English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 16 December 2018, 10:12   #1
killego

The Shadow of the third Moon & Trauma 0 on cd32+TF328

Hello to all Amiga users. Has anyone tried to run those 2 games with this configuration?
In my experience, Tsottm stops working after the introduction because the CD-ROM is not in the drive. It seems a problem with the configuration of the CD-ROM and more specifically with the CD.device file. It's strange that the demo version works without problems.
I know that the trauma 0 runs on my configuration, but I can only see the background of the first stage, without sprites, for a few seconds before it freezes. I suspect the problem is in the iso file (found here), because I get this result only by changing the trainer's options before booting. Otherwise the game stops at the menu.

Do you have any advice? thanks for any help.
Old 16 December 2018, 11:48   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hey killego,

Welcome to EAB

Regarding The Shadow Of The Third Moon; can you not get around this CD-ROM not in drive issue by copying the required files to hard drive and a clever assign?

Regarding "Trauma 0"; or T-zer0 as it's better known... there is already a thread related to this on the TF328: T-zer0 CD32 TF328

...not good news I'm afraid.
Old 16 December 2018, 12:53   #3
killego

Thank you for your replay. About Tsottm, the manual says that if you are unable to find the CD.device file, you can manually write the file name...however, It doesn't work. I tried with cdtv.file (the only that I was able to find in a CD compilation) that I copied in the WB driver drawer, but nothing. I do not understand what you mean with "assign". Maybe the assign command? Sorry, but I was out from the Amiga world for years, and I am no more skilled with Shell commands. My hope is that some other peoples try and someone more skilled can find a solution. I think It is a very good game but It seems that few people know It.
About T-zero I read that thread. However, they tried to make a bootable version of the game. Inversely, I tried the normal version, installed in my CF drive and booted by WB. I know that someone had success playing this game. I asked to Airracer to answer to this thread. I think he can shed the light on his success running this game in an identical configuration. Let's see....
Old 16 December 2018, 13:06   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killego View Post
Thank you for your replay. About Tsottm, the manual says that if you are unable to find the CD.device file, you can manually write the file name...however, It doesn't work. I tried with cdtv.file (the only that I was able to find in a CD compilation) that I copied in the WB driver drawer, but nothing. I do not understand what you mean with "assign". Maybe the assign command? Sorry, but I was out from the Amiga world for years, and I am no more skilled with Shell commands. My hope is that some other peoples try and someone more skilled can find a solution. I think It is a very good game but It seems that few people know It.
About T-zero I read that thread. However, they tried to make a bootable version of the game. Inversely, I tried the normal version, installed in my CF drive and booted by WB. I know that someone had success playing this game. I asked to Airracer to answer to this thread. I think he can shed the light on his success running this game in an identical configuration. Let's see....
I have both games working with CD audio in WinUAE; but guess that's not what you want to hear...

For TSotTM I had to set "uaescsi.device" + "0" for the CD-ROM device but that will only work in WinUAE.

...not sure what device a CD32 uses; maybe someone else could advise.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:10   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CD32 has cd.device and cdtv.device (which exists for CDTV compatibility) but if I remember correctly, T-Zero uses SCSI CD audio commands (HD_SCSICMD) which is not supported by CD32 (or CDTV) device drivers.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:16   #6
killego

Yes, it's right. but this only affects the audio tracks.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:17   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
CD32 has cd.device and cdtv.device (which exists for CDTV compatibility)
Thanks Toni

For TSotTM can you try setting "cd.device" + "1" for the CD-ROM device?
Old 16 December 2018, 13:24   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes, it's right. but this only affects the audio tracks.
You're talking about this error hey?

It is to do with the audio tracks and the game won't continue unless it find a valid CD device.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:38   #9
killego

Yes, It is this...but I can't explain why the demo version runs without issues. However, It has no audio tracks. I tried to use the executables and routines of the demo version, by copiyng them in the drawer of the full version, changing names and so on...but I had the same problem.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:40   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Audio tracks probably are used as a basic copy protection.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:42   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes, It is this...but I can't explain why the demo version runs without issues. However, It has no audio tracks. I tried to use the executables and routines of the demo version, by copiyng them in the drawer of the full version, changing names and so on...but I had the same problem.
The above error I posted occurs just before the audio kick in... until you've set a valid CDROM device you won't get past this.

The guide says:

Did you try using "cd.device"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Audio tracks probably are used as a basic copy protection.
Seems that way.
Old 16 December 2018, 13:47   #12
killego

No. Where I could find It? Aminet? I only searched in my CD-ROMs (where I found the CDTV.device)
Old 16 December 2018, 13:53   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
No. Where I could find It? Aminet? I only searched in my CD-ROMs (where I found the CDTV.device)
I think it should be in the ROM; hence why the guide says:
If you have an SCSI CDROM which uses the standard scsi.device you have to write it's name by hand because it is in ROM and not in Devs: directory.

Look at the last example i.e.

Code:
CD32+SXPRO               cd.device
Old 16 December 2018, 14:00   #14
killego

Tried to write its name, but never tried selecting the real CD.device file.
Old 16 December 2018, 14:21   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Tried to write its name, but never tried selecting the real CD.device file.
In the "Configuration" program?

Also, you can get "cd.device" from these archives on Aminet:

... A1200Atapi_Ita.lha
... AtapiPnPUpg.lha

Failing that though, I'm out of suggestions... sorry.
Old 16 December 2018, 14:27   #16
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

cd32, it's cd.device unit 0 (not unit 1).
Old 16 December 2018, 14:29   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
cd32, it's cd.device unit 0 (not unit 1).
I thought so... but wasn't sure... anyway, I'm definitely not a CD32 expert and have never even seen / used a TF328

...besides I have no way of testing here; just giving killego suggestions for him to try.
Old 16 December 2018, 14:44   #18
killego

Thank you DamienD, I'll give It a try with those aminet archives. Answering ti your question: I wrote CD.device (unit 0) in the "Configuration" program, insted of use the search button. Also the demo version start with this device by default. however, the only think that I never tried is the use of a real cd.device file...I'll give you updates but I think I will try with the new year, since holydays are coming. Thank you to all.
Old 16 December 2018, 15:35   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It must be "cd.device". Device names are case sensitive.
Old 08 January 2023, 16:42   #20
killego

Ok, I spent some hour during my Christmas vacation and I solved this problem... 4 years later. I just downloaded the shadowgvp.lha file from aminet and changed the Y3D executable with this version that is compatible with the sx32. The game is now playable on Tf330.