English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 November 2018, 15:28   #21
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_m74 View Post
@ Amiga Passion..
Do you recap Amiga 3000`s? (as not listed)
Hello, yes I do:

http://www.amigapassion.co.uk/produc...pping-service/

Thanks!

Steve
Old 23 November 2018, 15:29   #22
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
“This is a recapping service in which your Amiga 4000 mainboard will have all it capacitors replaced.”

do not want to be too picky. but does this also include all ceramics?
Your absolutely right, I will change it, I know and you know what I mean but many others may not :-) thanks!
Old 21 April 2019, 04:16   #23
rvctech

Hi,

I am located in Sydney Australia, and am willing to provide repair services to residents of Australia only.

Background: Professional electronics design engineer with years of experience designing, assembling, re-working and repairing high-value (non-consumer) electronics. Long term Amiga user!

All work will be performed using professional grade equipment and high-quality components sourced from top-tier suppliers. This is not a hobbyist operation.

I offer the following services, but if you need something not listed please ask:

- Capacitor replacement on any Amiga (CD32/A600/A1200/A4000 etc), Commodore machine or peripheral

- Repair of Amiga or Commodore machines due to electronic failure or battery leakage (memory, logic chips, audio circuit, CD32 power switch rebuild)

- Repair of motherboards due to damaged tracks

- Removal or replacement of damaged connectors such as the CD32 CD-ROM connector or the A600/A1200/A4000 IDE connector

- EPROM/GAL programming service for any type of GAL, EPROM or other DIP package programmable device used in an Amiga, Commodore machine or peripheral (A3000 GALs, A2091 ROMs, etc)

- Assembly of TF330 and other Amiga DIY kits (PCB and parts may need to be supplied)

My repair services are offered to help Australian Commodore/Amiga users and will be offered at my discretion only and subject to my terms and conditions. I do not offer free technical support via e-mail unless I have previously performed a paid repair for you.

If you live in Sydney you are welcome to attend a meeting of the Sydney Amiga User Group (SAUG) where you can receive free in-person technical support and advice from our members. Note: Entry fees to cover our room hire costs apply.

Please see http://saug.org.au for more information on the Sydney Amiga User Group (SAUG)

Last edited by rvctech; 07 April 2020 at 04:16.
Old 21 April 2019, 11:54   #24
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvctech View Post
Note: The SAUG website is blocked to non-Australian IP addresses. If you use a VPN or proxy you will not be able to access the site.
Except VPN to Melbourne for instance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_295 Apr. 21 12.49.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	62862  
Old 22 April 2019, 08:43   #25
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Except VPN to Melbourne for instance...

That's true, I meant to say that it won't work for non-Australian VPN's .

Due to the Australian government's policy on metadata collection from Australian internet providers, I don't know if an Australian based VPN can be considered to offer the "privacy" that people usually associate with a commercial VPN service..!
Old 24 May 2019, 13:30   #26
Heywood

Thumbs up

I would like to give two thumbs up to rvctech for repairing my CD32. This was not just a recap but involved troubleshooting and replacing a few faulty ICs with like for like components, resolving tracks that perished thanks to electrolytic goop as well as removing a frankenstein toggle switch some clown decided should be located on the front of the unit after soldering it in with a blow torch with the kind of switch the CD32 was born with back in the proper spot.

Communications were clear and friendly, I found the pricing very reasonable and the service outstanding. Definitely recommend you reach out to him if you are located in Australia and need some Amiga work.

I most likely see if he will service my A600 nce I pry it back off my brother.

Quote:
Hi,

I am located in Sydney Australia, and am willing to provide repair services to residents of Australia only.

Background: Professional electronics design engineer with years of experience designing, assembling, re-working and repairing high-value (non-consumer) electronics. Long term Amiga user!

All work will be performed using professional grade equipment and high-quality components sourced from top-tier suppliers. This is not a hobbyist operation.

I offer the following services, but if you need something not listed please ask:

- Capacitor replacement on any Amiga (CD32/A600/A1200/A4000 etc), Commodore machine or peripheral

- Repair of Amiga or Commodore machines due to electronic failure or battery leakage (memory, logic chips, audio circuit, CD32 power switch rebuild)

- Repair of motherboards due to damaged tracks

- Removal or replacement of damaged connectors such as the CD32 CD-ROM connector or the A600/A1200/A4000 IDE connector

- EPROM/GAL programming service for any type of GAL, EPROM or other DIP package programmable device used in an Amiga, Commodore machine or peripheral (A3000 GALs, A2091 ROMs, etc)

- Assembly of TF330 and other Amiga DIY kits (PCB and parts may need to be supplied)

My repair services are offered to help Australian Commodore/Amiga users and will be offered at my discretion only and subject to my terms and conditions. I do not offer free technical support via e-mail unless I have previously performed a paid repair for you.

If you live in Sydney you are welcome to attend a meeting of the Sydney Amiga User Group (SAUG) where you can receive free in-person technical support and advice from our members. Note: Entry fees to cover our room hire costs apply.

Please see http://saug.org.au for more information.

Note: The SAUG website is blocked to non-Australian IP addresses. If you use a non-Australian VPN or proxy you will not be able to access the site.
Old 15 June 2019, 14:57   #27
Keith Ruhl

I recently purchased an Amiga 2500 from the states. Unfortunately it has some bad traces because of the dreaded Varta battery leakage. I removed the 68000 processor socket but there are at least 3 to 4 via's that need replaced. Any suggestions?
Old 15 June 2019, 15:42   #28
kinmami
Golden Boy

Send a message via ICQ to kinmami Send a message via AIM to kinmami Send a message via MSN to kinmami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ruhl View Post
I recently purchased an Amiga 2500 from the states. Unfortunately it has some bad traces because of the dreaded Varta battery leakage. I removed the 68000 processor socket but there are at least 3 to 4 via's that need replaced. Any suggestions?
First of all, make sure you clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol.
If the vias are completely damaged, the only way is to re-establish the missing connections by welding some AWG28 or AWG30 wire from one side to the other of the motherboard.
Old 15 June 2019, 15:45   #29
rvctech

Hi Keith,

It is possible to directly repair damaged vias and tracks (not using wires), however if you have no prior experience doing this, I would suggest that you check whether a local repairer can do this for you.
Old 06 August 2019, 08:50   #30
cyberfox_it

Bridgeboard repair

Hello,

is there someone who can repair my bridgeboards ?
I've a 2386 and a 2088 to repair...

Helppp!!
Old 05 April 2020, 22:24   #31
Tandrews-ny

I am in Rochester, NY. I am new to the service industry but have been working on retro hardware for many years (RGB mods, etc).

I specialize mainly in Amiga 2000 repair. I also do recapping of most Amigas (500/600/CD32).

Amiga 2000:
* Battery damage
- I generally rebuild the entire front of the board if necessary so top quality parts replacing original trashed parts.
* Socket replacement
- 68000 replaced with a high quality machined socket
* Slot replacement

Amiga CD32/600/500:
* Capacitor replacement

I can also build most surface mount kits.
Old 14 April 2020, 01:39   #32
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtorro View Post
Denmark, Coppehagen

Specialized in SMD Amiga recap and upgrades, in the best possible quality - NOT on hobby level - using pro equipment with decades of SMD rework experience.

I provide full transparency on the work done, including high-res closeup pictures of the SMD work - no hidden mistakes.

For references check out my thread:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?66002

Or if you don't have an Amibay account there is a contact form at BBOAH:
http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...g-service.aspx

Where in Denmark?
I have some a4000, a600 and a1200 there need to be repaired.
Old 11 May 2020, 11:16   #33
eXeler0

Its a solid list, but some of the ppl writing here posted a couple of years ago. Do we have anyone who now also repairs Vampire boards?
Old 11 May 2020, 21:35   #34
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Its a solid list, but some of the ppl writing here posted a couple of years ago. Do we have anyone who now also repairs Vampire boards?
Whats up with the Vamp?
Old 11 May 2020, 23:07   #35
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
Whats up with the Vamp?

Well..after working normally for a while I now just see a black screen. It stopped working just like that, from one day to the next, no other changes to the hardware it was running on (recapped A600, A500 PSU..)

Seems to be working to some extent though - if I flash the core, Quartus Programmer goes through the whole procedure, so I guess there's power and the FPGA is not dead and I guess its seated properly if the flashing completes without errors?
Also the`LEDs on the board seem to show its working, and it had the extra caps added supposedly making it more reliable with newer cores.

In the pre-gold days it was quirky about new cores (this was before the extra caps) but these days I can't find any .jic older than Gold2 to try with.
Old 12 May 2020, 03:32   #36
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Well..after working normally for a while I now just see a black screen. It stopped working just like that, from one day to the next, no other changes to the hardware it was running on (recapped A600, A500 PSU..)

Seems to be working to some extent though - if I flash the core, Quartus Programmer goes through the whole procedure, so I guess there's power and the FPGA is not dead and I guess its seated properly if the flashing completes without errors?
Also the`LEDs on the board seem to show its working, and it had the extra caps added supposedly making it more reliable with newer cores.
Although you are able to communicate with the FPGA via JTAG, the part could still have for example cracked solder joints. There may also be other issues with the board. Perhaps the installation of the "extra caps" was done poorly or they are of poor quality or incorrectly rated. There are quite a few possibilities and failure scenarios.

Since this hardware is still supported (in production even) it is probably best to seek a warranty repair/replacement from the original suppliers rather than to attempt a repair. If a repair attempt were to fail, you would then be in no position to seek a warranty repair/replacement.

In some jurisdictions the onus of the original supplier to repair/replace a faulty product within a "reasonable" post-purchase time frame is covered by consumer law, especially if the product has been unreliable since you bought it.
Old 12 May 2020, 12:05   #37
eXeler0

Quote:
Although you are able to communicate with the FPGA via JTAG, the part could still have for example cracked solder joints. There may also be other issues with the board. Perhaps the installation of the "extra caps" was done poorly or they are of poor quality or incorrectly rated. There are quite a few possibilities and failure scenarios.

Since this hardware is still supported (in production even) it is probably best to seek a warranty repair/replacement from the original suppliers rather than to attempt a repair. If a repair attempt were to fail, you would then be in no position to seek a warranty repair/replacement.

In some jurisdictions the onus of the original supplier to repair/replace a faulty product within a "reasonable" post-purchase time frame is covered by consumer law, especially if the product has been unreliable since you bought it.
Howdy,
well my v600 V2 is the first gen of V2s from Majsta, so its been a while. It was a bit quirky from start and I had problems with flashing it back then Only older cores (silver-era) would work so then I sent it back to Majsta. So the Cap-job was done by Majsta himself maybe 1.5 -2 years ago.. can't remember exactly.
Anyway, it worked fine for a while after that until it basically "died" (black screen).
By now its too old for any real warranty to be valid. It is what it is..

Edit: The way things are, I'm looking for someone within EU who could have a look. Also, Majsta is both outside EU and very busy with V1200 etc and I don't think he should have to deal with his products beyond normal warranty period either.

Last edited by eXeler0; 12 May 2020 at 17:46.
Old 14 May 2020, 18:47   #38
eXeler0

Ok, so not a whole lot of repair options for Vampire cards I guess..
Old 30 May 2020, 10:47   #39
grahamn

I am able to offer a repair service / recapping service / ReAmiga and A500++ build service. I'm not focussed entirely on Amiga, but have been repairing home computers and game consoles since the mid 1980s.

I am based in Burnham on Crouch, Essex, UK, but most of the work I do comes in by courier. My website (very basic!) is at www.retrofix.co.uk and I also advertise on eBay from time to time, though I will normally be able to offer a better price than eBay if you contact me directly.

Graham Newman
Old 25 January 2021, 22:42   #40
brett71

Is there anyone in North America that services CRT monitors, such as the 1084-P models?