English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 October 2017, 11:04   #1
franeti

Cd32 incorrect laser position

Hi! I have a cd32 and sometimes the position of the laser is in the other side of the spindle, and when I turn it off the cd32 doesn’t return to the spindle, so I cant load the games.

Do you know how to do it? the other time that I fix it, was after closing the lid many times, the laser came back alone.

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Last edited by franeti; 17 October 2017 at 11:13.
Old 17 October 2017, 15:27   #2
Amiga1992

Weird that it parks there.
Open it up and slide the laser to the park position, and see what happens.
If the drive continuously parks the lens there there has to be an issue with your unit.
Old 17 October 2017, 19:36   #3
amigoun

I have the same issue with mine. I have to manualy move the lens back (by moving gearwheel) everytime this happens. Its very annoying as the cd32 needs to be dissassembled to move the gearwheel. Seems like this happens mostly to me if I use burned cds.
Old 17 October 2017, 20:32   #4
Amiga1992

It could be a sign of a dying lens. Maybe you could change it, it's cheap and easy.
Old 17 October 2017, 21:53   #5
franeti

Hello, and thanks for your quick reply. I use burned cds, maybe that’s the reason and the lens are close to die as well.

If I move manualy, i feel I’m going to break it. It’s hard, is there any tip to do it?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Old 17 October 2017, 22:07   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post
Hello, and thanks for your quick reply. I use burned cds, maybe that’s the reason and the lens are close to die as well.
I don't think CDRs damaged it. I use CDRs too and never had this problem.

Quote:
If I move manualy, i feel I’m going to break it. It’s hard, is there any tip to do it?
You can't move it while it's assembled, you have to disassemble the CD32 and let the head loose. Look at this thread of mine on how to change the lens, for instructions on how to remove the assembly and move the head:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84408

Picture 5 and 6 show how to remove the cog that keeps it in a location. Do that and move back to parking position, re-assemble and try again.
The most important part is to pay attention , have patience and be careful.
Old 17 October 2017, 23:33   #7
franeti

The times I've got it, I have not disarmed it, I've only inserted the tip of a knife into the hole, I've left the lid open and sometimes it works. Today I tried also pushing the lens a little while keeping the tip of the knife inside... I know it, my procedure is a mess

This only happens with one compliation and today with a dvd (it was a mistake burning). For the other games works...

Old 17 October 2017, 23:35   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post
The times I've got it, I have not disarmed it, I've only inserted the tip of a knife into the hole[...]Today I tried also pushing the lens a little while keeping the tip of the knife inside...
Well buddy, you will be lucky if you didn't ruin the displacement cog by doing this. This is not the way to fix things/treat electronics and you know it.

If you can't open the thing up, you can't fix it. Simple as that. Anything you are doing with a "knife" is damaging it more.
Old 17 October 2017, 23:39   #9
franeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well buddy, you will be lucky if you didn't ruin the displacement cog by doing this. This is not the way to fix things/treat electronics and you know it.

If you can't open the thing up, you can't fix it. Simple as that. Anything you are doing with a "knife" is damaging it more.

The knife does not touch anything, by presence the orange led turn on. I insert the knife in the hole where I close the lid. Maybe I did not explain myself well before.

I push the lens a little bit with my fingers and with the knife emulate that I close the lid. But I repeat, the knife doesn´t touch nothing.
For example, today I have recorded a verbatim cd. It seems this brand is not good for the cd32. Then the lens again is crazy. I did the process and now is in the good position. And other cds burned (imation brand) works perfectly.

Last edited by franeti; 18 October 2017 at 09:52.