lead platform. Before that, they made all their graphics for EGA – with its ridiculous 64 colour palette – as can be seen in Zak McKraken or Indy III where everyone has the healthy complexion of an English tourist after one week on Costa del Sol.
Ridiculous yes (but then again all technical limitations are), yet with the power of dithering the Lucasarts artists did manage to do some cool stuff even under those limitations. I recently watched the postmortem on Loom on the GDC Youtube channel and there are some really interesting details shared in it.

[ Show youtube player ]

(around 28 minutes starts a section on graphics)
Old 23 October 2018, 01:49   #55
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Well, I wasn't just talking about the Amiga's graphical capabilities - Lucasfilm, for instance, made a concerted effort with sound on a fair few of their Ami conversions.

I think you're being a little unfair with your examples of Zak McKraken (CGA/EGA) and Indy III (CGA/EGA/VGA) also. They were converted during Lucasfilm's formative days (1988/89) on the Amiga when they were presumably learning the ins-and-outs of the platform (they dominated the 8-bit platforms, so weren't in a hurry to go 16-bit until the C64 started flagging in the U.S. market around 1988), so I think you can perhaps forgive them for not making the most of the Amiga's graphical capabilities until they'd done a few conversions first and, subsequently, began to hit their straps with games like Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour and Monkey Island in 1989/90. Fair enough - yeh?!

Sierra, on the other hand, didn't improve much over time (incidentally, they converted 40+ games in 6 years for the Amiga from 1986-92), and I'm sure it's predominantly because their in-house team didn't view Amiga conversions as a priority (and perhaps they were trading on their excellent reputation on the PC to help rack up Amiga sales also). If one was being really brutal in their assessment of Sierra's performance on the Amiga, they could be accused, on the face of it, of churning out Amiga conversions in the same manner and with the same intent as Probe or Tiertex did for our beloved machine.

Last edited by DrBong; 23 October 2018 at 06:36. Reason: Fixed sentences!
Old 23 October 2018, 02:35   #56
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
I do wonder if at least starting with the A1200 making the HD floppy standard would have helped us get more feature packed games that resemble their high end pc counterparts.
Missing HD floppy is IMHO the second biggest flaw of A1200 right after 4MB of FAST RAM or at least SIMM slot for it. And is it mostly never mentioned in the discussions. With properly working HD floppy (not like slow speed one in A4k) more games with all that fancy sounds and gfx could have been made on Amiga...
Old 23 October 2018, 05:21   #57
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
Missing HD floppy is IMHO the second biggest flaw of A1200 right after 4MB of FAST RAM or at least SIMM slot for it. And is it mostly never mentioned in the discussions. With properly working HD floppy (not like slow speed one in A4k) more games with all that fancy sounds and gfx could have been made on Amiga...

Or maybe by 1990 Commodore and game developers could have been convinced that this "new fad" of Hard Disk Drives in home computers was going to be around for a while and that casual consumers would expect that they'd be supported. I know, crazy.
Old 23 October 2018, 10:38   #58
sokolovic

That's a bit weird to take to most advanced PC configuration of that era and compare it to the lowest Amiga configuration at the same time.
The same things occurs with Wing Commander, the Amiga version is always compared with the PC one running on high end configuration.
Why does anyone one compare these games running on an Amiga 3000 with a HD ? Surely it wasn't the most common configuration among Amiga users but it was still an Amiga. And I guess the majority of Amiga users now have a machine that is on par with an A3000, or at least with an HD and some fast ram.
Old 23 October 2018, 12:42   #59
Seiya

many PC users at the Amiga time using an 8086 or 286 at 8/10 Mhz like Amiga or Atari ST. PC was very expensive, so not far all fast PC configuration.
Old 23 October 2018, 13:36   #60
sokolovic

Yes. But when people compare games of that era on both machines, they always take the best PC configuration available and the lowest Amiga one (because not many people had an Amiga 3000 with HD for gaming purpose in that time they said... but I don't think many people had 80486 + SVGA + soundblaster just for playing).
I remember having the same debate for Wing Commander, comparing the game on high end PC to the ECS version on a stock A600.
That a bit the same thing comparing the A500 with the X68000 or even the Falcon030 with the A1200 considering the Amigas were much more affordable (2x more expensive for the Falcon, 6x more expensive for the x68000).