English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 15 February 2016, 19:43   #1
Amigajay

Unofficial CD32 Release - The Bitmap Brothers Collection

Last edited by Amigajay; 13 January 2023 at 14:24.
Old 15 February 2016, 21:00   #2
spudje

Nice!!!

Speedball 2 original or Speedball 2 CD32?
Old 15 February 2016, 21:07   #3
SkulleateR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Nice!!!

Speedball 2 original or Speedball 2 CD32?
I you follow the link they only took A500 Originals
Old 15 February 2016, 21:43   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

earok always puts the names of the authors of the installs as there the ones who did all the work.
Old 15 February 2016, 22:10   #5
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
earok always puts the names of the authors of the installs as there the ones who did all the work.
Yeah no probs, i will update my blog post when i get time.
Old 15 February 2016, 22:54   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

what's the problem with Speedball 2 on CD32Load?
Hmmm playing Cadaver without saves is really a challenge!! I hope you included pre-saved games.
Old 15 February 2016, 23:25   #7
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
what's the problem with Speedball 2 on CD32Load?
Hmmm playing Cadaver without saves is really a challenge!! I hope you included pre-saved games.
Crashes when 'loading game' appears (at the same time it starts flashing on whdload version) no luck using novbrmove either.

Sorry I'm not advanced yet to figure out how to put saves into a disk image for use with whdload.
At least its doable in under 4 hours if you have a spare day to play it!

Plus of course there is room for improvements to the disc, cd32load versions of SB2 and Xenon, possible nvram saving for SB1/2 not sure how much ram required, though I'm guessing for SB2 its too much as they used codes for the CD32 version, save games on the disc for cadaver.

Any help will go to a better v1.1!

Last edited by Amigajay; 15 February 2016 at 23:31.
Old 16 February 2016, 01:30   #8
earok

Wow, very nice you beat us to it.
Old 16 February 2016, 09:01   #9
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
I you follow the link they only took A500 Originals
Oh yeah, sorry I missed that line. Great, I prefer the original Speedball2 over the CD32 version.

I will so try this out when my CD32 is back from its recapping job.
Old 16 February 2016, 21:38   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

Had a Speedball II game using latest CD32Load (0.14), worked fine (apart for some trashed sounds once in a while)
For Cadaver, you could just include some savegames on the CD, and the player could load them and enjoy the levels. I think I include some in my whdload install.
AFAIR SB crashes on save. Of course not here
NVM support is planned at some point for CD32Load but this is tricky as you know.

My CD32 works fine and now plugged to my old VGA LCD screen. Time to burn some discs.
Old 16 February 2016, 22:56   #11
Amigajay

Quote:
Had a Speedball II game using latest CD32Load (0.14), worked fine (apart for some trashed sounds once in a while)
For Cadaver, you could just include some savegames on the CD, and the player could load them and enjoy the levels. I think I include some in my whdload install.
AFAIR SB crashes on save. Of course not here
NVM support is planned at some point for CD32Load but this is tricky as you know.

My CD32 works fine and now plugged to my old VGA LCD screen. Time to burn some discs.
Good news about Speedball II, does Xenon work do you know?
Old 17 February 2016, 00:37   #12
Amigajay

Sorry guys i received a takedown notice about this release, so i have removed the download.
Old 17 February 2016, 01:48   #13
Amiga1992

Seriously????????
Yeah because a CEE DEE THIRTY TWO disc will surely impact sales of Speedball 2 on iOS

Disgusted. Sorry this happened to you amigajay.
Old 17 February 2016, 02:20   #14
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Sorry guys i received a takedown notice about this release, so i have removed the download.
So sorry mate it bites when that happens.
Old 17 February 2016, 02:31   #15
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Seriously????????
Yeah because a CEE DEE THIRTY TWO disc will surely impact sales of Speedball 2 on iOS

Disgusted. Sorry this happened to you amigajay.
I am certainly sorry this happened but I do not think there is anything wrong with Montgomery (or whoever issued the notice) dictating what people can do with what is his property.

It's his, we simply do not have a say about what we can do with it.
The fact that it would make our lives more convenient does not entitle us to do it.

If you owned a similar property you would certainly look at this differently.
Old 17 February 2016, 09:14   #16
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I am certainly sorry this happened but I do not think there is anything wrong with Montgomery (or whoever issued the notice) dictating what people can do with what is his property.

It's his, we simply do not have a say about what we can do with it.
The fact that it would make our lives more convenient does not entitle us to do it.

If you owned a similar property you would certainly look at this differently.
It's ok guys, i totally respect Mike wanted me to take this down, i kinda expected it in a way, esp with social media and it was put around Twitter like mad on Monday, i guess my future releases will be more low key i.e my blog and this board!

Maybe he's waiting back to hear on takedown notices on the various dozen other sites hosting his games in adf and whd formats?!
Old 17 February 2016, 09:34   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
It's ok guys, i totally respect Mike wanted me to take this down, i kinda expected it in a way, esp with social media and it was put around Twitter like mad on Monday, i guess my future releases will be more low key i.e my blog and this board!

Maybe he's waiting back to hear on takedown notices on the various dozen other sites hosting his games in adf and whd formats?!
Been no takedown requests for my CD32 version of Gods, though that might change obviously.

Maybe it was the entire collection that was the problem, not individual titles.
Old 17 February 2016, 10:08   #18
jotd
This cat is no more

If you release the same games among 400 others you won't get a takedown notice...

I respect Mike but why the f**k doesn't he license his IP to real coders/designers who will expand the great titles: Chaos Engine, Gods, Cadaver ... specially because I'm sure level editors are still avail.
There was an interesting project on Gods in semi3D (seen on youtube): stopped.

What's the use of this IP since it does not sell too well except to enthousiasts...

(I hope I won't receive a takedown notice for my remakes!!)
Old 17 February 2016, 10:26   #19
SteveUK

that's a real shame - I hope you carry on your good work maybe you have been unlucky with this one. Maybe it just required asking for permission?
Old 17 February 2016, 18:13   #20
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:

He cannot be watching everything in real time.

This said, maybe he would be opened to the idea of an official release?
After all, you already did all the necessary work and all he'd need would be to sign a license deal where he would get x% of the sales you make

This would mean that you would then be selling CDs instead of ISOs so that is some extra work but maybe the guys who already distribute Tank Furry have the logistic need to organize it and you could get a deal with them?

This way everyone would be happy, not only would they have a Bitmap Brothers collection but it would be an official one. Also, the limited amount of sales would possibly incite Mike to be more tolerating.

Quote:
I respect Mike but why the f**k doesn't he license his IP to real coders/designers who will expand the great titles: Chaos Engine, Gods, Cadaver ... specially because I'm sure level editors are still avail.
There was an interesting project on Gods in semi3D (seen on youtube): stopped.

What's the use of this IP since it does not sell too well except to enthousiasts...

(I hope I won't receive a takedown notice for my remakes!!)
I imagine his day to day job takes him already quite a bit of time that he does not have much free-neurons to allocate to this task. Which is why I think it would be worth for coders here to do some of that job for him and propose him the whole COTS package where the only thing he has to do is test the CD and sign the licensing deal.

Since the takedown already took place, there is now really nothing to lose by asking for an official deal.