English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 April 2014, 12:58   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Gordon, I think you're wrong. As long as it feels robust, functions and is a good price people will buy it. Look at the ACA500!

Monty, if users are not going to be changing the PIC. Why not solder the PIC directly to the PCB and save the cost of the socket?

Suggestion : you could use heat shrink on top and hide everything aesthetically. Easily removed should a user want to.
Old 29 April 2014, 13:07   #22
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
And because there is no enclosure you will lose customers who like there Amiga's to be aesthetically pleasing.
Indeed, but some customers are always better than none

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Gordon, I think you're wrong. As long as it feels robust, functions and is a good price people will buy it. Look at the ACA500!

Monty, if users are not going to be changing the PIC. Why not solder the PIC directly to the PCB and save the cost of the socket?

Suggestion : you could use heat shrink on top and hide everything aesthetically. Easily removed should a user want to.
Production units will have no socket, I was only using the socket for development. It won't shave much off the price though - I buy them in bulk from the far east very cheaply indeed.

I don't like the idea of using heat shrink - it's a bit of a schoolboy solution and will hide the LED. Besides - a bare PCB didn't do the Raspberry Pi any harm!

Last edited by TCD; 29 April 2014 at 13:08. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 29 April 2014, 13:34   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
I don't like the idea of using heat shrink - it's a bit of a schoolboy solution and will hide the LED.
What's the LED for? Extra expense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Besides - a bare PCB didn't do the Raspberry Pi any harm!
But cases were available day one and are like £2 each including postage.
Old 29 April 2014, 15:58   #24
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
What's the LED for? Extra expense?

But cases were available day one and are like £2 each including postage.

The LED is mainly for diagnostic mode - it flashes when you press the buttons to show they are working.

In an application like this, where the device is tucked away behind the Amiga where it is rarely seen, most people would agree that a tiny unenclosed PCB is not a big deal.

Also, thousands of PS/2 adapters sold this year back that up.