English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 September 2017, 23:48   #181
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I'm here. As impressive as Alarcity is, it is but one game, and it hasn't been released.
Thanks, though I didn't have anyone particular in mind
Post was also a bit self-trolling () as I openly supported in another thread that -indeed- biggest problem in the scene is the lack of new titles and their level of quality.

However that's one thing we are trying to achieve here with AlarCity. And it would be a mistake not to mention that other Amiga titles currently in the making do follow this same pattern.

In general I think that threads like "Why is the homebrew scene on the Amiga not as impressive..." do a fine service to motivate people and it's a sign of maturity for the community to engage in this collective effort and discussion. In a sense we are currently in the aftermath of this 'calling', as many teams (new and old) are actively responding, pulling resources and commiting countless workhours to meet expectations. And again, it's not only AlarCity that may be raising the bar. Many other examples come in mind: Bridge Strike, Furtum sacrum, Powerglove, Reshoot-R and Scourge of the underkind are only a couple (there are obviously many more awesome -under development- Amiga games you could add to this list).

So, where does that leaves us to? In a transitional phase I might say. It's now the community's turn to respond and show as much support to as many projects as possible. More quality and quantity means more development hours and reaching the end line is an emotional and physical marathon for most teams and developers. So, the least "we" (as public) can do is pop up and give our thumbs up. There are -of course- more "active" ways to support developers (given the team has provided options to the public to do that) but I'll come back to this in a next post.

Last edited by Tsak; 09 September 2017 at 23:53.
Old 10 September 2017, 09:03   #182
spacey

oh cool. sadly i didn't make it to NZGDC this year, but great to see the interest in the game. i'm looking forward to this.
Old 10 September 2017, 09:06   #183
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
oh cool. sadly i didn't make it to NZGDC this year, but great to see the interest in the game. i'm looking forward to this.
Ah, thanks mate!

Do you go along to the monthly game developer meetups at AUT by chance?
Old 11 September 2017, 09:03   #184
spacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Do you go along to the monthly game developer meetups at AUT by chance?
nah, i'm based in wellington. we have monthly meetups here which i haven't been to in a while - need to get my act together!
Old 11 September 2017, 12:00   #185
Foxman

I have PreOrderd this game, it looks really fantastic.
Do you know when it will be released?
Old 12 September 2017, 09:38   #186
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
I have PreOrderd this game, it looks really fantastic.
Do you know when it will be released?
Thanks for the preorder! We're working on the release campaign, some news will be coming shortly
Old 12 September 2017, 11:20   #187
Foxman

I'm happy for that. Keep up the good work
Old 06 October 2017, 00:03   #188
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

An update from us:

Alarcity is going to be playable at 3 continents & events around the globe this month!

- At AmigaOn: Ontario - Canada, 7th of October
- At the Armageddon Pop Culture Expo: Auckland - New Zealand, 22nd of October.
- At Amiga32: Neuss - Germany, 28th of October.

Huge thanks to our hosts!

Last edited by Tsak; 06 October 2017 at 00:11.
Old 06 October 2017, 00:21   #189
DamienD
Banned

Well done guys; I'm sure people will be very impressed and hopefully that helps sales
Old 06 October 2017, 07:03   #190
Tarzin

@Tsak,
May be, you could contact TripleA members. A presentation at Alchimie 12 (the biggest Amiga French meeting) could be done?
It's in November (I'll be there)

http://www.triplea.fr/blog/
Old 06 October 2017, 09:37   #191
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Next weekend there is Bytefest, a retro computers event here in Prague as well ;-)
Old 06 October 2017, 19:42   #192
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Sounds awesome, thanx guys! However we're in the dark here. We can only arrange any presentation if there's someone who can take the responsibility of hosting and present our game in person (also means taking care of the booth, machine, print material e.t.c.). If any of you know the teams organising those events and can get us in contact with any individual who'd like to host our game, we'd surely love to!
Old 07 October 2017, 08:05   #193
Tarzin

@Tsak,
Could you simply release an HDD demo version? (last I've seen is 0.2)
I can use my personnal computer and show Alarcity with WinUAE on a videoprojector (and/or make personnal demonstration for interested people)

Alchimie is a 3 days non stop Amiga event with nearly 130 Amigafans
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 October 2017, 09:37   #194
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Tarzin: Thanks a lot!
Actually today at 'AmigaOn' we're showcasing our work in progress v1.0 (so, more like v0.9). Chances are that by the time of Alchimie the official v1.0 will be out in the open. Nontheless we could keep contact if you like (to give you additional material e.t.c.). If you've got a facebook account or mail pm me
Old 23 October 2017, 12:34   #195
earok

Auckland Armageddon Pop Culture Expo

Old 30 April 2018, 23:46   #196
earok

It's been a little while since I've posted an update about AlarCity, so here goes.

My focus for the last little while has been a new mode I've internally nicknamed 'AlarTV', which as the name suggests is kind of a SmashTV-riff. Essentially: There's a dungeon with multiple paths through, not all of them are equally balanced (some contain harder rooms, and some contain more treasure), but all of the converging branches rejoin again. The "leveling up" is spaced out so you'll hit the level up at the very end of a more challenging room (rather than 'at random' throughout the mode). And yeah, it won't be "endless" like survival mode but have an end goal to reach. There isn't really anything to show yet because I'm working with stand-in art assets, but it's coming along.

The plan is for 'AlarTV' to be the second of three modes, alongside Survival mode and the final Story/Quest mode.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:49   #197
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Also really looking for this one.

"AlarTV" sounds quite cool!
Old 28 May 2018, 09:56   #198
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
It's been a little while since I've posted an update about AlarCity, so here goes.

My focus for the last little while has been a new mode I've internally nicknamed 'AlarTV', which as the name suggests is kind of a SmashTV-riff. Essentially: There's a dungeon with multiple paths through, not all of them are equally balanced (some contain harder rooms, and some contain more treasure), but all of the converging branches rejoin again. The "leveling up" is spaced out so you'll hit the level up at the very end of a more challenging room (rather than 'at random' throughout the mode). And yeah, it won't be "endless" like survival mode but have an end goal to reach. There isn't really anything to show yet because I'm working with stand-in art assets, but it's coming along.

The plan is for 'AlarTV' to be the second of three modes, alongside Survival mode and the final Story/Quest mode.

Really makes sense
Old 28 May 2018, 10:36   #199
Amigajay

Quote:

Sounds really good Earok, i know some people like endless modes, but i prefer a goal to aim for, so the more options for players to better!

Shaping up to be a must have Amiga game, but take your time guys and get it right first time, we dont want any messy patches!
Old 29 May 2018, 11:30   #200
earok

Thanks guys!

Ahem.. no promises, there might be something to see on AmigaBill's stream tomorrow. But if there is, it'll be a showing of AlarTV in it's rough current state.

There's currently no indoor tileset for AlarCity (so I'm reusing some of the survival mode art assets as stand-in), but if you've seen Tsak's amazing work on Worthy, you'll have some idea of what AlarTV (and other indoor sections in the game) will eventually look like