English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 July 2005, 13:26   #1
glwxxx

Lightbulb WinUAE - Amiga startup menu is hard to access

I'm having problem to access the Amiga early startup menu when the WinUAE is started for the first time. The screen is switched to Amiga mode and this is maybe the cause why I cannot synchronize holding the left+right mouse button with Amiga... I am successful 1 out of 5 tries! Is it possible to add some WinUAE feature (hotkey, option) that will simulate holding the left+right mouse during the statrup so I can access the startup menu more easily please?

Old 28 July 2005, 14:20   #2
Bloodwych

I asked for this ages ago as I had the same problem when testing the ClassicWB:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=12521

Unfortunately, Toni didn't want to add the feature.

Great work on AmiKit by the way!
Old 28 July 2005, 14:31   #3
jmbattle

Yes, it would appear that WinUAE is *too* fast!

As you suggested an optional delay added to the kickstart bootstrap code would be quite useful for this purpose, oh well.

Lol, looks like the Amiga distro folks have too much time on their hands - all we need is Dary to post a response to this topic and we'd have the full set

Cheers,
James
Old 28 July 2005, 14:42   #4
thomas

Press F12, go to CPU page, choose "match A500 speed", click on Ok, press Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga, hold down both mouse buttons, when the menu appears, press F12 again and set it back to "fastest possible".

A boot delay is a *very* bad idea IMHO. One strength of WinUAE is its speed. Making it slower is making it worse.
Old 28 July 2005, 15:35   #5
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Great work on AmiKit by the way!
Thank you Bloodwych!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbattle
Lol, looks like the Amiga distro folks have too much time on their hands - all we need is Dary to post a response to this topic and we'd have the full set
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Press F12, go to CPU page, choose "match A500 speed", click on Ok, press Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga, hold down both mouse buttons, when the menu appears, press F12 again and set it back to "fastest possible".
Where do you get all these great ideas from Thomas? Thanks!

Old 28 July 2005, 21:58   #6
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas

A boot delay is a *very* bad idea IMHO. One strength of WinUAE is its speed. Making it slower is making it worse.
Can't agree with you there Thomas, as it would simply be a user-selectable option (check box) in order to add a two second delay to the reset button. The fact that there is practical use for such a feature can't mean it's bad.

People who don't want this minor pause simply don't put a check in the "Boot Delay" box or whatever Toni could choose to call it.

Surely it's better than messing around with changing the speed back and forth or enabling/disabling JIT every time????

Again if it's going to cause lots of work like Toni outlined in the previous thread, I can understand the reluctance of adding this feature, but not because it's going to make WinUAE worse for the addition of one extra user-selectable option.
Old 29 July 2005, 10:41   #7
Stig

I rarely use the boot menu to be honest, although I'm aware others might be more dependant on it. This feature is something that shouldn't hurt to have there "just in case", but it won't get my thumbs up as long as there's something more important to work onto.
Old 29 July 2005, 12:23   #8
xtc
Amiga lover

Send a message via MSN to xtc
There is a simple solution to this problem. You don't need ever the "Boot delay" option.
Tony has just to put near the reset button in the winuae control panel another button named "Enter BIOS Setup". All the things that this button has to do is a Reset + both mouse button pressed. The "twin pressure" is a simple software hack that simulate the pressure of both mouse buttons for, e.g., 10 seconds.

I think it a mere 5 minute work.

Bye!
Old 29 July 2005, 18:10   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Unfortunately all suggestions are not good enough...

1: Option to enter "bios" (blah) is confusing when using Kickstart 1.x or CD32 ROMs..

2: pressing ctrl+amiga+amiga may not reset the Amiga immediately if software set "reset-warning"-handler. It means software has max 10 seconds to do cleanup before forced hardware reset happens. (not yet emulated and not supported by all Amiga models)

3: adding short (1-2s) delay when reseting: makes OS3.x boot slower.. (setpatch does the second reset)
Old 29 July 2005, 20:11   #10
glwxxx

@Toni

Like I said, I'm fine with the solution provided by Thomas.

Old 29 July 2005, 21:44   #11
thomas

@Toni:
What about a new key which simulates Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga + both mouse buttons while you keep it pressed. So you can hold down this key until the menu appears. (Perhaps it should release Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga immediately but keep the mouse buttons pressed.)

You don't even need to assign a default key for that, just make it configurable on the Input tab for those who need it. I think this would be a real handy solution.
Old 29 July 2005, 23:34   #12
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc
There is a simple solution to this problem. You don't need ever the "Boot delay" option.
Tony has just to put near the reset button in the winuae control panel another button named "Enter BIOS Setup". All the things that this button has to do is a Reset + both mouse button pressed. The "twin pressure" is a simple software hack that simulate the pressure of both mouse buttons for, e.g., 10 seconds.

I think it a mere 5 minute work.
Bye!
It's not just for the startup menu (or bios??? ). Some of us have different boot options in our workbench startup-sequences so that when you depress the right or left mouse button upon boot you get different events happening - for instance, to go straight into shell or enter a non-picasso workbench. You can just about get the mouse down in time but it's hard! This is the case where workbench boots too fast!

So option 3 given by Toni:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
3: adding short (1-2s) delay when reseting: makes OS3.x boot slower.. (setpatch does the second reset)
Great idea! - will solve the above issue! This wouldn't affect anyone else as a user selectable check box/option (disabled as default).

As I said before however, it isn't an essential feature but thanks to all for discussing it again. Thomas, that is a good work around - assign a few keys for both, left or right mouse buttons on reset/boot.

Anyway, I promise not to mention it again! I love WinUAE!
Old 01 August 2005, 00:50   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
??

I might have understood the whole thread wrongly (yes, this happens quite often )

Yet I tested it.
- Started WinUAE, set A500 configuration, changed KS 1.3 ROM to 2.04, started emulation.
- Pressed both mouse buttons.
- With the mouse buttons KEEPING PRESSED, I press grey-Ins (w/forefinger) + grey-Home (w/middle finger) and AltGr (w/thumb), which invokes a reset; I release the keys, and still keep the two buttons pressed until the ...
- ... Boot Menu appears.

And you guys' problem is ...?
Old 01 August 2005, 03:07   #14
Stig

Am I the only one with a heavily expanded WinUAE config who can access the boot menu without problems using a stupid mental synchronization method?
Old 01 August 2005, 11:41   #15
thomas

@andreas:
Your method is not very convenient. First of all, you should not use an A500 config but the "sample expanded" config which has JIT enabled. Secondly, if you are used to work with real Amigas, you'd prefer to press Ctrl-Windows-Windows and then move the right hand to the mouse in order to press the mouse buttons. But for this to work, WinUAE is much too fast (or my hand is much too slow).
Old 02 August 2005, 10:42   #16
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
Heh, just hold the mouse over the keyboard in your right hand with both buttons firmly pressed, use your left hand to press ctrl and windows, and the thumb of the right hand for the other windows key. Works everytime, no matter how fast WinUAE is :P
Old 02 August 2005, 12:07   #17
glwxxx

first, I was talking about the first start of WinUAE... I need to enter Amiga early startup menu immediately after I press START in WinUAE, without any reseting or something... I am using some resident modules that could survive the reboot once they have loaded...

second, I'm NOT fine with the "gymnastic keyboard training" you have described to enter the menu anyway

Old 02 August 2005, 12:50   #18
amiga

@glwxxx:

it's NOT difficult to press both mouse buttons after u press start in winuae.
U're saying u can't ???
Old 02 August 2005, 14:36   #19
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
For what reason is the dying need to get to the amiga boot menu ? you can setup pretty much the same options within uae itself in regards to chipset config and what drives are mounted and even save that config for later. There are also several progs available that can be put in the startup script to end the boot sequance if need be at a key press.
Old 02 August 2005, 19:02   #20
glwxxx

@amiga
@Mad-Matt

unbelievable, I'm outta here