English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 October 2015, 14:21   #1801
TCD

The Interview

I think it's the most un-PC movie I've ever watched. The humour is way over the top, a lot of very wrong scenes and then there's a ridiculous 'showdown'. I love it
Old 07 October 2015, 21:11   #1802
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Addams Family 1 & 2.

I was feeling nostalgic!
Old 08 October 2015, 15:19   #1803
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Not yet sure how, I ended up watching 'Contact' again. I watched it when it came out, movie based on novel by late astrophysicist Carl Sagan. Sagan, who prompoted science and together with his wife made best science promotion TV show - Cosmos, portrayed issues with religion if we ever make contact with aliens.

With all anti-science movements in USA, no wonder this movie and his book and work were very important to this day, almost 20 years after his death.

Sadly, he never saw the movie release.

Jodie Foster and McConaughey played well in movie. Worth watching, if you haven't seen it yet. 8 out of 10.

Old 09 October 2015, 14:45   #1804
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Not a movie, but I'm really enjoying season 1 of Penny Dreadful.
Old 09 October 2015, 20:35   #1805
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Jodie Foster and McConaughey played well in movie. Worth watching, if you haven't seen it yet. 8 out of 10.

Yeah I don't get the hate for the movie, except for some cheesy plot twists. I enjoy it a lot, its one of those movies where I can sort of believe that it would actually play out the way it did.
Old 10 October 2015, 00:52   #1806
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Not a movie, but I'm really enjoying season 1 of Penny Dreadful.
I have heard that is good and a friend recommended it to me, but I'm busy watching a few other DVDs right now and then the season 1-6 boxset for The Big Bang Theory.
Old 10 October 2015, 05:06   #1807
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah I don't get the hate for the movie, except for some cheesy plot twists. I enjoy it a lot, its one of those movies where I can sort of believe that it would actually play out the way it did.
Yes, unfortunately it is realistic possibility. Sagan was known for his good observations, predictions and science denial issue in states. He predicted in very details what kind of conditions will be on Venus before first Venus probes.

I am watching third season of Arrows, kind of trying to be fair toward marvel, but just note - DC is really messing things up and just a fact that they are unable to keep the same actors for the same characters in different series is big blow to whole DC universe. (most funny is new batman )

I have 2 old movies - Forbidden Planet and Jason and the Argonauts, so will watch bit retro movies... If time permits, I might watch Logan's Run as well. (never tested BR I got some time ago)

@Lonewolf10 - how's big bang theory? I hard good things about the show.

Anyone watched Eureka?
Old 11 October 2015, 14:14   #1808
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Seven Psychopaths

Great. Funky. Movie. Weird & Wonderful.

8.5/10
Old 12 October 2015, 16:42   #1809
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Seven Psychopaths

Great. Funky. Movie. Weird & Wonderful.

8.5/10
Just like I said, watched Forbidden Planet (8 of 10) and Jason and Argonauts (also 8 out of 10). Please note, I watched those movies probably the same way I would play C64 or Amiga game and grade the game - with time of when movie was made in mind.

Forbidden Planet was released in 56, with interesting story and special effects that include drawing and coloring on movie roll. This movie was inspiration for Star Trek. It was funny to hear comment - god creates wonderful worlds... something I don't remember hearing back in childhood.

Jason and Argonauts was released in 63 and it actually in my opinion shows more age then Forbidden Planet. Also to note, movie does not really follow Greek mythology.
Old 12 October 2015, 22:29   #1810
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
@Lonewolf10 - how's big bang theory? I hard good things about the show.
Yes, it is excellent. Whilst I haven't seen the DVD's yet, I have been watching it on TV for years so I already know the show and characters inside out.
It's hugely funny from the very first episode in the first series. There are many great nerdy moments (guest stars include Summer Glau, Katie Sackhoff and Wil Wheaton) and shows the world how us nerds are (though some of it is taken to extremes, but for me they aren't far off how I am...).

I highly recommend it, especially if you already love US sitcoms.
Old 13 October 2015, 14:53   #1811
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Will add it to my list... Thanks!

Arrow season 4 pilot episode just screwed it for me... what the hell they were thinking by starting with where everything will end?!

Last edited by Anubis; 13 October 2015 at 14:58.
Old 17 October 2015, 03:30   #1812
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Went to see M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit.

I found it to be reasonably scary and funny in equal parts, with the light-hearted moments giving the viewer respite from some of the creepier goings-on in this film. The acting was good and the tension ramped itself up well to a white knuckle climax.

I'm not usually a fan of horror films, but I had a good enough time with this one. It's the perfect date movie - you can both laugh at the funny parts, then cuddle when things get more tense.
Old 18 October 2015, 16:05   #1813
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It will be a nice change to see a good movie from MNS again, that's for sure. On the wishlist it goes.
Old 19 October 2015, 16:21   #1814
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Maggie

I can't rate this or give it any kind of honest review. It is absolutely not my kind of movie and I felt detached after watching it, not in any way moved or impressed.

So let me try to stay neutral. Its a zombie movie unlike all others - in that it does not try to create a fictional world, it tries to depict a possible future of mankind where a zombification virus actually does exist, and tries to realistically detail how humanity will react to it. And it does a good job, I'd say.

The problem I have with that is: Its not hard to envision that for yourself, as we've seen it before in the form of the Plague, Aids and Ebola. In essence in this movie the zombie-virus is treated as the next iteration of those historical events, only at the end people don't naturally die in a hospital / quarantine zone - they turn into flesh eating monsters and need to be forcefully put down. The movie itself explores what it does to both the infected and the family/friends of the infected. Not exactly a joyful thing to watch, you can imagine.

So yeah - it didn't grip me in the slightest, to me it was just a applying the zombie craze to depressing historical outbreaks. But I'm sure that there is a large group of people who actually adore this kind of movie and prefer it above standardized entertainment material. Judge it on your own.

Last edited by gimbal; 19 October 2015 at 17:35. Reason: easy = hard
Old 20 October 2015, 01:49   #1815
Lonewolf10

I saw an old(ish) spanish horror film last night: Sexy Killer (2008)

I was watching it with the sound off (as it was past midnight) and the film already had subtitles.
Plenty of chilling death scenes (some predictable and some not). Barbara (aka Sexy Killer) kills 2 guys within the first 10 minutes of the film. Don't worry, she does go on to kill women later on
Not to mention a zombie fest when the dead get brought back to life... only to be killed again!!

It's only got an average (5.8 out of 10) on IMDb, but it's certainly worth a watch if you want to see lots of people getting killed, alongside some comedic moments
Old 20 October 2015, 14:46   #1816
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I saw Insurgent, second movie in Divergent series, just another distopian movie that seems to be popular lately...

I am not sure why I really bothered watching it... but knowing me, when 3rd part is out, I will most likely watch it as well.

Actually ending did make you wonder what is behind the wall, but it is just the same with 'maze runner', or what is inside the walls in hunger games... Probably one of reason I wonder what is behind the wall - because my home is kind of behind the wall where they show the picture of the wall over dried lake Michigan...

5/10
Old 20 October 2015, 18:36   #1817
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Marty McFly: Where are we? When are we?
Doc: We're descending toward Hill Valley, California, at 4:29 pm, on Wednesday, October 21st, 2015.
Marty McFly: 2015? You mean we're in the future?
Jennifer: Future? Marty, what do you mean? How can we be in the future?
Marty McFly: Uh, Jennifer, um, I don't know how to tell you this, but I... you're in a time machine.
Jennifer: And this is the year '2015'?
Doc: October 21st, 2015.
Old 20 October 2015, 18:55   #1818
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Lets face it, we're old
Old 21 October 2015, 13:15   #1819
s2325
Zone Friend

Back to the Future in Poland [ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 October 2015, 02:41   #1820
killergorilla