English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 March 2018, 20:04   #21
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah I know about trying to boot from OF but that's a pain in the ass every damn time you want to boot. NONE of the G4/G5 PPC Macs boot directly from USB as far as I know, maybe some of the newest G5s do, but definitely not the one I have either, you have to do the OF shit every-single-time
I succeeded booting a correctly prepared installation from a USB stick on one PowerMac G4 (I was able to select it from the Alt menu), but the same stick didn't work same way on Mac mini, for example. Maybe it's some firmware version difference.

Also if you have new enough firmware, booting from an ISO file from a USB stick becomes easier if you use the ud: device. For example, my 1.5GHz Mac mini, 1.42GHz IBook, and 1.67GHz Powerbook boot the iso just with this line (no need to search exact device numbers):
boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso

Quote:
Gave it a quick look (my iBook's battery is shot so it doesn't last long), and my first impression was that it's not very quick. The fan of the iBook was on all the time, something that doesn't happen with Tiger.
My 1.42GHz IBook doesn't run the fans all the time, only occasionally when I do something more heavy on it. What kind of IBook do you have?

Quote:
Odyssey took FOREVER to load, how is this even useful? Is this any faster if it was installed proper?
Odyssey initializes fonts when run it the first time. If you have installed system on HD, it doesn't do that again and starts pretty much immediately in normal use. But when you start it from ISO/CD, it naturally can't write the initializing stuff to the drive, and that's why it does it every time in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Would the install method given by the live CD partition the drive without losing teh data on the OSX partition?
No, the automatic installation wipes out the existing data, but here is a guide for dual booting:
https://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf

I've made dual-boot systems in both ways, if I have first installed MorphOS and if I have first installed OSX. It's pretty straightforward when you know what's needed.

Quote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with it being running off an ISO on a USB stick, but Odyssey takes forever to start, "reading fonts" or something. Didn't really feel speedy but also didn't really do much else, had nothing much to try (gotta install some Amiga apps see how it works)
Yes, Odyssey doesn't initialize the fonts in normal use on an installed system.

There are many nice programs on the CD to try, see applications, tools, and utilities directories.

You can also install nice stuff via Grunch or download all kinds of things from MorphOS Storage.
Old 29 March 2018, 21:36   #22
Amiga1992

Thanks for all that, I'll give this a try some other time with some patience.
Won't mess with it until I can install it on a hard drive though.
Old 29 March 2018, 22:49   #23
kolla
Banned

I have just set up a boot menu with an entry for "\\bootiso.img bi tmp:morphos.iso" - so I just copy the new latest appropriate boot.img to bootiso.img on the bootstrap partition and rename the latest morphos 3.x iso to morphos.iso on my TMP: partition. Then reboot and select the entry, and off it goes, as if booting from CD drive. From there I just use the installer to update the system.

This is the "blessed" boot menu file for my morphos, macos and linux system (it boots to yaboot and linux by default)

Code:
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
MacRISC MacRISC3 MacRISC4
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
First Stage Bootstrap
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
: .printf fb8-write drop ;
: bootyaboot " Loading second stage bootstrap..." .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\yaboot" $boot ;
: bootmorphos " Booting " .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\boot.img" $boot ;
: bootmorphosearly " Booting " .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\boot.img bootmenu" $boot ;
: bootmorphosiso " Booting " .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\bootiso.img bi tmp:morphos.iso" $boot ;
: bootmacosx " Booting MacOSX..." .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " hd:4,\\:tbxi" $boot ;
: bootcd " Booting CD.." .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " cd:,\\:tbxi" $boot ;
: bootof " Entering OF.." .printf 100 ms load-base release-load-area " hd:,\\:tbxi" $boot ;
" screen" output
variable interactive
1 interactive !

0 interactive @ = if
  bootyaboot
then

dev screen
" "(0000000000aa00aa0000aaaaaa0000aa00aaaa5500aaaaaa)" drop 0 7 set-colors
" "(5555555555ff55ff5555ffffff5555ff55ffffff55ffffff)" drop 8 15 set-colors
device-end
f to foreground-color
0 to background-color
" "(0C)" .printf

" First Stage GNU/Linux Bootstrap"(0d 0a)" .printf
"  "(0d 0a)" .printf
" Press l for GNU/Linux,"(0d 0a)" .printf
"       m for MorphOS, "(0d 0a)" .printf
"       b for MorphOS (no startup-sequence)."(0d 0a)" .printf
"       i for MorphOS (TMP:MorphOS.iso)."(0d 0a)" .printf
"       x for MacOSX."(0d 0a)" .printf
"       c for CD."(0d 0a)" .printf
"       o for OpenFirmware."(0d 0a)" .printf
"  "(0d 0a)" .printf
" Stage 1 Boot: " .printf
get-msecs d# 10 3E8 * +
begin
  key? if
    key case
      ascii l of " l "(0d 0a)" .printf bootyaboot endof
      ascii m of " m "(0d 0a)" .printf bootmorphos endof
      ascii b of " b "(0d 0a)" .printf bootmorphosearly endof
      ascii i of " i "(0d 0a)" .printf bootmorphosiso endof
      ascii x of " x "(0d 0a)" .printf bootmacosx endof
      ascii c of " c "(0d 0a)" .printf bootcd endof
      ascii o of " o "(0d 0a)" .printf bootof endof
    endcase
  then
  dup get-msecs &lt;
until
drop
"  "(0d 0a)" .printf bootyaboot
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>

Last edited by kolla; 29 March 2018 at 22:56.
Old 30 March 2018, 07:54   #24
jPV

Yea, I have also made a dual-boot setup, where it normally boots directly to the latest MorphOS, but if I select the second option from the Alt menu, it shows this self-made boot menu:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bootmenu.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	57547

All the files needed for that can be found here.

And remember that if you ever touch the bootinfo.txt file on the boot: partition, you'll have to "bless" it with the HFSSetMacBoot command or the system won't boot anymore (and you'll have to boot from the CD and fix it).
Old 30 March 2018, 13:53   #25
trixster
Guru Meditating

I used the link jPV mentioned to sort out my triple boot system and can confirm that it works well, the instructions are still valid

https://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf
Old 30 March 2018, 14:17   #26
kolla
Banned

Would actually be cool if the installer could prepare such a menu setup like that
Old 08 April 2018, 13:27   #27
drwhy

... hmm ...
I have tried to update my MacBook G4 (Tripple installation, MacOS, Linux & MorphOS)
but it fails telling me that there is not enough space left on my Boot-Partition !

... wah ... don´t want to re-install all 3 OSs ...
Old 08 April 2018, 18:03   #28
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwhy View Post
... hmm ...
I have tried to update my MacBook G4 (Tripple installation, MacOS, Linux & MorphOS)
but it fails telling me that there is not enough space left on my Boot-Partition !

... wah ... don´t want to re-install all 3 OSs ...
Yeah, don't re-install everything. I'm sure the problem can be solved other ways.

Check what you have on your Boot: partition. If you have backups of the old MorphOS boot.img files there, they can be deleted freely to make space on the partition. Backups are named like boot_(lotsofnumbers).img (for example, boot_180404124854.img).

If you just have too tiny Boot: partition and there aren't any backups to delete, maybe you could remove the current MorphOS boot.img. Your system won't boot anymore, but if you boot from a CD or USB device for the update, I guess it should copy a new one there when installing. One option would also be to copy the new boot.img manually there and hope that installer recognizes it and doesn't try to make a backup.
Old 08 April 2018, 21:07   #29
AC/DC HACKER!

Greetings all,

I got 3.10 dual-booting on my X5000. After I made backups of AmigaOS 4.1.1 and all data. I wasn't able to get MorphOS to install without doing a fresh install. Then reinstalled AmigaOS 4.1.1 back.

When I started, I wondered why MorphOS booting from CD stalled. After about 15 minutes of nothing but showing that it was booting...I realized it didn't notice my Graphics Board, one of the common for X5000 users. I went looking for an ATI board I packaged away, this is before I read the list of currently supported boards, and it's noticed fine.

Only problem is..when booting to AmigaOS 4.1.1, doing a "reboot fast" causes the machine to become stuck in the reboot process. So I *have* to push the reset button if I don't use "reboot". I'm not going to constantly switch Graphics Boards and I don't do a lot of resetting of AmigaOS 4 anymore since things are going very well, unless I forget to unplug my Atari Joystick (via USB) from it..haha!

MorphOS 3.10 looks pretty good, but it's a bit different than Amiga I have known for many, many, many years. So far I'm not able to get Payback 68K to go beyond the "freeze" when showing the progress bars when attempting to connect to sound, or load sound files.
I LOVE the SnoopDOS like program, had to modify some settings but that's awesome!! I wish (or does?) a program like that exists for AmigaOS 4.1. The 68K version sort of works, but... Anyway, I'm still becoming used to MorphOS.

I did notice that that I have to use the MorphOS HDPrep or AmigaOS 4's HDToolBox like program for switching between the 2 OSes. Just like my A4000's Dual boot between OS 3.x's... At first, when AmigaOS's program informed me of a Faulty RDB I was wondering if it repairing it would destroy it, but nope...whew! I have Payback 68K running fine with AmigaOS 4, and at some point I'll have it working with MorphOS.

Anyone, one of the X5000 users that has it dual-booting. Yay! Haha! So far, though, I don't "yet" think I'll be using MorphOS 3.10 more than AmigaOS. I hope to change that since it is actively more supported.

Is there a way to get MorphOS to use/SEE all 4GB of my X5000's RAM that AmigaOS 4.1.1 does not??

Cheers, everyone.
Old 08 April 2018, 22:07   #30
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Is there a way to get MorphOS to use/SEE all 4GB of my X5000's RAM that AmigaOS 4.1.1 does not??
Nope, not a chance. To be compatible with AmigaOS software, it is restricted to the same limitations as 68k AmigaOS when it comes to memory and address space. The max amount of RAM you can see is... 1720MB or thereabouts(?), as lots of address space is dedicated and reserved for other use than system memory.
Old 08 April 2018, 22:38   #31
AC/DC HACKER!

Not a possibility... I've read this a few times but still wondered. I'll probably go ahead and remove the other stick then and "save" it until I needed sometime. Not any sense in keeping it in there if it's not being used at all like my Doze 7 with 16GB is used.
Old 09 April 2018, 19:39   #32
jPV

Quote:
MorphOS 3.10 looks pretty good, but it's a bit different than Amiga I have known for many, many, many years.
Internally (DOS, directory structures, libraries, etc) it's very much like AmigaOS, but the biggest difference comes in the Ambient desktop, which is heavily inspired by Directory Opus Magellan. It can be configured to simplier behaviour of Workbench too, if it would make you feel more familiar Here is a guide how to make it look like OS4 I don't know if it still would work, but earlier it was possible to run real Workbench 3.9 instead of Ambient on MorphOS too

Quote:
So far I'm not able to get Payback 68K to go beyond the "freeze" when showing the progress bars when attempting to connect to sound, or load sound files.
Hmm.. Payback works for me on Mac mini. Are you trying in hardware accelerated or software rendered mode? Have you tried WOS version instead of 68k version?

Quote:
I LOVE the SnoopDOS like program, had to modify some settings but that's awesome!! I wish (or does?) a program like that exists for AmigaOS 4.1. The 68K version sort of works, but...
Snoopy should be similar program for OS4.

Quote:
Anyone, one of the X5000 users that has it dual-booting. Yay! Haha! So far, though, I don't "yet" think I'll be using MorphOS 3.10 more than AmigaOS. I hope to change that since it is actively more supported.
Great to hear that you got dual OS setup to work! I would like to get some real OS4 machine for me sometime too... too bad there isn't Peg1 version, because I have that and many Macs
Old 09 April 2018, 20:30   #33
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
the Ambient desktop, which is heavily inspired by Directory Opus Magellan.
If only Ambient listers were as programmable (arexx) as DOpus Magellan listers.

Back in the days, I made lister views in DOpus for all kinds of things, from simple IMAP and NNTP client scripts, with DOPus listing my inbox and browsing usenet groups (and double click to read), to lister for displaying and letting me control CD players and play music from MP3 folders on remote linux systems. Last summer I revisited this ability of DOpus listers, but then for doing remote management of virtual hosts at Digital-Ocean via rsh (which Olaf "Olsen" was superkind to create for me over a weekend!) for Roadshow. Sitting on the MiST with PPP over serial link to a Pi Zero (built into the MiST), creating and destroying vhosts at DO using buttons and menus in DOpus, and seeing them come up and vanish in the DOpus lister was quite satisfying If time permits I will work more on that, and I have an idea about how to use the listers for k8s as well... being able to administrate both VMs and k8s-clusters from the MiST sounds amusing
Old 09 April 2018, 22:03   #34
Locutus

...Thats actually pretty hilariously awesome :-D
Old 10 April 2018, 17:25   #35
jPV

Yeah, Magellan is just insanely cool and powerful program, it still is after all these years, and we probably never will see as comprehensive program/desktop for us ever again. TBH I'm still mostly using it instead of Ambient for my daily MorphOS use. Ambient is kind of a compromise between Magellan and Workbench.

I haven't made as cool scripting as kolla (yet, but not giving up using it any year soon, so some day, some day) But I've scratched the Magellan ARexx functionality by making a script which I use to update my demoscene releases web page. It digs file_id.diz files from archives, gets size and date information from DOpus listers, shows DOpus progress bar while doing it in batch, uploads files with ftp to the server, etc. And some smaller scripts/functions to copy file comments and stuff like that.
Old 13 April 2018, 03:24   #36
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Internally (DOS, directory structures, libraries, etc) it's very much like AmigaOS, but the biggest difference comes in the Ambient desktop, which is heavily inspired by Directory Opus Magellan. It can be configured to simplier behaviour of Workbench too, if it would make you feel more familiar Here is a guide how to make it look like OS4 I don't know if it still would work, but earlier it was possible to run real Workbench 3.9 instead of Ambient on MorphOS too
I never used, and still don't, DOpus 5 as a Desktop, I never cared for it that way. I attempted to several times. I love the listers and being able to D-Click on the "background" and have another display. That and have sounds associated with them. Most of my sounds are from Max Headroom. Love, love, Loved that show and character.
I'm not a fan of OS 3.9 other than Fast Mem being able to be used for most graphics; excluding games. There are a few bugs I've noticed. I'm still a big fan of 3.1 and 3.5. But I get your drift.

That's a trip about Directory Opus Magellan as I didn't notice that. Again, not a lot of usage yet.

Quote:
Hmm.. Payback works for me on Mac mini. Are you trying in hardware accelerated or software rendered mode? Have you tried WOS version instead of 68k version?
Both exe's and....Hardware mode I think. I'll power it on again soon and have another look.

Quote:
Snoopy
Quote:
should be similar program for OS4.
Laughing, at first I wondered "What is THIS? A blank screen?", more laughing, as I was very much expect something like the same OS 3.x interface or MorphOS's slight change. I'm not a fan of pulldown menu's for everything, but I found the settings. A little more "complicated" than the previous 2 but, but, and but...it's looking pretty cool so far. Appreciate the tip.

Quote:
Great to hear that you got dual OS setup to work! I would like to get some real OS4 machine for me sometime too... too bad there isn't Peg1 version, because I have that and many Macs
You'rrre really good, giggling, how did you hear me without me saying anything? Giggling. I'm going to get the info of RDB noted soon because I'd prefer OS 4.1.1 to be the first partition on the drive. I can be very particular that way. I was initially a bit bugged when I got it because the Original AmigaOne does a lot of stuff a little differently, and AmigaKit didn't inform me about that. I was doing some research, because part of the aim was have it for when the Classic and Picasso 4 stop functioning (which since mine have been repaired shouldn't be a for a long time) and I wanted more speed. WinUAE is brilliant, especially once CSPPC support was added, but I still dig real machines. A4000 D and T are my babies, but I also want to support what's coming. I became in love with the Amiga 1000, to 4000 and still...even though we have Windows (8 and 10, yuck!) and Mac which "acts" a bit like Amiga with the Multi-Screens, they still don't have the Feel. Also, am tired of Apple's DRM stronghold...so I'm leaving them and I cannot stand the new "Metro" look, and it's been fun coming back to Amiga.
Peg 1 isn't supported? I thought I'd read in the Setup that it is. I read quickly as my focus was X5000. I was REALLY excited and expected "out of the box". So far, that's the only bummer. But, it'll do for now. I think, for all that I've seen that the Morph team is doing a great job. I know there are features I haven't yet explored.
Old 13 April 2018, 03:26   #37
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
If only Ambient listers were as programmable (arexx) as DOpus Magellan listers.

Back in the days, I made lister views in DOpus for all kinds of things [...]
WOW!! I got into them also to handle many things I did but you...got me beat in some very interesting ways. *Scratches Chin* Hmm...
Old 13 April 2018, 18:08   #38
jPV

Quote:
Both exe's and....Hardware mode I think. I'll power it on again soon and have another look.
Hardware mode uses Warp3D, which isn't supported on all graphics cards. Maybe you have a newer card where the legacy 3D support was dropped? In that case you'll have to use the software rendering.

Quote:
Peg 1 isn't supported?
Yeah, OS4 only supports Peg 2.
Old 13 April 2018, 21:35   #39
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Hardware mode uses Warp3D, which isn't supported on all graphics cards. Maybe you have a newer card where the legacy 3D support was dropped? In that case you'll have to use the software rendering.
Wazp3D functions decently well with OS 4 with the GFX board that came with my X5000 and this older one I had to use to run MorphOS 3.10, but the Warzp3D Prefs, 68K or MorphOS specific won't run...or rather, won't show the GUI with my MorphOS install. For fun I also moved the wazp libs to SYS:Libs instead of recommended to see if that would matter. But I understand the author of Wazp knows what he's doing so...*Shrug*. I chalk it to the graphics board so far since the Prefs doesn't display.
Software rendering is the only choice for Payback 68K and WOS. So, I think, yeah, this board isn't yet supported. Not a big deal, so far, the Wazp prefs run under OS 4 and so does Payback 68K and WOS (without sound).

I'm more curious than anything else as to what's happening. I'll poke around more this Weekend probably. The Wazp3D install is pretty clear. Using that SnoopDOS type program I can see files needed are being loaded, but I'm wondering...why it stops in that process. The screen first shows a bit garbled, but I can see Payback's Progress Bar where it stops after the 2nd bar. If I flip screens, and return to Payback's...the screen is then Black and the progress bar colors look correct...so, indicators of GFX board it looks like.

Quote:
Yeah, OS4 only supports Peg 2.
Ahh...
Old 16 April 2018, 10:01   #40
thellier

Hello
>Wazp3D-Prefs [...] won't show the GUI with my MorphOS install
So Wazp3D is not installed well as Wazp3D-Prefs is not a real prefs program but only some code to start the prefs-gui that is built-in Wazp3D: I mean: No Gui = No Wazp3D

Beware that latest Wazp3D for Morphos is a "fork" from BSzili that is not in main aminet/wazp3D
See here for installation guide
http://www.batteman.com/2017/08/amig...s-morphos.html