English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 February 2013, 12:35   #1
vagrant

WHDLoad tooltypes not saving

I wasn't sure which thread to put this under..
This problem has me confused indeed.

All I'm trying to do is add custom tooltypes to my whdload games in my classicwb winuae setup.

The tooltypes appear to save fine, they survive a reset. However as soon as I run the game and quit, whatever tooltypes I saved have mysteriously vanished

My 1200 died recently so I have transferred my games from the CF hard drive to my winuae installation, maybe relevant?
Old 20 February 2013, 12:49   #2
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by who View Post
I wasn't sure which thread to put this under..
This problem has me confused indeed.

All I'm trying to do is add custom tooltypes to my whdload games in my classicwb winuae setup.

The tooltypes appear to save fine, they survive a reset. However as soon as I run the game and quit, whatever tooltypes I saved have mysteriously vanished

My 1200 died recently so I have transferred my games from the CF hard drive to my winuae installation, maybe relevant?
it's perhaps cause by whdload Statutp windows bug which save modified tooltype?

what is concerned whdload's patch?
Old 20 February 2013, 13:04   #3
vagrant

Um not sure I understand the question, but it happens with all games using the latest whdload public build.. also, strangely, any "executestartup" or "executecleanup" tooltypes seem fine. It only happens with nocache, expchip etc.
Old 20 February 2013, 14:22   #4
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by who View Post
Um not sure I understand the question, but it happens with all games using the latest whdload public build.. also, strangely, any "executestartup" or "executecleanup" tooltypes seem fine. It only happens with nocache, expchip etc.
ok i will inverstigate

what is you config? (OS, Kickstart, etc..)
Old 20 February 2013, 14:44   #5
vagrant

Thanks CFOU
Oddly I don't remember this happening the last time I used this winuae config..
ClassicWB UAE setup, P96, KS3.1, 020+FPU, JIT 8mb, 128mb fast etc.
Old 20 February 2013, 14:59   #6
vagrant

Looking at some more whd games here I found some I installed a while ago that had NOCACHE enabled. If I run these games and quit, NOCACHE is still listed in tooltypes.
If I delete NOCACHE, add it again and save - NOCACHE has again vanished after quitting the game.. bizarre!
Old 21 February 2013, 23:50   #7
vagrant

As it turns out everything is ok when boot with minimal startup. Something was wrong within the classicwb installation.. no idea what!
I've since made a new rtg setup and all is fine.
Old 29 December 2014, 01:10   #8
TjLaZer

I am having the same problem. Every time I add a tooltype, it adds it, but when I run the game and exit. and go back to the tool type the just added tool types are gone!

Any other fix I can try? Using an A600 WB 3.1.

-edit-

Nevermind, it was just this game that was causing this problem. Apparently you just click the boxed on the pop up and it saves it... (Ghosts 'N Goblins)

Last edited by TjLaZer; 29 December 2014 at 01:27.
Old 20 August 2015, 14:32   #9
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
As it turns out everything is ok when boot with minimal startup. Something was wrong within the classicwb installation.. no idea what!
I've since made a new rtg setup and all is fine.
This no longer be relevant to you but.. If you stick an older version of WHDLoad (16.9 in my case) in the game folder it stops the tooltype from disappearing.

I had this problem today when trying to set "NOCACHE" on Rodland. The music on the title screen misses the occasional bass note when playing, I can't confirm this doesn't happen running on A500 but it sounds wrong. I've tried NOCACHE and EXPCHIP but doesn't help.
Old 20 August 2015, 14:49   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Actually there is a problem with all ClassicWB >LITE. Scalos seems to cause the problem with not saving the tooltypes. Using ClassicWB LITE (with the normal WB working) fixed it for some guys. We had a thread here. Maybe it was related to Tinylauncher only, can't remember.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 August 2015 at 15:11.
Old 20 August 2015, 15:07   #11
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Ah I see. I`m currently using Classic Workbench ADV. I suppose I could install ClassicWB LITE. Seems strange that sticking an older version of whdload in the game drawer fixes the problem.
Old 21 November 2015, 16:03   #12
lolafg

Hello , it's an old thread but i have the same problem , is there a way to correct this problem ?

Thanks in advance as this problem is annoying
Old 21 November 2015, 16:32   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

If you use any ClassicWB setup with Scalos. Go back to CWB LITE.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:02   #14
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
If you use any ClassicWB setup with Scalos. Go back to CWB LITE.
Thanks but that isn't a solution , maybe Bloodwych could have a look to Scalos...

Maybe Mods should put this thread in Classic workbench thread as it's not a Winuae problem...

Waiting a solution i'll prepare my whdload tooltypes in another configuration...

Thanks.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:11   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I'm afraid the problem/incompatibilty is Scalos itself and not Bloodwyches CWB setups.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:23   #16
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I'm afraid the problem/incompatibilty is Scalos itself and not Bloodwyches CWB setups.
Yes i understand , and it's a little bug but if Scalos is the problem , would it be possible to use another program in replacement ?

It's just that i like a lot the CWB P96 because of his power and retro feeling !!
Old 22 November 2015, 14:56   #17
lolafg

Well , i think that with scalos the tooltypes seems not to be saved as they aren't seen after using the game or restarting the emulation BUT in reality the tooltypes are there.

ie : i removed 'Scalos:Modules/information.module' and Scalos will fall back to using the workbench.library standard version AND i can see the tooltypes i puted earlier....so it seems to be only a visual bug
Old 22 November 2015, 15:25   #18
Bloodwych

I can't reproduce this.

The tooltypes save fine, used the ClassicWB UAE version to test.

Added a tooltype Quitkey=$59 (F10) using Scalos Info requester, hit return and saved.

Launched the game various ways - also from HD directory and a HDF file - and the tooltype is still present. WHDLoad 18.1.

You could try and install PeterK icon support in the My Files -> Install -> Icons drawer, that updates some files and requesters, but to do that you will need to install the latest UAE version (as of today) as older versions will not have the script flag set on the install files and will break your config..

This was due to zipping up Amiga hard drive folders (HDFs are fine) when using the PC version of ZIP in Windows does not preserve script flags, so had to change the install procedure.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 November 2015 at 20:58.
Old 22 November 2015, 17:23   #19
lolafg

Hello Bloodwhych and thanks for your answer !

Well i have made a pc booting directly into Classic Workbench P96 , to achieve this i'm forced to use Win XP SP1 , the last Winuae working with XP SP1 is the v2.01 so newer ones are not for me...

It seems that some tooltypes or command as ExecuteStartup , ExecuteCleanup are saved corectly (always presents and shown).

Others as NoCache are saved but won't be visible after using the game or restarting the machine (however they are visible after a CTRL AA reset...)

Well i know now that tooltypes are saved and work so no more a problem if i don't see them in scalos info requester.

Last edited by lolafg; 22 November 2015 at 19:41.
Old 22 November 2015, 19:06   #20
Bloodwych

Wow, you're right. What a strange bug to only affect certain WHDload tool types.

EDIT:

Just reread your post - you say it still works as expected, just disappears from the requester.

As a workaround installing PeterKs icon pack seems to fix it (as mentioned above):

You could try and install PeterK icon support in the My Files -> Install -> Icons drawer, that updates some files and requesters, but to do that you will need to install the latest UAE version (as of today) as older versions will not have the script flag set on the install files and will break your config.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 November 2015 at 21:00.