English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 November 2009, 20:09   #61
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Lucky for gilgamesh that we're a little more open-minded here on EAB, eh TCD?
Old 16 November 2009, 20:27   #62
gilgamesh
Linux snob

The voices in my head told me to do it.

Old 16 November 2009, 23:24   #63
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Que? I'm sure you had something in mind when you wrote that, but I can't figure it out I think Galahad was talking about the 'mainstream' market and I think (apologies in advance if I got that wrong) you're talking about another audience. Point is which HW Hyperion will target with OS 4.2 now and how that will change the current situation.
Yeah, I went a little off topic from Galahad's talk of possible new Amiga platforms (in general... not OS4-only).

I'm probably I'm a bit biased by my own preferences, just because I can't see me buying a new HW platform that doesn't run f.ex. WB 3.1 natively, doesn't mean there aren't others.

I guess I think the Amiga I knew is perfectly nice and enjoyable, and don't feel the need to change platform to run an OS that has been updated to do what Win/Linux/OSX does. But OS4-lovers will disagree and ofc that's the topic at hand.

Maybe I'd change my mind if it was ported to x86, or if there was some nice handheld gizmo that used it, but I don't think so. I'd be perfectly happy with something new that runs WB 3.1 natively
Old 17 November 2009, 20:16   #64
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Windows 7 is faster and cleaner. I have had the RTM version on my work laptop for two months now. But what does that or Linux have to do with anything?

These kind of comments were all over yesterday during the show. Maybe someday people will grasp the concept that the Amiga OS has and never will be open source. If you want Linux, just go use linux!
Faster/cleaner than what? Vista? not hard! XP? not unless you are a blind retard comparing XP to Win7

This a M$ bloo-eee sorry. Win7 is nothing more than Vista SP3+++ with a really shit looking GUI replacing the first Windows GUI that didn't look shit or old. It is NOT the Windows Vienna tiny microkernal running in 40k they first showed...that effort was canned due to lack of coding talent at M$ (nothing new there then lol)

It boots as slowly, occupies as much RAM, runs just as badly on a very capable 1ghz P3 with 768Mb RAM (this comment is for all the idiots proclaiming Win7 is as fast as XP haha idiots) and well it's still windows, with that dumb-ass registry shit to get clogged up every 6-18 months.

Nothing to see....move along...same bloatware crap...different logo.

And one thing Win XP/Vista/7 can NOT do is what OS4 does when running Wipeout 2097 on the desktop....resize the window at the pixel level smoothly...it can only run these games (if at all now XP install is required remember..dumb asses removed XP compatability!) in a fixed resolution if you're lucky to run them in a window on the desktop.

Anyway, back on topic...what is Amiga? Is it some old custom chip designs? Is it some old operating system? Is it an ideal for super efficient reliable friendly and above all else technologically superior alternative to Mac/Wintel? What is it? How do you define it?

Owning the OS is not owning Amiga, and unless they port OS4 IMMEDIATELY to hardware that is not crap like SAM boards that is READILY FOR SALE then it is a very hollow victory for us as Amiga enthusiasts.

The only thing that anyone with a brain owning the Amiga IP would do is an Amiga version of the C64 DTV...now that would sell bucketloads...but no I bet we get more obscure useless crap coming out of both :

Failing that they would be better off to buy AROS somehow....finish it....and sell it to us finished and complete with built in version of UAE and a disk controller to read Amiga HD formats natively, have 9 pin real man's joystick ports and a proper Amiga compatible floppy disk drive in hardware again.

Why is it so hard for both the current owners of Commodore and Amiga to come up with useful ideas
Old 18 November 2009, 00:04   #65
Paul_s

I'm not all that sold on Win 7 myself. I had a hell of a time installing it on some newish PCs at work. Ended up being that the ISO itself was corrupt! Wonderful, half a day wasted messing about :

Server 2008 ISA is still in beta and doesn't work properly... sigh. Was just getting to grips with ISA 2006!

The group policy side of 2008 scares me a little, you could have a job title sorting those out!

Vista was W7 all along although MS just did it's usual Windows ME release inbetween gold releases... please do not define 'gold'

Anyway, it works quite nice Windows 7 from having very little play with it (read less than 12 hours!), bit annoying they have moved everything about - it's like going into a supermarket you've been in for YEARS and then some swine moves all the products around...

Still not decided whether or not to upgrade. Win XP is still supported for a while with patches... could always keep everything on Win XP and use a bootable CD linux install for web surfing. No more viruses!

Last edited by Paul_s; 18 November 2009 at 00:12.
Old 18 November 2009, 00:29   #66
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
@Galahad
I think WindowsCE has been rebranded Windows Mobile Technologies (or whatever) a while ago.

Funny when I read about the base systems on which are built "NG" Amigas, I can't help but wonder whether the vendors did buy a whole lot of those sluggish 9250 ATI adapters in the late 90s (and other clunky parts) to reissue so-called Amigas later on at a premium price.
I mean the mobo is the only thing "new", the CPU is non-existant compared to modern ones or even to G4s, that's a bit thin to get people spend hundreds of euros or so.

This settlement comes up way too late, still, I think it's good news. AmigaOS will gain respect from MorphOS users, at least for it being considered legalized OS dope .

Last edited by NewDeli; 28 November 2009 at 02:55.
Old 18 November 2009, 04:07   #67
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Anyway, back on topic...what is Amiga? Is it some old custom chip designs? Is it some old operating system? Is it an ideal for super efficient reliable friendly and above all else technologically superior alternative to Mac/Wintel? What is it? How do you define it?

Owning the OS is not owning Amiga, and unless they port OS4 IMMEDIATELY to hardware that is not crap like SAM boards that is READILY FOR SALE then it is a very hollow victory for us as Amiga enthusiasts.

The only thing that anyone with a brain owning the Amiga IP would do is an Amiga version of the C64 DTV...now that would sell bucketloads...but no I bet we get more obscure useless crap coming out of both :

Failing that they would be better off to buy AROS somehow....finish it....and sell it to us finished and complete with built in version of UAE and a disk controller to read Amiga HD formats natively, have 9 pin real man's joystick ports and a proper Amiga compatible floppy disk drive in hardware again.

Why is it so hard for both the current owners of Commodore and Amiga to come up with useful ideas
Individual Computers is coming up with a clone of the AGA chipset called Clone-AA. It may just be the retro machine you're looking for. And since Hyperion owns AmigaOS 3.1 they may just be able to do something with it. Whether they actually upgrade 3.x before they sell it remains to be seen.

As for why they haven't come out with it yet, there's still one outstanding patent on the AGA chipset that expires next year. I suspect you'll see a nice small palmtop machine with an LCD screen running AmigaOS 3.10 or so in short order once that patent expires.

The AROS approach is full of pitfalls. The Kickstart replacement bounty stalled with loads of undocumented features of the original Kickstart yet unfinished. As for the hybrid of AROS and AmigaOS, AfaOS works but is not on a level with OS 4.x in terms of capabilities. On top of that, the CyberGraphics/Picasso96 drivers for the OS 3.x setups are buggy compared to the OS 4 and MOS versions.

We'll just have to see what happens when that one patent expires.
Old 18 November 2009, 04:35   #68
Pyromania

@Samurai_Crow

Your right AROS seems stalled at the moment. MorphOS & Amiga OS 4.1 just seem to have more polish and speed.
Old 18 November 2009, 04:52   #69
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@Pyromania

I wouldn't say AROS as a whole is stalled. They're getting hardware-accelerated 3D via the Gallium 3D drivers. That bounty is almost complete.
Old 18 November 2009, 04:58   #70
Pyromania

@Samurai_Crow

That's a cool development.
Old 18 November 2009, 15:28   #71
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Happy

What a weird subject title!!

Technical as I am, I really thought they were putting up some sort of NT-style ACLs in AmigaOS!

Too good, really.
Old 30 November 2009, 16:49   #72
Flink

I still think the AmigaOS/MorphOS could be a nice niche embedded system. I so think that, in fact, I will probably use one of them in my next project (a home automation system).

Why use an Amiga-based system?

* I like the Amiga spirit!
* Supports smaller, innovative companies, good for the economy.
* Really small, efficient and fast operating systems.
* "Secure" (different from mainstream OSs, unexploited) and virus "immune".
* Usually lower power consumption hardware, good for the environment.
* Usually cheaper than a Windows system (Windows is payed separately, and current versions usually need better, more expensive hardware to perform well).

MorphOS goes on a very interesting path here, complying with almost all points (assuming it will run on the "smarttop"). AmigaOS is still relatively expensive, and so is it's present hardware (Sam440), but that could be easily fixed now that Hyperion have nothing to hold them back.

No, I don't think the Amiga can go on battling Windows or MacOS X, but it's really interesting from the embedded/dedicated point of view.
Old 17 December 2009, 11:42   #73
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink View Post
* I like the Amiga spirit!

This so-called Amiga spirit is dead long, long time ago!
Old 17 December 2009, 15:40   #74
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
This so-called Amiga spirit is dead long, long time ago!
D'OH!